IGNORED

EFL should be ashamed attendances have hit a new record

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

The population of ENGLAND in 1958 was approx 40 million

2019 population is approx 56 million

The North/South divisions were abolished in 1958

Working with all the above  figures total attendance should be in the region of 21 million

You’re going to have explain that John.......it’s lost on most of us, including me..

I think what he’s getting at, in a round about way, is as population has increased by 40% since 1958 the number of people using Parson Street station should have increased by the same amount. 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I think what he’s getting at, in a round about way, is as population has increased by 40% since 1958 the number of people using Parson Street station should have increased by the same amount. 

Some prefer to fly Easyjet though.

Sorry John, but I think I speak for most people when I say "what?"

In 1958 in probably cost around 2/- (10p in todays money) to see the game whereas now it's around £30, even accounting for inflation that's a massive increase, also the 1958 figures included all the big clubs as there wasn't a Premier League then, that's probably why attendances are lower

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Working with all the above  figures total attendance should be in the region of 21 million

There simply was not as much competition for peoples time and money back then.

30 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

In 1958 in probably cost around 2/- (10p in todays money) to see the game whereas now it's around £30, even accounting for inflation that's a massive increase, also the 1958 figures included all the big clubs as there wasn't a Premier League then, that's probably why attendances are lower

Back in the day you could get bus to the ground , a programe and rosette, your ticket to the match a bag of chips on the way home and buy a nice terraced house in Fishponds, and still have change from half a crown!

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

There's 40% more things to do in 2019, other than go to the match, than there were in 1958. 

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

My brother earned 10/-6 as a 15 year old on the railway in 1958 that makes a football match a 5th of his weekly wage which seems expensive.

48 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

There's 40% more things to do in 2019, other than go to the match, than there were in 1958. 

.................. all of them worse! 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

You’re going to have explain that John.......it’s lost on most of us, including me..

Here's his original workings out - that should make it clearer.

complicated-math-equation-equations-stock-illustration-of-16133692.jpg.f1c080c789ad8b9f1960307f75dcaafb.jpg

Of course, it might be the algorithm calculation he uses to work out which flights to take to away games!

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Brilliant ! 

But on a serious note, how would 21 million people use Parson street? The council would shut it for being too busy.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Back in the day you could get bus to the ground , a programe and rosette, your ticket to the match a bag of chips on the way home and buy a nice terraced house in Fishponds, and still have change from half a crown!

I remember those days although I didn’t bother with a rosette and got to AG in my schoolmates dad Bedford van and park in the Robins  car park. Mum would give me 2/6 to go to the match. Later in the week I dare’nt ask for pocket money.......

He’d buy his son a programme so that we could all work out the ht scores on the boards when the old guy in a brown coat put them up.

How times have changed.......

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I remember those days although I didn’t bother with a rosette and got to AG in my schoolmates dad Bedford van and park in the Robins  car park. Mum would give me 2/6 to go to the match. Later in the week I dare’nt ask for pocket money.......

He’d buy his son a programme so that we could all work out the ht scores on the boards when the old guy in a brown coat put them up.

How times have changed.......

Listening to a transistor radio on the bus home so you could catch all the  results - back when all the league games were played on a Saturday afternoon.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Back in the day I got a bus to the ground and sat next to Dicky Downs (young centre forward who played a few matches for City in the 60s). We had an interesting chat. (I thought it was interesting but, as I was I young schoolboy, he might not have been impressed with my advice). The only way I could go to the ground with a player nowadays is if I was their chauffeur)

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Listening to a transistor radio on the bus home so you could catch all the  results - back when all the league games were played on a Saturday afternoon.

And waiting eagerly for the bloke that came round your street selling the green un. Damn! Clevedon red beat me to it.

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning ?

31 minutes ago, downendcity said:

complicated-math-equation-equations-stock-illustration-of-16133692.jpg.f1c080c789ad8b9f1960307f75dcaafb.jpg

Of course, it might be the algorithm calculation he uses to work out which flights to take to away games!

I think that's a rather simplistic view of the issue at hand.

32 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ah, now I see the problem. He forgot to carry the 1. Makes perfect sense now. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

My brother earned 10/-6 as a 15 year old on the railway in 1958 that makes a football match a 5th of his weekly wage which seems expensive.

I was meaning adult prices, your brother would have got in for probably half that. In 1958 the average annual wage was £569, ie about £11 per week

Archived