IGNORED

Ajax vs Spurs

Unan

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

It would be a travesty if this Liverpool team finished this season winning nothing.

And that would be a surprise, welcome to watching football well ever, when has it ever been fair that's why we all love it and hate it with equal measure.

25 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Should be an interesting final, who ever goes 3 nil down will probably end up winning it.

0-0 and a penalty shoot out it is then!

On a general note, can't say I get the compulsion or kneejerk to support high end PL clubs (not talking Burnley eg) in Europe.

*Foreign owned in many cases. Though Tottenham aren't, he's a tax exile so yeah- great...he's benign however compared to oligarchs and kleptocrats.

*Foreign managed.

*Many foreign players.

*1992 and all that. Formation of PL- TV money funnelled upwards by a huge proportion 

*The Big 6. Original Big 5 or was it big 6 were greedy in latter First Division days and the big 6 now always pondering Super League or ways to get more still of TV revenues.

*Imposition of parachute payments- alright early on when the gap wasn't so big and nor were the payments, but now a huge hindrance on clubs like us.

Nothing against Klopp or Pochettino- quite like both as it goes.

However all told, great for the English game? Hard to say.

What a game it was last night! Everything you could wish for from a Champions League Semi-Final.

Fair play to Ajax, I was rooting for them. To come such a way with a young squad, low overall cost and many academy/loan players, fantastic to see and a template that many clubs wh spend big and don't yield results can learn from.

And of course, fair play to Spurs, what a comeback and they seem to be heading in the right direction finally.

Overall this was a huge win for the Premier League showcasing it as the most exciting and arguably best league in the world. Granted you have big teams in Europe, but it's often a 1 or 2 horse race in their respective national leagues. In the Prem it's a lot more diverse and exciting, with multiple clubs vying for the title and often a few surprises (Blackburn/Leicester) along the way.

16 minutes ago, Undy English said:

What a game it was last night! Everything you could wish for from a Champions League Semi-Final.

Fair play to Ajax, I was rooting for them. To come such a way with a young squad, low overall cost and many academy/loan players, fantastic to see and a template that many clubs wh spend big and don't yield results can learn from.

And of course, fair play to Spurs, what a comeback and they seem to be heading in the right direction finally.

Overall this was a huge win for the Premier League showcasing it as the most exciting and arguably best league in the world. Granted you have big teams in Europe, but it's often a 1 or 2 horse race in their respective national leagues. In the Prem it's a lot more diverse and exciting, with multiple clubs vying for the title and often a few surprises (Blackburn/Leicester) along the way.

The PL has more winners overall yes, but this is increasingly a dying trend- Leicester was a once in a lifetime or generation at least.

Since the oligarchs and kleptocrats arrived- so sample size begins 2003/04:

Chelsea x 5

Man City x 3 (likely x 4 but you never know)

Man Utd x 5

Arsenal x 1

Leicester x 1

By way of comparison same period?

Spain

Barcelona x 10

Real Madrid x 4

Atletico Madrid x 1

Valencia x 1

Italy 

*Juventus x 8

*Inter Milan x 5

AC Milan x 5

Germany 

Bayern Munich x 10 (likely x 11)

Borussia Dortmund x 2

Stuttgart x 1

Werder Bremen x 1

Wolfsburg x 1

France

PSG x 6

Lyon x 5

Bordeaux x 1

Lille x 1

Marseille x 1

Monaco x 1

Montpelier x 1

Kleptocrats have ruined France as we can see and admittedly the competitive balance is getting worse in these places- but ppg of big 6 v the rest her last 3 years is becoming increasingly predictable.

*- Italy- 2004/05 and 2005/06 winners unclear due to match fixing scandal.

8 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Phew, the bar has been raised again. Has been wonderful to watch Man City, Liverpool and Spurs this season. 

I can see dominance in Europe for the next few years. Barca and Real are not as good as they were Bayern also.

11 hours ago, North London Red said:

Plenty of decent contributions from the English players tonight and last night - Dele Alli with the assist for the winner tonight, Danny Rose excellent throughout the game, and last night Henderson, Milner and Alexander-Arnold all played very well. 

The downside to all this is, its detrimental to England's nations league chances. The final is Saturday 1st June, they'll fly home from Madrid on the Sunday and join the England camp on the Monday - then fly to Portugal to play the Netherlands a couple of days later. Gareth wont get much time with a large portion of his squad - and they wont get much recovery time.

If Chelsea make the Europa league final there's a couple more thrown into the mix as well

11 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Yeah I agree, the team are great to watch but the fans are unbearable. 

I keep hearing this but there isn't a plethora of examples of someone being "unbearable", in what manner? Their fans aren't any better or worse than most other teams, I think it's just become "trendy" to hate their fans for some unknown reason.

17 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The downside to all this is, its detrimental to England's nations league chances. The final is Saturday 1st June, they'll fly home from Madrid on the Sunday and join the England camp on the Monday - then fly to Portugal to play the Netherlands a couple of days later. Gareth wont get much time with a large portion of his squad - and they wont get much recovery time.

If Chelsea make the Europa league final there's a couple more thrown into the mix as well

Their fans won't give a shit - the club would come first to us too.

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I keep hearing this but there isn't a plethora of examples of someone being "unbearable", in what manner? Their fans aren't any better or worse than most other teams, I think it's just become "trendy" to hate their fans for some unknown reason.

I think some of it stems from the "bitter" rivalry between Manu and Liverpool fans. Following Liverpool's domination from the 70s until the 90s, when they tended to rub the Mancs noses in it, the boot was truly on the other foot when Fergie's team was al conquering through the premier era while Liverpool fell away badly. 

Unfortunately, through he last 20 years many Liverpool fans have not helped themselves with their "poor me" bleating which seems to have hit a nerve with more than just Man U fans. 

I couldn't care less about all of that, as the only club I really care about is City. However, as a football fan, I think I can tell a fantastic team when I see one and the one Klopp has built is that, and should they finish the season with no trophy to show they, as a club, don't deserve ridicule - some of their arsehole fans ( which every club has) might , but not the club.

7 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Their fans won't give a shit - the club would come first to us too.

I know that, it’s more a mockery of UEFAs planning. No idea why the final is a week later than normal? Is there a league that doesn’t finish earlier or something that they wait for?

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Look at it the other way. The other country's players will have weeks off now and will be really rusty by the finals, whereas most of our players will still be wound up for the champions league

Archived