IGNORED

Danny Baker fired from 5Live (Merged)

CyderInACan

Thoroughly deserved sacking in my book. How could it have not crossed his mind that it may be viewed as racist ?  Have to say that in the current climate and with him being (past or otherwise) a footy presenter of sorts, he’ll be a very lucky fella to avoid his collar being felt and the words “hate crime” lobbed in his direction. Total tool ! 

3 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Thoroughly deserved sacking in my book. How could it have not crossed his mind that it may be viewed as racist ?  Have to say that in the current climate and with him being (past or otherwise) a footy presenter of sorts, he’ll be a very lucky fella to avoid his collar being felt and the words “hate crime” lobbed in his direction. Total tool ! 

Absolutely.  I've got a lot of time for Danny Baker, but come on, how could he possibly not have realised that depicting a child of a mixed race marriage as a chimpanzee would be considered racist??  Utter madness on his part.

Until their wedding was on the news, I had no idea that whatshername was of mixed heritage.

But if I can remember such details, you would imagine someone with his platform would also be aware of it.

Do I think he's racist? No, probably not.

Has he made a mistake that in the current climate (as in, it isn't the 1970s anymore) means he should be removed from him job? Yes. 

Reality is, if you post anything like that, you are putting yourself completely on offer and there will be consequences.

6 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Why is he a ‘total tool’?  That’s seems harsh. Looks like a genuine error to me. It’s a photo he has used in the past to mock the royals who he sees as performing monkeys.  He just didn’t think in this case. 

As Baker said, 'it hadn't even occurred to me, as I don't have a diseased mind.'

He apologised and removed it as soon as the connotations were pointed out and that should have been the end of it.

Although no apology was necessary imo. - PC twitter outrage should be ignored, but it never will be by the BBC - they are a prime architect of forcing Political Correctness on us.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Why is he a ‘total tool’?  That’s seems harsh. Looks like a genuine error to me. It’s a photo he has used in the past to mock the royals who he sees as performing monkeys.  He just didn’t think in this case. 

Harsh ? Are you serious ? We hear every hour of the day how racism is blighting the Uk and football in particular. I’m no Royalist by any means but Harry marries a a woman who is half African American , has a baby with her and a high profile broadcaster publishes a photo of a monkey joking that it’s their baby.  Whether he’s a genuine racist is clearly debatable but for sheer unadulterated stupidity , the guy needed sacking. as I said ...total tool !  

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Harsh ? Are you serious ? We hear every hour of the day how racism is blighting the Uk and football in particular. I’m no Royalist by any means but Harry marries a a woman who is half African American , has a baby with her and a high profile broadcaster publishes a photo of a monkey joking that it’s their baby.  Whether he’s a genuine racist is clearly debatable but for sheer unadulterated stupidity , the guy needed sacking. as I said ...total tool !  

As far as I know he’s done nothing like this before so I would give him a warning and the benefit of the doubt. 

Folk are so keen to slap down successful people nowadays that even a genuine error causes outrage. 

4 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Not everyone spends every waking moment wondering if every little thing they say or do could be misinterpreted to their disadvantage and lead to them being pilloried by the twitterati mob.

They'll need to in your world though.

Really dumb move by Danny Baker, i'm not sure how the "connotations" could have been missed in the first place.

Some really funny photos of red haired black babies and the queen looking confused floating around which is a bit more like it if you want to take the piss out of the royals.

Keep him sacked.

Just posted on the non-football forum that it`s more ill-judged than deliberately offensive IMO. I don`t believe that Danny Baker is racist in any way at all. In this day and age though the BBC really had no choice. What will be interesting now is to see how the venues which are booked for the next leg of his live tour react.

Still, he`s been hinting recently that he`s thinking of packing it all in and moving to the states anyway so this will just hasten that I guess.

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not everyone spends every waking moment wondering if every little thing they say or do could be misinterpreted to their disadvantage and lead to them being pilloried by the twitterati mob.

Nog, anyone that knows me will know how much I detest the PC world in which we live these days where everything we say or do can be misinterpreted and used to hang us with . I’m not a PC person and as such have learned to stop and think before cracking un PC jokes in work that have arrived in my head at 100 mph !  I simply can’t fathom how a broadcaster of Danny Baker’s experience and satirical sense of humour failed to stop himself placing that tweet.  There was never a chance in hell that he was going to keep his job at the most PC company in the Country . Sheer stupidity on his part unfortunately. 

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

For an ill-judged royal baby tweet. Why don`t celebs realise that they`re in the spotlight 24/7 and can`t get away with anything these days. I suspect it was unthinking rather than deliberately offensive but them`s the breaks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

Agree entirely - I have no doubt whatsoever he had any deliberate racist intent, he just wanted to share a funny image. That said, these celebrities amuse me in that they do not think or remotely consider what they are doing before they go ahead and open their mouths/write a post.

Anyone with brain cells would have thought twice about posting an image that could allude to the mixed race royal baby being a chimp ffs.

I suppose the fact that he was once married to a black woman has no credence with those who are determined to see racist overtones in anything they see as out of the ordinary. 

Perhaps he should have thought twice about it, but as he says, it's not the way his mind works so he didn't even consider it.

This was Danny's apology. 

"Do you think black people look like monkeys?"

His tweet added: "No mate. Gag pic. Posh baby chimp. Alerted to circs. Appalled. Deleted. Apologised."

In a following tweet, he added: "Would have used same stupid pic for any other Royal birth or Boris Johnson kid or even one of my own. It's a funny image. (Though not of course in that context.) Enormous mistake, for sure. Grotesque.

"Anyway, here's to ya Archie, Sorry mate."

As others have said above, I watched suits for about a season before it became apparent that Megan was a black actor because she had black parents in the series. It had never crossed my mind before and it's not important one way or another, but it is easy to forget.

2 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Agree entirely - I have no doubt whatsoever he had any deliberate racist intent, he just wanted to share a funny image. That said, these celebrities amuse me in that they do not think or remotely consider what they are doing before they go ahead and open their mouths/write a post.

Anyone with brain cells would have thought twice about posting an image that could allude to the mixed race royal baby being a chimp ffs.

Just seen there`s a topic on the football forum so could the mods please merge?

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I suppose the fact that he was once married to a black woman has no credence with those who are determined to see racist overtones in anything they see as out of the ordinary. 

Perhaps he should have thought twice about it, but as he says, it's not the way his mind works so he didn't even consider it.

He`s great friends with a lot of black sportspeople and performers too. Kriss Akabusi for instance is one of his best mates.

ill judged? - yes, absolutely, but sack able offence? Not for me.

Public apology, already given and accepting his error. Statement from BBC and a final warning should have been enough.

Will really miss him on a Saturday morning on R5L as part of my pre-match routine.

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's becoming a minefield for any of us of a certain age, things that were acceptable not that long ago like calling somebody coloured now has people up in arms, I'm sure it was just a joke that badly misfired and was not meant in a racist way, Danny Baker is an intelligent man it would have been a very stupid thing to have done deliberately. I'm sure it was just a stupid mistake that he now deeply regrets, at least I'd like to think that, I feel a bit sorry for him you have to be so careful what you say these days as people do seem to take offence where none was meant. 

1 minute ago, pillred said:

It's becoming a minefield for any of us of a certain age, things that were acceptable not that long ago like calling somebody coloured now has people up in arms, I'm sure it was just a joke that badly misfired and was not meant in a racist way, Danny Baker is an intelligent man it would have been a very stupid thing to have done deliberately. I'm sure it was just a stupid mistake that he now deeply regrets at least I'd like to think that I feel a bit sorry for him you have to be so careful what you say these days as people do seem to take offence where none was meant. 

Anyone who have listened to his show over the years knows he has always loved chimpanzees, the "chimpanzees dressed as famous people set to fairground music" has been a recurring segment as long as I can remember. If anyone wanted to be offended on someone else's behalf it should be the chimpanzees.

10 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Nog, anyone that knows me will know how much I detest the PC world in which we live these days where everything we say or do can be misinterpreted and used to hang us with . I’m not a PC person and as such have learned to stop and think before cracking un PC jokes in work that have arrived in my head at 100 mph !  I simply can’t fathom how a broadcaster of Danny Baker’s experience and satirical sense of humour failed to stop himself placing that tweet.  There was never a chance in hell that he was going to keep his job at the most PC company in the Country . Sheer stupidity on his part unfortunately. 

I take your point Baldy but surely if he'd seen the connotations he wouldn't have sent that tweet in the first place.

So it's an honest 'mistake' imo., and everyone's allowed to be a bit 'stupid' now and again surely?

The problem is if you call him a tool, and say he was rightly sacked, you're in danger of allying yourself with the PC mob and encouraging them towards the next feeding frenzy.

As I say they should just be ignored - they don't speak for the majority imo. - even if these days its the 'silent majority' as they're increasingly scared to open their mouths!

I was once a big defender of the BBC - I now detest everything about them and look forward eagerly to their demise.

Baker is well out of there.

50 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As Baker said, 'it hadn't even occurred to me, as I don't have a diseased mind.'

He apologised and removed it as soon as the connotations were pointed out and that should have been the end of it.

Although no apology was necessary imo. - PC twitter outrage should be ignored, but it never will be by the BBC - they are a prime architect of forcing Political Correctness on us.

Nah. Theres lot of over-reactions these days. But this is definitely not one of those occasions.

This was a racist joke and if its not, what is??

Didn't he also tweet (and delete) just before that an old picture of him holding a banana like a microphone?

I'm sure they both followed a picture of the alcohol he was drinking. Obviously don't know him so can't comment on whether he is actually racist, but it appears he was probably a few drinks in, tried to be a bit edgy, and has come out of it looking like an absolute idiot (at the very least). Can't believe he didn't, at any point before pressing send, take a second to think it probably wasn't a good idea.

6 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Nah. Theres lot of over-reactions these days. But this is definitely not one of those occasions.

This was a racist joke and if its not, what is??

Read the rest of the thread, with particular note to @Port Said Red's contributions.

Archived