IGNORED

FIFA Women's World Cup : France 2019

phantom

• Admin

The England squad has just been announced this morning:

Goalkeepers: Telford, Bardsley, Earps

Defenders: Houghton, Bronze, Stokes, Daly, Greenwood, Bright, McManus, Williamson

Midfielders: Moore, Walsh, Scott, Carney, Stanway, Staniforth

Forwards: Duggan, White, Kirby, Parris, Mead, Taylor

For anyone not 100% sure, the England group games are as follows.

England v Scotland - Sunday 9 June, kick-off 17:00 BST

England v Argentina - Friday 14 June, kick-off 20:00 BST

Japan v England - Wednesday 19 June, kick-off 20:00 BST

The kits aren't too bad either !

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Admin

Just realised that Sunday 9th June is the final day of the Euro league, England mens side will either be in the 3rd place play off kick off at 2pm, or the final at 7:45pm, with the ladies in between kicking off against Scotland at 5pm

Good squad, no real surprises about the selection - just a little concerned about the depth in midfield. The opener against the Jocks will be a cruncher, and we must be shortish odds for winning the competition.:englandsmile4wf:

• Admin

Interesting column from Millie Bright:

It was incredible to hear that a record 6.1m people watched our opening game against Scotland on the BBC. It makes you wonder what level it could reach in the latter stages.

It's also the perfect response to those who still criticise women's football, but I'd like to add my own thoughts too.

I think some people need to change their mindsets, and part of this comes from using men's football as a reference point, which is perhaps understandable.

Women's football will always be different from men's football, but that doesn't mean you cannot still appreciate it. OK, so it might be a bit slower than the men's game, but then League Two football is slower than the Champions League, and it doesn't stop people turning out to see their local teams.

Forget that it's women's football, and just appreciate the talent on show, whether that's Nikita Parris nutmegging an opponent, Dutch winger Lieke Martens pulling off a textbook Cruyff turn against New Zealand or United States striker Alex Morgan ruthlessly scoring five goals against Thailand.

In many ways, women's football is still in its infancy. The game is still growing and investment is starting to roll into the game. Why do you think that is? Because it's a great product. Sponsors don't make those commercial decisions if they don't think there's anything in it for them.

Look at the backing we get from men's teams, or the likes of David Beckham, who is one of our biggest supporters, or the largest ever TV audience there has been for a women's game in the United Kingdom.

Are all these people wrong about women's football? Of course not.

Sceptics need to appreciate the game for what it is and how we play football. Once you do that, people start to change their mindsets. I've had so many people tell me, 'Wow, the women's game is really good to watch.' And I reply, 'Well, yeah, we are professionals!'

People just need to be open-minded enough to accept the game for what it is. If you don't want to see it then you're never going to appreciate it which is fine, it's your choice. But we appreciate not being slated in the meantime.

Anyone else really enjoying it? I found myself looking forward to the live TV matches.

I’ve  been hugely impressed with the quality of football - certainly much better than I was expecting and even the previously shocking goalkeepers are not as laughable as they once were.

It definitely raises the profile of the women’s game for these matches to be shown worldwide.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Anyone else really enjoying it? I found myself looking forward to the live TV matches.

I’ve  been hugely impressed with the quality of football - certainly much better than I was expecting and even the previously shocking goalkeepers are not as laughable as they once were.

It definitely raises the profile of the women’s game for these matches to be shown worldwide.

Yeah has been so much better than I had anticipated. Some good football played too! 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

The Japanese are so slick. Terrific one touch play  and are unfortunate not to be winning. It’ll be downright robbery if they don’t win this game.

Play a bit like a Pep or Barce side, very impressive. 

6 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Never a pen for me. Blasted from a couple of yards.

The worry is that this is a sign of things to come. Blasted at her from about a yard, is clearly taking her hand away from the ball, and the deciding penalty is given. Japan played some lovely football, and have been robbed. 26th pen of the cup, basically any contact with a hand is given. VAR and this rule are just making it a lottery.

15 minutes ago, cityexile said:

The worry is that this is a sign of things to come. Blasted at her from about a yard, is clearly taking her hand away from the ball, and the deciding penalty is given. Japan played some lovely football, and have been robbed. 26th pen of the cup, basically any contact with a hand is given. VAR and this rule are just making it a lottery.

Yep, rule changes losing all sight of the game and in a couple of years will be unrecognisable as the game we all fell in love with. Tackling will be outlawed, jumping for a header will be banned, defenders will have to wear straight jackets or arm binders, celebrations already being penalised with yellow cards...

• Admin

England centre-backs Steph Houghton and Millie Bright are "major doubts" for their Women's World Cup quarter-final against Norway, says boss Phil Neville.

Houghton was injured in the Lionesses' 3-0 win over Cameroon in the last 16, while Bright has a bug which Neville said was "going through the camp a little bit".

Archived