IGNORED

FIFA Women's World Cup : France 2019

phantom

Well the big show is over. No real surprise the Americans have held sway again, but the general feeling is that the gap between the top nations has closed significantly. In four years time it might be vastly different.

Summing up the whole tournament I think many viewers will have been impressed by the women's game - although the more entrenched views will remain - and that the respect shown is more deserved. How that translates into the national club levels will be seen in time. The real impact will be in the way young girls decide to join a local club and play themselves - just like young boys will have been inspired by the players of their day.

In England's case, we have seen that they have all the necessary to win at the highest platform but didn't quite deliver at all times. Good players, good coaching, good spirit but still a few little weaknesses to work on. There will a bigger spotlight in the forthcoming Euros in 2021 - here in England! Sadly, the nearest venue for that competition will be St Mary's in Southampton.

And as an aside, City Women's opening league fixture is home to Brighton.

5 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Despise it when sportsmen or women. Bring politics into sport. **** off and do what you are gifted at 

Personally I think it’s great when sportsmen/women have something to say politically, they usually talk far more sense than the complete idiots who are In Charge

6 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Really can't warm to this USA team. All the diving, moaning etc... 

So, really hoping Holland can pull of an upset here ???

Exactly how I feel. Not because England lost to them but they are so cynical. And from my viewpoint, they get all 50/50 decisions. Probably not but that's how I feel.

A female version of Colin as their Head Coach?

Really enjoyed most of it. Standard has dramatically improved, some of the passing, control and tricks were sublime. Keepers have generally been very good indeed. VAR needs a serious review itself. Gamesmanship starting to creep in when the stakes were high disappointingly.

England. Despite the massive hype, didn’t enjoy their performances. Have three or so top performers who carried the rest of the team. Bang average though for the most part  and in all matches just switched off for around 20 minutes which is abysmal in a World Cup.

19 hours ago, italian dave said:

What I see is a politician trying to gain political advantage by being associated with a successful team, inviting them to meet him at the White House. And a player saying that she has no wish to validate his misogynist, anti-gay, racist, white supremacist agenda by going and doing his bidding. Fair play to her. 

What if she was a flat out right winger spouting anti gay anti migrant stuff, would that "fair play" too ?

Doubt it somehow...

So impressed by the USA womens football teams stance in refusing to go to the  White House................. as Trump is all about the reflected glory it  would potentially bring him.   Trump then acts like a spoilt brat and accuses them of demeaning the Presidency and American people?   Don'.t u get it You pumped up Dummy?  They are not disrespecting America or the White House.......they are disrespecting You and your misogynist sexist ways you moron!  Instead they get a ticker tape reception in New York from real fans........well done team USA.

Archived