IGNORED

Not taking our big chances

Lrrr

Our shooting was pretty woeful all season really. Certainly it was not at the same level as many of the other facets of our game. 

This wont be lost on LJ and the analysts. I will be stunned if we don’t make a sizeable investment in a striker this summer.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Does Woodwork count as a 'big' chance? Because if so we missed 20, 21 of those this season

Think it would depend where its taken from, up to 12 yards or so out probably, a shot taken from 30 probably not. I think 'big chances' could be XG over a certain level

20 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Our shooting was pretty woeful all season really. Certainly it was not at the same level as many of the other facets of our game. 

This wont be lost on LJ and the analysts. I will be stunned if we don’t make a sizeable investment in a striker this summer.

Maupay or Adams would be lovely- fees and other interest would suggest not though.

Next tier down, Assombolonga though he would cost so unlikely- Middlesbrough loaning him to us for a full season would be excellent but why would they- and Pulis in particular...

Vydra on loan would be nice. 

Could Gayle be a goer if Rondon to Newcastle breaks down- on loan for wages and a fee minimum.

This was put out yesterday as well, big chances on the bottom/conversion rate up the side. Most big chances in the division but a bottom half of the division conversion rate.... since December 29th (when their data started)

1 minute ago, hodge said:

And then seemingly an outlier for the average as well combining big chances created & conceded

This kind of bears out some trends of the season- interesting stuff!

I've sometimes wondered about our defence though certain games will have skewed this.

Think Aston Villa away after the phantom penalty, it opened up a fair bit and we conceded a fair few in that one. Leeds away perhaps after Brownhill red.

The other bit of the narrative it at least opens up is that of our 'negativity'. At times granted, at some others shot shy but 13-14 shots per game at home, but in particular these big chances do muddy the waters a bit.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've sometimes wondered about our defence though certain games will have skewed this.

Think Aston Villa away after the phantom penalty, it opened up a fair bit and we conceded a fair few in that one. Leeds away perhaps after Brownhill red.

The other bit of the narrative it at least opens up is that of our 'negativity'. At times granted, at some others shot shy but 13-14 shots per game at home, but in particular these big chances do muddy the waters a bit.

Do keep in mind the data is from December 29th in case you haven't seen that

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was going to say it's a kick in the teeth to those who claim we don't create much.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maupay or Adams would be lovely- fees and other interest would suggest not though.

Next tier down, Assombolonga though he would cost so unlikely- Middlesbrough loaning him to us for a full season would be excellent but why would they- and Pulis in particular...

Vydra on loan would be nice. 

Could Gayle be a goer if Rondon to Newcastle breaks down- on loan for wages and a fee minimum.

Gayle would be a fantastic signing, but he already turned us down once

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

True.

He still possibly would, but AFAIK he's not out of contract at Newcastle for one- loan maybe.

Plus we are in a much better place on and off the pitch than summer 2015- higher position, more money, bigger crowds.

Subject to fee and wages, permanent or loan- varied factors basically worth a crack.

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

He was at Palace at the time and turned us down because ‘didn’t want to play in the Championship - and then signed for Newcastle who had just been relegated.....he then said that he ‘didn't realise’ they had been relegated’.............:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He was at Palace at the time and turned us down because ‘didn’t want to play in the Championship - and then signed for Newcastle who had just been relegated.....he then said that he ‘didn't realise’ they had been relegated’.............:facepalm:

Where did he say this? Got a source I can see? 

9 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Playing one up front at home =less chances so more pressure to convert the ones we get

Fairly sure I've read an article recently that said we created the second highest good chances in the division. In the same article it said Fammy missed the most good chances in the division. Unless I was dreaming, but I'm fairly confident I saw it somewhere. So doesn't back up the, we don't create theories. COYR

16 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Playing one up front at home =less chances so more pressure to convert the ones we get

Norwich play 'one up front at home', so too do Leeds. It's a bit of a red herring...

I suppose they are shot shy too eh- actually we averaged 14- 14.26 if we're being precise- shots a game at home all told, wasting of chances a key factor here.

14 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Fairly sure I've read an article recently that said we created the second highest good chances in the division. In the same article it said Fammy missed the most good chances in the division. Unless I was dreaming, but I'm fairly confident I saw it somewhere. So doesn't back up the, we don't create theories. COYR

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Norwich play 'one up front at home', so too do Leeds. It's a bit of a red herring...

I suppose they are shot shy too eh- actually we averaged 14- 14.26 if we're being precise- shots a game at home all told, wasting of chances a key factor here.

I don't think one up top is the problem, the creativity behind is. 

Norwich had the likes of Buendia and Hernandez with 20 assists between them. 

Leeds had Pablo Hernandez and Klich with 20 assists between them.

Paterson on his day is very good, it's just that day only comes 5 times a season. 4 assists isn't good enough. 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Paterson on his day is very good, it's just that day only comes 5 times a season. 4 assists isn't good enough. 

Agreed- should be measured in goals and assists though tooI think. However yes absolutely, creativity and support of the lone striker- not so sure Diedhiou is the man but that's another debate- clearly a weakness.-

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

We get the chances as the stats show, we just can't put them in the net, it's not the creativity (we create enough chances) but finishing. Our shooting is woeful, and our main striker is heavily one footed, has a poor first touch and control (often the ball getting stuck under him). 

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

We get the chances as the stats show, we just can't put them in the net, it's not the creativity (we create enough chances) but finishing. Our shooting is woeful, and our main striker is heavily one footed, has a poor first touch and control (often the ball getting stuck under him). 

Guess my first post sort of cancels out my second. 

I wonder what constitutes a big chance? 

I think we tend to get more chances when we go wide and whip crosses into the box. It’s a shame that we didn’t replace big Milan because Eliasson at times would be a dream for your typical target man type. 

Archived