IGNORED

EFL should be ashamed attendances have hit a new record

In 1967 could watch Spurs for 10 p from by queing at the boys only entrance , ground admission was 20 p and seats at the Park Lane end were 40p.

Went to Deby away on the train for 50p from London so still had change from my paper round of 75p.

Seem to remember Percy Dalton Peanuts being sold within the ground never understood why they were so popular.

Bloody hell, this has got me remembering things from childhood that I haven’t thought about in decades. I grew up living on Windmill Hill in Bedminster. At the bottom of the hill, under the railway arch, was a lamppost beneath which an old guy, who I knew simply as Fred the paper man, stood and sold the Evening Post. It was my job as a nipper to run down with a handful of copper coins from no. 7 where we lived and fetch a Pink Un and a Green Un for my Dad.

No wonder I turned into a lifelong addict. The indoctrination process started very early.

(Anybody else of my generation grow up around there and remember this?)

I think attendances are low because the airlines aren’t playing ball with their times. Too many fans are getting flights but turning straight around and coming home without even bothering going to the games ?

7 minutes ago, Big C said:

I think attendances are low because the airlines aren’t playing ball with their times. Too many fans are getting flights but turning straight around and coming home without even bothering going to the games ?

But if they bought a match ticket they would still be counted so your argument doesn`t really hold water. No-one would fly to a match without ensuring they had a ticket to get in.

Would they?

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

But if they bought a match ticket they would still be counted so your argument doesn`t really hold water. No-one would fly to a match without ensuring they had a ticket to get in.

Would they?

Well, they might if they could guarantee to be able to return on the same plane as they arrived.

Otherwise of course "no".

On 10/05/2019 at 06:46, Never to the dark side said:

The population of ENGLAND in 1958 was approx 40 million

2019 population is approx 56 million

The North/South divisions were abolished in 1958

Working with all the above  figures total attendance should be in the region of 21 million

Just out of interest what is it ?

It threads like this remind  of my youth, walking up to the happy landings pub buying a green un and pink, reading about the game , then  cutting out the report and sticking it in scrap book .  At the end of the season reading about those games . Happy days .

On 10/05/2019 at 09:31, Moments of Pleasure said:

There's 40% more things to do in 2019, other than go to the match, than there were in 1958. 

Really? Such as? 

In 1958 you could still attend all other sports, go shopping, go to the park, beach, zoo, and even the cinema without taking out a mortgage or even entertain yourself with the girlfriend, missus or mistress. 

Basically you were spared being a nerd by constant playing of computer games. 

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:00, downendcity said:

Back in the day you could get a bus to the ground , a programme and rosette, your ticket to the match a bag of chips and a copy of Fiesta Readers Wives on the way home and buy a nice terraced house in Fishponds, and still have change from half a crown!  

...well I'm shocked at you  @downendcity   ?

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:33, pongo88 said:

Back in the day I got a bus to the ground and sat next to Dicky Downs (young centre forward who played a few matches for City in the 60s). We had an interesting chat. (I thought it was interesting but, as I was I young schoolboy, he might not have been impressed with my advice). The only way I could go to the ground with a player nowadays is if I was their chauffeur)

A bit of lippy and a short skirt might do it for ya Pongo - if you fancy joining the WAGS  (oh and dont forget to shave) bet you'd get a ride from a player or two no probs. ?  

3 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

What I love about John is that he'll drop in with these little nuggets every now and then and then never hit the topic again afterwards!

I think of him as the Mark E Smith of OTIB. He posts something that creates chaos and the sits comfortably at the back watching what ensues. Possibly sipping a pint and smiling to himself.

I blame the fact that the EFL no longer allow those light blue coloured invalid cars around the pitch.

Given the people  that account for the 16 million increase would all qualify for a disabled car, the EFL need to rethink their pitch side parking strategy.

Archived