IGNORED

All time history top tier league

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Who supports MK Dons? A new fan from the MK area or the old Wimbledon fans? Surely the old Wimbledon fans would now go back to AFC Wimbledon 

Something I’ve always wondered and never been able to ask

I was thinking exactly the same seeing the footage from  Saturday

33 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Who supports MK Dons? A new fan from the MK area or the old Wimbledon fans? Surely the old Wimbledon fans would now go back to AFC Wimbledon 

Asked this to a couple of MK fans walking out of Ashton gate a few years back - one was from Milton Keynes, one was from Wimbledon!

4 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

AFC Wimbledon fans loathe MK Dons.  Last season the Wimbledon programme for the home game against "the franchise" showed the teams as "Wimbledon" v "Milton Keynes" (omitting the "Dons").  There was a complaint made to the EFL afterwards by MK.

3 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

This isn't about MK Don's, this is about BCFC currently iverachieving compared to history and a huge thumbs up to SL, MA and LJ. 

Ahh we have a new verb (which you’ve spelt incorrectly Hampshire, old boy).

Ivorachieving - to piss off everyone

17 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

AFC Wimbledon fans loathe MK Dons.  Last season the Wimbledon programme for the home game against "the franchise" showed the teams as "Wimbledon" v "Milton Keynes" (omitting the "Dons").  There was a complaint made to the EFL afterwards by MK.

Some Wimbledon fans must have supported MK Dons when there wasn’t a Wimbledon to follow anymore because they were Wimbledon in a different location? 

That table kinda confirms that Villa is a very big club ..... it can’t be disputed - their sojourn into the championship will be a temporary blip in their proud history - who cares if their fans come across as arrogant?! It’s part of being a fan - defending your team’s history and standing in the game - and that table shows that Villa is a big fish in English football ... they’ve played more top flight games than Man Utd ...

6 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Some Wimbledon fans must have supported MK Dons when there wasn’t a Wimbledon to follow anymore because they were Wimbledon in a different location? 

There are a few, a very few, who stuck with MK, no more than a handful now. The vast bulk as you would expect down here are local fans, and it’s getting to the stage where an increasing number of them do not even remember the ‘history’. 

Having said that the best supported teams here seem to be Arsenal and Spurs.

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Me too - Wimbledon stayed up in the top div for a remarkable 14 seasons, ruffling feathers every week! I loved ‘em! How dare MK steal that achievement....

O, I do agree and all that. Not going to defend MK, but I guess it is fair to say they did not create this table. The official line down here for some time has been they make no claim to the sporting records of Wimbledon. Bloody right to, and surprised they have not dropped the ‘Dons’ bit by now.

21 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Nobody show this to a villa fan, we won't hear the end of it. 

.... Villa has played more top flight games than Man Utd - Villa is a very big club - I don’t blame their fans for crowing about it either...

... if we’d been founder members of the football league, won the European Cup, won the top tier 7 times, the FA cup 7 times, the league cup 5 times, the European Super Cup once and the Intertoto Cup once - we’d be crowing loud for decades .... as a comparison, we wet ourselves when we won the third div and Johnstone’s Paint Trophy and boasted about our ‘double winning season’ .... 

It’s actually a bit embarrassing how our fans try to belittle Villa on here and other social media platforms - Villa is a huge club, it is in a blip, but it will get back to where it has spent pretty much all its history.

Bristol City is tiny compared to Aston Villa, not sure why we can’t acknowledge it at all, ever ....

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

O, I do agree and all that. Not going to defend MK, but I guess it is fair to say they did not create this table. The official line down here for some time has been they make no claim to the sporting records of Wimbledon. Bloody right to, and surprised they have not dropped the ‘Dons’ bit by now.

Didn’t they give the replica FA Cup trophy back to Wimbledon a few years ago and asked it to scrubbed from their ‘history’? That was an admirable move...

I listened to an interview with Wally Downes, AFC Wimbledon Manager, a few days ago - he was saying the next move was to get their ‘Dons’ nickname back and for MK to stop using it ....

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn’t they give the replica FA Cup trophy back to Wimbledon a few years ago and asked it to scrubbed from their ‘history’? That was an admirable move...

I listened to an interview with Wally Downes, AFC Wimbledon Manager, a few days ago - he was saying the next move was to get their ‘Dons’ nickname back and for MK to stop using it ....

They gave it back to the Borough of Merton. Not totally up on the politics, but I think their positioning is that neither MK or the new Wimbledon should claim the history of the old Wimbledon. Yes, totally agree about the Dons name as well.

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

How did you get that from this table? It’s not a collation of all results, just top flight ones.

On the other hand, I'm sure a while ago I saw an all-time League table which showed us near the bottom of this division so we are outperforming the historic average.

Agree though that extrapolation of all-time performance from top-flight results is misleading.

13 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

A tiny number of Wimbledon FC fans continued to follow the club after it was franchised to Milton Keynes, the vast majority transferred their allegiance to the phoenix club, AFC Wimbledon. 

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.... Villa has played more top flight games than Man Utd - Villa is a very big club - I don’t blame their fans for crowing about it either...

... if we’d been founder members of the football league, won the European Cup, won the top tier 7 times, the FA cup 7 times, the league cup 5 times, the European Super Cup once and the Intertoto Cup once - we’d be crowing loud for decades .... as a comparison, we wet ourselves when we won the third div and Johnstone’s Paint Trophy and boasted about our ‘double winning season’ .... 

It’s actually a bit embarrassing how our fans try to belittle Villa on here and other social media platforms - Villa is a huge club, it is in a blip, but it will get back to where it has spent pretty much all its history.

Bristol City is tiny compared to Aston Villa, not sure why we can’t acknowledge it at all, ever ....

I don't have an issue with there history which is massive pre 83 but that was almost 4 decades ago, its there acceptance of the present based on there history that's just strange.

They are where they are on merit whereas when you speak to there fans it's almost as if we should pay homage to this team because they were successful nearly 40 years ago.

I agree it is a bit sad the way we talk about our double winning side but at least we still have players from that success. 

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It's worth pointing out that Aston Villa were one of the founder members of the league and that the initial league clubs were all from the North and Midlands.  A lot of the southern clubs joined the league later e.g. Spurs in 1908

15 hours ago, Loderingo said:

It's worth pointing out that Aston Villa were one of the founder members of the league and that the initial league clubs were all from the North and Midlands.  A lot of the southern clubs joined the league later e.g. Spurs in 1908

Spurs are the only non league club (southern league at the time) to win the FA cup.  Not a lot people know that.

Archived