IGNORED

Danny Baker fired from 5Live (Merged)

CyderInACan

36 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

In the seventies Chimps did a lot more, like move pianos and race in the tour de France, now they just sling their own s*** at visitors in safari parks, a shame really. 

Talking to any Gashead they will tell you the only people who don't like the world renound Bristol Rovers are Ted's and Danny Baker, so in a way a victory for the Blue few.. 

Its weird because this very morning when i woke up i Googled "why does Danny Baker call Bristol Rovers liars", as I couldn't remember why it was so, then i was confronted with this news about the royals and chimps, still can't believe how stupid he has been!

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I realise he has a "thing" about the PG Tips chimps, but I've not seen proof from anyone that he has tweeted a picture of a baby chimp when anyone else's baby has been in the news. If he has, fair enough. If not, I'm skeptical that he "failed to consider" how this picture would be interpreted in this case.

Okay but he has no previous for any kind of racism or sexism. Would be weird to start now? You might be jumping to a logical assumption but you're still just making assumptions.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Okay but he has no previous for any kind of racism or sexism. Would be weird to start now? You might be jumping to a logical assumption but you're still just making assumptions.

I guess we're all making assumptions -  either that it was an innocent accident or a deliberately vile joke. We cannot know definitively.

I'm not a royalist, but I think it's a pretty awful "joke" to post anyway - comparing a new-born baby to a chimp. Hardly the baby's fault he's born into a "circus" of sycophancy.

I was always a fan of Danny's and agree he has no previous: quite the reverse actually. But age and illness and hanging around with Millwall fans can do strange things to guys, so who really knows.

I think we can agree that it was a pretty catastrophic error of judgement to send that tweet. It would probably have gone down a treat if shared privately with Big Baz at the Blue Anchor in Bermondsey, but putting it out to the world when you're a well-known broadcaster is idiotic, whatever the motive. 

I would have been sacked if I'd done it when I worked for the BBC, so I'm not surprised Baker has been.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

I don't believe he is a racist, or that he was trying to cause offence. However I'm not buying for a second that he wasn't aware of the connotations of it.

I’m sure he was happy causing offence, but by comparing the Royals to performing animals, not in any racist way. That’s where he slipped up, because to him the “chimps in clothes” thing is a circus reference, not a racial reference. And he may have been pissed too!

He can’t really complain about the result though. And I’m a big fan of his. It was an insulting reference to the new baby, regardless of its colour.

In the "Museum of Tolerance" in Los Angeles, there is a room with interactive exhibits designed to identify the people (black people, women, Jews, gays, short people, fat people, disabled people, all sorts) you can't tolerate. You watch a video on the vast variety of prejudices designed to convince you that everyone has at least a few, and then you are invited to enter the museum proper through one of two doors, one marked PREJUDICED, and the other marked UNPREJUDICED. The latter door is locked, in case anyone misses the point.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess we're all making assumptions -  either that it was an innocent accident or a deliberately vile joke. We cannot know definitively.

I'm not a royalist, but I think it's a pretty awful "joke" to post anyway - comparing a new-born baby to a chimp. Hardly the baby's fault he's born into a "circus" of sycophancy.

I was always a fan of Danny's and agree he has no previous: quite the reverse actually. But age and illness and hanging around with Millwall fans can do strange things to guys, so who really knows.

I think we can agree that it was a pretty catastrophic error of judgement to send that tweet. It would probably have gone down a treat if shared privately with Big Baz at the Blue Anchor in Bermondsey, but putting it out to the world when you're a well-known broadcaster is idiotic, whatever the motive. 

I would have been sacked if I'd done it when I worked for the BBC, so I'm not surprised Baker has been.

Yep agree that it was stupidity to the max, but I think his explanation is plausable enough for us to give him a break. I made the mistake of reading comments on Twitter and wow, the moral grandstanding was insane. People who clearly know nothing about him labelling him a vile racist this and that. I'm pretty PC, but Twitter is all about stamping your feet and labelling people with no due diligence. 

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Yep agree that it was stupidity to the max, but I think his explanation is plausable enough for us to give him a break. I made the mistake of reading comments on Twitter and wow, the moral grandstanding was insane. People who clearly know nothing about him labelling him a vile racist this and that. I'm pretty PC, but Twitter is all about stamping your feet and labelling people with no due diligence. 

Very true, Moz. At the same time social media is also full of meatheads going "you can't call a spade a spade nowadays" and "the joke was funny" [It wasn't. On any level]. Not even as a racist joke.]

My personal theory is he meant to send it to a mate, but accidentally tweeted it - possibly under the influence of a fair few cans. 

We'll never know, but my take home point is that a BBC underling would be sacked for tweeting that. Why should a celeb be treated differently? Even if he seems like a "nice bloke".

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Very true, Moz. At the same time social media is also full of meatheads going "you can't call a spade a spade nowadays" and "the joke was funny" [It wasn't. On any level]. Not even as a racist joke.]

My personal theory is he meant to send it to a mate, but accidentally tweeted it - possibly under the influence of a fair few cans. 

We'll never know, but my take home point is that a BBC underling would be sacked for tweeting that. Why should a celeb be treated differently? Even if he seems like a "nice bloke".

I agree but I also think Stan Collymore makes some very valid points, including that some celebs - such as Alan Sugar - ARE treated differently:

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Ron atkinson said worse i reckon, yet he continued to work in the media for years after.

I wonder if baker will get another job?

I dunno if it was own goals gaffs 1 or 2 but i recall baker getting really excited about chelsea losing 5 0 to rotherham.

Talksport beckons

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree but I also think Stan Collymore makes some very valid points, including that some celebs - such as Alan Sugar - ARE treated differently:

Very true but the BBC can't sack Alan Sugar as he isn't an employee and won't have signed the same terms and conditions in a contract of direct employment as DB did. All they could have done is to decommission the Apprentice - which might be difficult given the ongoing contract with the production company who make it - or insist they change Sugar for some other mogul, which could also be difficult depending on the contract the production company have with Sugar.

The fact that they are inconsistent doesn't really have any bearing on this case. 

Haven't read the thread, sorry. Just want to say though, with the benefit of 40+ years reading Danny Baker's missives in the media and listening to his musings on radio and tv, he is without doubt an anti-racist.

It is patently obvious that (naively) he didn't make a connection between the chimp and a mixed race person, because he was making an entirely unconnected point, and he was clearly mortified when the connotation was pointed out.

Best of luck Danny, from a fellow devout anti-racist. It's sheep we're up against. 

• Admin
9 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Haven't read the thread, sorry. Just want to say though, with the benefit of 40+ years reading Danny Baker's missives in the media and listening to his musings on radio and tv, he is without doubt an anti-racist.

It is patently obvious that (naively) he didn't make a connection between the chimp and a mixed race person, because he was making an entirely unconnected point, and he was clearly mortified when the connotation was pointed out.

Best of luck Danny, from a fellow devout anti-racist. It's sheep we're up against. 

One like isn’t enough for this, I too have read and listened to Danny for many years, I love his meandering, irreverent style, not every bit of his humour strikes home with me, but plenty does.  I don’t think I have ever heard any hate for anyone, he certainly has history for lampooning the monarchy and upper echelons of society, but with no malicious intent.

Saturday mornings won’t be the same now, I just hope R5 don’t succumb to filling his airtime with some ultra safe, MOR nonsense.

On 09/05/2019 at 13:20, CyderInACan said:

I always preferred Cheryl Baker anyway

Sexist.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

One like isn’t enough for this, I too have read and listened to Danny for many years, I love his meandering, irreverent style, not every bit of his humour strikes home with me, but plenty does.  I don’t think I have ever heard any hate for anyone, he certainly has history for lampooning the monarchy and upper echelons of society, but with no malicious intent.

Saturday mornings won’t be the same now, I just hope R5 don’t succumb to filling his airtime with some ultra safe, MOR nonsense.

They will.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Some people give him the benefit of doubt

Some people have no doubt his apology is genuine

Some people are happy to see successful people come unstuck so will pretend to think he meant it to increase the uproar.

Certainly with twitter and other social media, some are able to be rational and many (majority?) aren't. 

Archived