IGNORED

Danny Baker fired from 5Live (Merged)

CyderInACan

29 minutes ago, phantom said:

I agree, but what I meant was is it just people being offended on behalf of someone else

Has anyone been offended by it on here?

I know full well that it is unacceptable and offensive to anyone with an ounce of common sense to compare a baby chimpanzee to a mixed race human baby in the way that picture was used 

2 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

That tweet is hilarious. Shame main stream media are destroying our british ways. I guess thats wht people like tommy robinson. Carl Benjamin and partys like brexit party have so much support

What a surprise, the thickest troll on otib spouting thick shit.

Such a giant nause.

As an avid listener of Danny Baker’s show, my immediate instinct is that this was a terrible error of judgement, without any thought of the racist connotations, but without any racist intent whatsoever.

Should Baker have thought of the connotations before he posted it? Yes, of course he should. It’s not conceivable that he wasn’t aware of the connotations of linking a chimpanzee with a mixed race baby having grown up in London in the 70s.

But that doesn’t mean by posting it there was racist intent. It is consistent with his posting style, his type of humour, and could equally have been posted about another royal baby who wasn’t mixed race. Anyone who listens to Baker knows he enjoys irreverent humour and performing monkeys are a recurring theme. Many of those decrying Baker as a racist wont be aware of that context.

Baker is also intelligent enough to know the grave consequences of making a racist joke. Had that been his intention, he would have effectively have been consciously committing career suicide with one tweet. It doesn’t stand up to reason that he would have intentionally done that, therefore it doesn’t stack up that he knew his actions were racist and intended them to be so.

I think it was a gross, thoughtless error of judgement, I think he certainly should have thought it through before he posted it, but I don’t believe he is racist.

I’ve no interest in Danny Baker*, so my knowledge of him is pretty limited but isn’t his radio show heavily weighted towards sport, in particular football? I guess he is a football fan and probably attends matches, no idea who he supports, guessing Chelsea or Wham, or Spurs? Surely if he is a fan he must know about all the very recent media stuff from the players about racist chanting, in particular monkey chants?

So what made him think it was a good idea, funny or clever to post a picture of a chimp and some royals when a baby had just been born?

*I’ve certainly no interest in the royals either but Harry is of course alright ?

• Admin
31 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I know full well that it is unacceptable and offensive to anyone with an ounce of common sense to compare a baby chimpanzee to a mixed race human baby in the way that picture was used 

25 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Clearly not racist and just an ill judged comment. Usual over reaction. 

This was kind of my point

Two people can see the same tweet in a different light, but I would add CIAC that Danny Baker has already stated he did not mean it in that way, so not sure how your can say he did?

Would someone really compare someone to a chimpanzee?

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’ve no interest in Danny Baker*, so my knowledge of him is pretty limited but isn’t his radio show heavily weighted towards sport, in particular football? I guess he is a football fan and probably attends matches, no idea who he supports, guessing Chelsea or Wham, or Spurs? Surely if he is a fan he must know about all the very recent media stuff from the players about racist chanting, in particular monkey chants?

So what made him think it was a good idea, funny or clever to post a picture of a chimp and some royals when a baby had just been born?

*I’ve certainly no interest in the royals either but Harry is of course alright ?

He certainly would know all about that and had he stopped to think, he would have made all those connections and not posted the tweet. Unfortunately though he didn’t stop to think - but I still don’t think the intent was there.

31 minutes ago, RedM said:

He's a Millwall fan, M.  Which makes me think of the old adage "If you lie down with dogs you get fleas".

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Two people can see the same tweet in a different light, but I would add CIAC that Danny Baker has already stated he did not mean it in that way, so not sure how your can say he did?

He may well not have meant in that way, but I - as I'm sure most people are - am fully aware that to make the comparison the picture seemed to be making is enough to warrant it offensive/racist/stupid/ill conceived/crass/insensitive* etc etc. It's just not acceptable is it really? I'm far from a snowflake but come on, we've moved on a bit from that. 

* use whatever word you want really 

I’ve no reason to suspect for a moment that the man is a racist, but then that isn’t really what he’s been sacked for, is it? He’s a sixty something, vastly experienced broadcaster with many years of TV and radio work behind him and he’s made an absolutely colossal, spectacularly ill-timed error of judgment that even a novice probably wouldn’t have committed. That’s incompetence, on a massive scale, and I’m afraid you do get sacked from high public profile jobs for that. Once the deed was done, never for a split second was any other outcome likely. Not malicious in intent, I’m sure, but suicidally stupid and he can’t really have any complaints about the outcome. I hate all this PC rubbish, too, as most of us do, but it’s the world we live in and he more than most people should have a firm grasp of that.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Trevor Sinclair was back on the BBC in under a year after calling a policeman a "white ****", so I'm sure Baker has nothing to worry about.

Both acts unacceptable and foolish. 

If you are correct about Sinclair, it will be ‘interesting’ to see what the BBC does with Danny Boy in twelve months

Now, Ron Atkinson. Whatever happened to him?

Have been a fan of Danny's for decades, he overthinks alot of his comedy and so it gets convoluted pretty fast, his big ego shielded his thinking brain from actual reality here, I don't believe he is racist but wow what an own goal he scored there, if he had taken a step back and looked before he posted that then he would have seen what a furore he was about to cause. BBC really had no choice in today's climate but to fire him. 

4 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Have been a fan of Danny's for decades, he overthinks alot of his comedy and so it gets convoluted pretty fast, his big ego shielded his thinking brain from actual reality here, I don't believe he is racist but wow what an own goal he scored there, if he had taken a step back and looked before he posted that then he would have seen what a furore he was about to cause. BBC really had no choice in today's climate but to fire him. 

As with his past record his ego does get the better of him, he thought he could get away with it because of who he is. 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

I agree, but what I meant was is it just people being offended on behalf of someone else

Has anyone been offended by it on here?

Can't say it offended me , but first thing I thought when I saw it was "Jees Louise! He's calling the Royal Baby a Chimp!"

It seems that was the perception from people of all creeds, regardless of Danny's original intent. Very ill-judged and left the BBC little option in my opinion.

Sad though as he is very popular. Also sad that the BBC aren't consistent in their punishments (remember Lord Sugar's Senegal beach sellers tweet?).

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Trevor Sinclair was back on the BBC in under a year after calling a policeman a "white ****", so I'm sure Baker has nothing to worry about.

This is a very good shout. Personally I couldn’t believe what Baker had done and he’s going to get some stick for it. 

The thing is though, I was raised on Stapleton Rd in Easton and I can assure everyone that racism is displayed by people of all colours not just white people. Sad but true!

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Why aren't the same online police calling for the sacking of the entire cabinet for their human rights crimes against the poor? 

Why aren’t the same online police calling for the sacking of the political and religious elite for trashing the planet?

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

So did he publish pictures of a posh couple with a baby chimp when William had his kids?

Apparently he's used the chimp theme lots before in non racial contexts.

Ive listened to him on radio for c30 years and I've never heard a single bigoted thing.

He was commentating on the celebrity of monarchy and totally misjudged it.

I concur that chimps are as valuable to the UK as monarchs. We need less privilege in this world.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Apparently he's used the chimp theme lots before in non racial contexts.

Ive listened to him on radio for c30 years and I've never heard a single bigoted thing.

He was commentating on the celebrity of monarchy and totally misjudged it.

I concur that chimps are as valuable to the UK as monarchs. We need less privilege in this world.

I realise he has a "thing" about the PG Tips chimps, but I've not seen proof from anyone that he has tweeted a picture of a baby chimp when anyone else's baby has been in the news. If he has, fair enough. If not, I'm skeptical that he "failed to consider" how this picture would be interpreted in this case.

11 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Or more privileged chimps! 

In the seventies Chimps did a lot more, like move pianos and race in the tour de France, now they just sling their own s*** at visitors in safari parks, a shame really. 

Talking to any Gashead they will tell you the only people who don't like the world renound Bristol Rovers are Ted's and Danny Baker, so in a way a victory for the Blue few.. 

Archived