IGNORED

Taxi with an Ex..

RedRoss

I just got a taxi from an ex City player Mommainais Bokoto and talked about football for 10 mins.

We started off talking about Liverpool's win then I mentioned I was a city fan and he said he played for us around 1996 and then got injured either with us or with Lille IIRC.

I was only 7 and a couple of years away from having my ST at city.. I did throw out a few names i.e Carey, Tinnion, Bell and Goater.

He said that Joe Jordan was a great guy and really built a great camaraderie within the team and then he described John Ward as a SOB that used Joe Jordan's good work to get results initially and then when that wore off as did the results. He couldn't have been more praising for JJ and damning for JW. He apparently told Goater he wasn't working hard enough at one stage.

I also asked him who was the biggest character in the team and he said Mark Shail with a big chuckle to himself.

Thought this might interest people who remember that era better than me. I was probably more interested in eating my bogies at that age... nothings changed I guess!

As a teenager I remember watching Mo Bokoto in an end of season reserve game (think it may even have been Gloucestershire Cup) at Bristol Manor Farm's ground.

Joe Jordan was there as son Andy was playing if I recall correctly, but pretty sure it was a year after he had left again, so he wasn't there in any professional capacity.

I never really rated Mo, but he got up and down the pitch a lot. He went on to play for Rovers and I believe even on the Downs League, which may be a Bristol City first.  

Where is he a taxi driver?

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

As a teenager I remember watching Mo Bokoto in an end of season reserve game (think it may even have been Gloucestershire Cup) at Bristol Manor Farm's ground.

Joe Jordan was there as son Andy was playing if I recall correctly, but pretty sure it was a year after he had left again, so he wasn't there in any professional capacity.

I never really rated Mo, but he got up and down the pitch a lot. He went on to play for Rovers and I believe even on the Downs League, which may be a Bristol City first.  

Uber so everywhere I guess..

He picked me up in Avonmouth.

He was my first ever football coach!

A really great guy and a wicked coach.

He forced everyone to spend 10 minutes before each session simply doing kick-ups so that when we were older we could do it with ease and have fun.

He even made me (the keeper) do it.

Hated it every session and now it's ******* easy to do kick-ups and it's weird but I always remember him whenever I see some kid in a park doing kick-ups :laugh:

Every time I see him I give him a big hello.

33 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

He said that Joe Jordan was a great guy and really built a great camaraderie within the team and then he described John Ward as a SOB that used Joe Jordan's good work to get results initially and then when that wore off as did the results. He couldn't have been more praising for JJ and damning for JW. He apparently told Goater he wasn't working hard enough at one stage.

Although I wasn’t in the dressing room, that’s exactly how I recall it. I think Big Joe had got us very much going in the right direction and was unlucky to get the sack. Ward came in and I didn’t think he was anything special, notwithstanding the promotion, then when it came to him actually having to manage a side tactically at the higher level (and without Shaun Taylor), he was wanting and then threw his toys.

I always think of it as Wards promotion - but built by Joe

39 minutes ago, Olé said:

He went on to play for Rovers and I believe even on the Downs League, which may be a Bristol City first.  

You mean he went from us, down a level to Rovers, and then up a level to the Downs league.

That is quite the rollercoaster.

4 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Spudski spots the gas connection

Any more similar thoughts, perhaps about our current 40appearance 'striker'? 

Has nothing to do with the Gas fella...those connections never bother me.

I just found JW a dissingenious manager who used to walk around the stands shaking hands with supporters trying to curry favour. He bailed out and left us in the shit. And because of his actions took us back years. Poor old Benny got really stitched up because of him.

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Pretty sure Nicky Morgan is also a taxi driver (real, fortunately, not fake) and he ferried @SuperDziek home from Lulsgate International once. 

Yep, too man. He said he still lived up in Redland but to my surprise, he said he’d never been invited back to the Gate to watch City.

Surprised by this, personally liked Ward. Is it possible these are the words of a bitter player passing the blame for his own failings onto someone else?

Would definitely disagree he took us back years - for that see Russel Osman and / or Tony Pulis! 

5 hours ago, spudski said:

I just found JW a dissingenious manager who used to walk around the stands shaking hands with supporters trying to curry favour. He bailed out and left us in the shit. And because of his actions took us back years. Poor old Benny got really stitched up because of him.

Sounds like he drove Goater out. Imagine had we kept him we’d have probably a) won the league b) not spunked £3m on strikers and actually replaced Taylor properly. 

20 hours ago, RedRoss said:

I just got a taxi from an ex City player Mommainais Bokoto and talked about football for 10 mins.

We started off talking about Liverpool's win then I mentioned I was a city fan and he said he played for us around 1996 and then got injured either with us or with Lille IIRC.

I was only 7 and a couple of years away from having my ST at city.. I did throw out a few names i.e Carey, Tinnion, Bell and Goater.

I also asked him who was the biggest character in the team and he said Mark Shail with a big chuckle to himself.

Thought this might interest people who remember that era better than me. I was probably more interested in eating my bogies at that age... nothings changed I guess!

I met Mo as he came to watch / coach us a few times at Chippenham. unfortunately I couldn't really remember him as a City player but he's a very nice guy

As far as I know, still works in our acadamy

20 hours ago, Olé said:

I cannot believe that you were at Bristol Manor Farm watching City reserves, Ole. I do not recall ever seeing, let alone reading, your in depth analytical report of this away game including player ratings. Sorry and all that, but for this reason I cannot believe you were there.

17 hours ago, spudski said:

Here we go again. I thought JW was both honest and a bit naive when he said that he’d run out of ideas and wanted help .

The help he wanted was, I believe Mick Harford, but the help he got was Benny. They were never on the same wavelength and it was damaging to the club when JW left and BL found himself doing a job for which he wasn’t hired . 

I liked JW and BL but the directors cocked up . 

The only bad thing I have to say about JW was that he nearly ran me over , in the club car park , in his Mondeo . How times change ? 

I bet LJ don’t drive a Mondeo . These days I’d be nearly run over by a much more prestigious motor .

:yes:

Archived