IGNORED

Danny Baker fired from 5Live (Merged)

CyderInACan

40 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

That tweet is hilarious. Shame main stream media are destroying our british ways. I guess thats wht people like tommy robinson. Carl Benjamin and partys like brexit party have so much support

Why is it hilarious? What's the thinking behind the "joke"?

It seems pretty obvious that he didn't mean it how it has came across, and seeing as he has used the same pic previously and also his apology says what it was meant to perceive he should have got a warning and be done with it. But in this day and age companies all bow to the Twitterati mob - most of who go looking for something to be offended by.

How much coverage in the news did Joshua get for calling the black race superior?? How much would it have got if say Tyson Fury said the same thing about the white race??

Too scared to go after the grooming gangs for fear of racism. 

Cannot have stop and search with all the stabbings due to racism - if you are innocent what is the problem?

Danny Rose blaming everything on racism, and cannot wait to get out the game due to it - obviously won't leave just yet though as he is on what 150 grand per week?

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Harsh ? Are you serious ? We hear every hour of the day how racism is blighting the Uk and football in particular. I’m no Royalist by any means but Harry marries a a woman who is half African American , has a baby with her and a high profile broadcaster publishes a photo of a monkey joking that it’s their baby.  Whether he’s a genuine racist is clearly debatable but for sheer unadulterated stupidity , the guy needed sacking. as I said ...total tool !  

It's not even debatable. Danny Baker is not a racist. He just talks quicker than he thinks occasionally. He has often used the PG Tips chimps as a comic image with absolutely no racial connotations.

3 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

I always thought Baker was quite an intelligent guy, but what part of posting a picture of an Ape to belittle the child of a mix race mother did he think was a great idea.. 

He hasn't, that is the point.

5 minutes ago, wood_red said:

It seems pretty obvious that he didn't mean it how it has came across, and seeing as he has used the same pic previously and also his apology says what it was meant to perceive he should have got a warning and be done with it. But in this day and age companies all bow to the Twitterati mob - most of who go looking for something to be offended by.

How much coverage in the news did Joshua get for calling the black race superior?? How much would it have got if say Tyson Fury said the same thing about the white race??

Too scared to go after the grooming gangs for fear of racism. 

Cannot have stop and search with all the stabbings due to racism - if you are innocent what is the problem?

Danny Rose blaming everything on racism, and cannot wait to get out the game due to it - obviously won't leave just yet though as he is on what 150 grand per week?

I'd say the Tweets he posted preceding that picture indicate that he meant it exactly how it came across.

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Just because danny baker likes chimps, does not make this any less a racist joke.

It wasnt a racist joke, it was an anti Royalist joke - which the BBC would probably have sacked him for anyway.

10 minutes ago, wood_red said:

He hasn't, that is the point.

Just comes across like that, no? 

His apology decended into a diatribe at his bosses for not defending him against the ensuing s*** storm,  go on BBC rescue your left wing comrade... 

? 

6 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Just because danny baker likes chimps, does not make this any less a racist joke.

He isn't racist (based on years of broadcasting, his musical tastes, his friends, his writings over many years) one post doesn't undo that, especially as has been said by many others he has used similar pictures in situations that couldn't be misconstrued. Unfortunately there will be those who enjoy a good witch hunt and having a field day right now. 

It's never been about if you are racist or not, it's always been about how other people interpret it.. for him to not think that a large portion of people would take this as a racist joke is completely stupid. He is either a) racist or b) incredibly stupid, if the answer is b then that's considered gross misconduct as he is in the public eye, understandable sacking.

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I'd say the Tweets he posted preceding that picture indicate that he meant it exactly how it came across.

Nice to only quote the bit that suits your view. Was the image racist previously whilst taking the pee out of the Royals? His apology states what the image was meant to say, and in this day and age if you think any high profile person would do that tweet for it to come across as calling a Royal baby as a Chimp, then I think you are mad. If he wanted the sack he would have went down an easier route than that.

What I put was - It seems pretty obvious that he didn't mean it how it has came across, and seeing as he has used the same pic previously and also his apology says what it was meant to perceive 

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is this another classic example of people being offended on behalf of someone else, or is anyone REALLY offended by his misconstrued tweet?

Its not an over-reaction.

15 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It wasnt a racist joke, it was an anti Royalist joke - which the BBC would probably have sacked him for anyway.

He's insinuating that the mixed race baby is a chimp. Pretty clear cut.

4 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Just comes across like that, no? 

His apology decended into a diatribe at his bosses for not defending him against the ensuing s*** storm,  go on BBC rescue your left wing comrade... 

? 

It is obvious how most (if not all) people would see that tweet as racist. But anyone who knows his views on the Royals and that pic being used previously, along with his apology saying what it was meant to mean, he should be given the benefit of the doubt unless he has previous imho. The easy way out of it for the BBC is to sack him and come out with how great they are.

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Its not an over-reaction.

He's insinuating that the mixed race baby is a chimp. Pretty clear cut.

But he isn't, if you can actually see past what you want to see.

I very much doubt that Danny Baker is racist too, but that doesn't alter the fact that the image he posted, in the context it was posted, is very clearly racist, whether he intended it to be or not.  Racism is not just about intent, otherwise anyone making a racist comment could simply say they didn't intend it to be racist to cover themselves.  How often do you hear "I'm not a racist, but...", which is usually followed by something overtly racist?

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I agree, but what I meant was is it just people being offended on behalf of someone else

Has anyone been offended by it on here?

Rightly or wrongly, I suspect the majority of posters on here are white. I suspect that, if you're not a black or mixed race person then black people being compared to apes or monkeys does not offend you personally. By which, I don't mean that you can't still be angry or outraged by it but it's not the same if you're not part of the group the slur is directed at.

With that in mind, I've not been personally offended by the tweet and I suspect he is being honest about his intent. (Quite aside from anything else, even if he was racist and hid it all this time, it would be ridiculous to post something on Twitter he was obviously going to get fired for. I can't really see any situation where a public figure would post that publicly if they did understand the connotation.) But the fact I am not personally offended by it does not change the fact that non-white people who have been compared to monkey or apes by complete ***** in the street or in the schoolyard are probably going to be offended by a tweet that compares a black person to a monkey or an ape.

Ultimately Danny Baker is (or at least was) a BBC employee who uses his social media to talk about his work for the BBC. Therefore it reasonable for the BBC to feel he is representing them when he tweets. And, like anyone else, he is likely to be considered to have committed gross misconduct if he drags the organisation he works for into disrepute. You can certainly argue that it's hypocritical that Alan Sugar kept his job after a similarly ill-judged "joke" last year but, intended or not, it's not massively surprising someone would get fired for using a twitter feed which they link to their work to post jokes that compare black people to monkeys or apes, regardless of the intent. 

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I very much doubt that Danny Baker is racist too, but that doesn't alter the fact that the image he posted, in the context it was posted, is very clearly racist, whether he intended it to be or not.  Racism is not just about intent, otherwise anyone making a racist comment could simply say they didn't intend it to be racist to cover themselves.  How often do you hear "I'm not a racist, but...", which is usually followed by something overtly racist?

Indeed. If the BBC went "well, it's okay he didn't mean it" then they open themselves up to other employees who post racist stuff online to acquit themselves by saying their intent was misunderstood. I agree it probably wasn't Danny Baker's intent but that doesn't change the fact that it's perfectly reasonable that people have construed the tweet within the content to be racially offensive. 

No I don't think Danny Baker is racist but it was certainly an ill-judged post.

Why do celebrities  need to make public comments on twitter / Facebook etc anyway?  It's boring and pointless.

Indeed why are any us reading this comment and why did I bother to post it....

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

I agree, but what I meant was is it just people being offended on behalf of someone else

Has anyone been offended by it on here?

I must admitt being of mixed heritage myself the more i look at it the more the image doesn’t sit comfortably with me.. Danny Baker must be pretty thick if he hasn’t put two and two together and realised she is of African American heritage.. deserved sacking IMO.. im not a fan of the royals in the slightest but you cannot in this day and age post pictures like that without thinking of the consequences.

2 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

That tweet is hilarious. Shame main stream media are destroying our british ways. I guess thats wht people like tommy robinson. Carl Benjamin and partys like brexit party have so much support

Which part is hilarious, just out of interest?

2 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Always one utter ******* nause hiding in the corner like a rat waiting to pounce.

British ways? **** off!!! 

Archived