IGNORED

Pre-Season Friendlies/USA Plans (Merged)

BCFC1512

On 10/05/2019 at 09:33, Redmycolour said:

Police wouldn't allow it

I seem to recall one in 2005 up there.

Wasn't there one at AG a few years ago too?

Mind you- I can't recall if that was subsequent to the 2013 JPT- or whatever it's called now- game!

Edit- just read the thread in full now, and you are right I reckon!

3 hours ago, phantom said:

True, but remember they only have a capacity of 11360 - would assume if they had 20k+ it would have been cheaper?

To make the same in ticket sales of Bournemouth being £60 in a 11360 stadium, if we could sell 26,000 tickets a ticket would cost £26 ish.

On 12/05/2019 at 09:25, MattWSM said:

full squad at WSM...

last time that happened city won the league, Weston won 2-1 with a Jake Mawford solo through the city defence, great goal. it was good seeing jet and co at the Woodspring and a 2000 crowd.

Will be the development squad. Sat 3rd August, same day as the season kicks off.

9 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I’d turn up for Barcelona but would probably give Real Madrid a miss. To see Ramos would be entertaining but otherwise I’ve never been a fan of Franco’s Team. 

Similar to Benfica in Portugal who were financially supported by their dictator, Salazar.

The dictator's philosophy of the three F's. Fado, Fatima and Football to keep the masses quiet. If they didn't keep quiet, the PIDO, secret police, had many ways to silence them.

It's why Sporting Lisbon and Porto fans detest Benfica fans, and Atletico Madrid are the same toward Real.

18 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Similar to Benfica in Portugal who were financially supported by their dictator, Salazar.

The dictator's philosophy of the three F's. Fado, Fatima and Football to keep the masses quiet. If they didn't keep quiet, the PIDO, secret police, had many ways to silence them.

It's why Sporting Lisbon and Porto fans detest Benfica fans, and Atletico Madrid are the same toward Real.

A very interesting revelation - I seem to recall you worked in Portugal some years ago, hence the local, historical knowledge.

It is many years since I studied Post 1815 European History, but I do know that Salazar was still in power at the time of the 1968 Man UTD/Benfica European Cup Final featuring one of my favourite ever players, The Black Pearl, also known more widely as Eusébio.

I wonder what influence Salazar, he of the Portuguese Colonial War, had over Eusébio's arrival from Mozambique, given your comments concerning his financial support for Benfica.   

I wonder, also, whether @Olé may have any views on the subject.  

On 13/05/2019 at 18:55, cidered abroad said:

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A very interesting revelation - I seem to recall you worked in Portugal some years ago, hence the local, historical knowledge.

It is many years since I studied Post 1815 European History, but I do know that Salazar was still in power at the time of the 1968 Man UTD/Benfica European Cup Final featuring one of my favourite ever players, The Black Pearl, also known more widely as Eusébio.

I wonder what influence Salazar, he of the Portuguese Colonial War, had over Eusébio's arrival from Mozambique, given your comments concerning his financial support for Benfica.   

I wonder, also, whether @Olé may have any views on the subject.  

I must say that my affection for Benfica is now very much secondary to that of Bristol City - but nonetheless it is my club so let me stick up for them.

I have always grown up being told and believing Benfica was the club of the people, whereas Sporting was the club for Lisbon's aristocracy and elite.

That's certainly the view of many in Portugal and why Benfica is such a popular team. I only lost a little of the magic due to this sort of mud-throwing.

These days the Portuguese league borders on ridiculous, it's like Scottish football on steroids, utterly consumed by a few clubs and their toxic battles.

All three clubs attack one another for everything under the sun from corruption and refereeing favour to government and council support and funding.

The Estado Novo / Salazar / Benfica thing is one of the original and most popular such lines of attack but spun out of all control, I've never believed it. 

Yes Salazar adopted the political value of a very successful European team (and prevented Eusebio moving on) but Benfica was not the regime's club.

From what little I've read there is plenty of evidence that Sporting was (as long remained the case in class terms) more associated to figures in power.

Similarly, Porto had the original Antas funded and opened by the regime. Benfica contrastingly was the first truly democratic club - built by the people.

I've no doubt Benfica earned favour once it became successful in Europe, as it was a wonderful 'soft power' export for the regime, but more than that?

Benfica enabled Estado Novo, not vice versa. The regime actually put Sporting forward for the first European Cup, even though Benfica won the league!

Anyway, I'm not actually old enough to have known the dictatorship though my dad lived under it, and like Eusebio was from one of Portugal's colonies.

Many of the colonies were fighting for independence from Salazar. It's hard to imagine their exports like Coluna and Santana could be regime enablers.

Benfica continues to have disproportionate support among other races and poorer outposts of the Portuguese speaking world, relative to its rival clubs.

Perhaps I'm just biased as I similarly detest Sporting and Porto's fans, but hard to associate this working class support as some Real Madrid style elite!

• Admin
10 minutes ago, hodge said:

Judging by the article we're playing Palace the weekend before as a test for preparation for the season, nothing to say we won't have another big game earlier in pre season.

Very rarely do we have more than one home game

With the concerts this summer imagine they will want to prep the pitch as much as possible

So announced so far:

1. Wimbledon (A) July 9th
  2. Tampa July 11th - 19th (presumably at least one full 90 minute game v local opposition)
  3. Crystal Palace (H) July 27th
  4. City XI v WSM Aug 3rd (first day of the new season for the first XI so presumably this is basically an U23 game)

Then we can assume that we will at some point play Torquay away for the "Johnson Cup" plus the community match away v a local non-league side. Last season this was Bitton (A) on July 8th.

Can we expect any others? There's not even much room left in July even, maybe room for Torquay and the community game in the first week of the month, or you could squeeze one in in between Tampa and Palace? 

• Admin
20 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

So announced so far:

2. Tampa July 11th - 19th (presumably at least one full 90 minute game v local opposition)
  4. City XI v WSM Aug 3rd (first day of the new season for the first XI so presumably this is basically an U23 game)

Then we can assume that we will at some point play Torquay away for the "Johnson Cup" plus the community match away v a local non-league side. Last season this was Bitton (A) on July 8th.

Can we expect any others? There's not even much room left in July even, maybe room for Torquay and the community game in the first week of the month, or you could squeeze one in in between Tampa and Palace? 

I would imagine a community game on Sunday 7th July. Would also expect back to back games on either the Monday (22nd), Tuesday (23rd) or Wednesday (24th)

On 13/05/2019 at 06:56, weepywall said:

Wasn't it Bournemouth who played Real Madrid in a friendly and then had to charge something like £60 a ticket to make it financially viable .

On 13/05/2019 at 12:00, phantom said:

True, but remember they only have a capacity of 11360 - would assume if they had 20k+ it would have been cheaper?

£59.50 then? :)

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

So announced so far:

I hope there will be a Community game as it may be the only one i’ll go to this year. I’m pretty well uninspired by the fixtures so far although I may drag myself to the Wimbledon game on my sisters birthday, but equally I may well not. 

Archived