IGNORED

Berwick

Langford Red

5 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

Berwick the only team in England play in Scottish league

They play a local derby v Cove Rangers (Just along the A!)

Two legs start today

Could become no teams in Scottish league

Hope not

Even though its great to see new team come into the league

Drinking since lunch time?

They'll have to rearrange the Scottish non league then. Cove is from Aberdeen and were the Highland League champions. Berwick due to their location, will drop into the Lowland league.

37 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Were Berwick officially still at war with Germany until relatively recently?

Sure I heard one that because it was disputed in the late 30s early 40s, it became a bit of an issue.

Or was that all a myth?

Russia, not Germany!  

*Thanks to a bureaucratic mistake, it appeared that all 12,000 residents of Berwick-upon-Tweed were excluded from the 1856 peace treaty between Russia and England that Queen Victoria announced after the Crimean War. It was concluded that omission from the Treaty of Paris had left the town in a long-running state of war.

*Not my own work!

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Cove smashed them 4-0 if anyone is interested. So no English clubs left........literally anywhere!!!!

4 hours ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Are there no teams in Scotland now? Stops Celtic winning 9 in a row I suppose............

3 hours ago, 22A said:

They'll have to rearrange the Scottish non league then. Cove is from Aberdeen and were the Highland League champions. Berwick due to their location, will drop into the Lowland league.

2 hours ago, PolskRed said:

My brother was there today, said Berwick were shocking. Real shame, wonder what league they will play in next season?

I daresay the ultimate outcome will be the same, but this was only the first leg....

On 11/05/2019 at 10:36, Bicester Red said:

Two legs start today

Hope not

I travelled on the East Coast rail mainline about twenty years ago and the Berwick Rangers stadium is awesome.

The fence of concrete posts and one tubular bar at the top, combined with a large garden shed in use as a Main Stand is unique in senior league football! No terracing either.

The view over the railway line to the North Sea is beautiful although on a windy February evening game, it might not be so appealing.

13 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Were Berwick officially still at war with Germany until relatively recently?

Sure I heard one that because it was disputed in the late 30s early 40s, it became a bit of an issue.

Or was that all a myth?

"One such was the declaration of the Crimean War against Russia in 1853, which Queen Victoria supposedly signed as "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and all British Dominions". When the Treaty of Paris was signed to conclude the war, "Berwick-upon-Tweed" was left out."

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I travelled on the East Coast rail mainline about twenty years ago and the Berwick Rangers stadium is awesome.

The fence of concrete posts and one tubular bar at the top, combined with a large garden shed in use as a Main Stand is unique in senior league football! No terracing either.

The view over the railway line to the North Sea is beautiful although on a windy February evening game, it might not be so appealing.

Absolutely this. I went to watch Montrose over the Easter weekend and then got the East Coast line to get down to Sheffield for the Wednesday game on the Bank Holiday, and the train line goes right past the Arbroath, Raith, Berwick grounds all the while weaving in and out of amazing landscapes with the North Sea in the background. Stunning places and felt a bit naive for having limited myself to English football grounds as clearly some amazing ramshackle places to watch football up there.

4 hours ago, Olé said:

felt a bit naive for having limited myself to English football grounds as clearly some amazing ramshackle places to watch football up there.

No need to travel to Scotland; Horfield has one.

Just like Eastville did, Berwick's speedway track is round the football pitch.

4 hours ago, Olé said:

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Absolutely this. I went to watch Montrose over the Easter weekend and then got the East Coast line to get down to Sheffield for the Wednesday game on the Bank Holiday, and the train line goes right past the Arbroath, Raith, Berwick grounds all the while weaving in and out of amazing landscapes with the North Sea in the background. Stunning places and felt a bit naive for having limited myself to English football grounds as clearly some amazing ramshackle places to watch football up there.

Did you go there for the football or another reason?

If it's the former, you have my admiration as a dedicated football nut.

I lived in Livingston for two years but didn't venture north of Dundee for any games.

8 hours ago, Unan said:

"One such was the declaration of the Crimean War against Russia in 1853, which Queen Victoria supposedly signed as "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and all British Dominions". When the Treaty of Paris was signed to conclude the war, "Berwick-upon-Tweed" was left out."

It was briefly covered in this Jay Foreman video: 

Two legs start today

Hope not

How is Berwick/ Aberdeen a local derby?

Two legs start today

Hope not

Berwick is Northumberland, Cove is Aberdeen. Not really a local derby!!! 

I've followed Berwick from afar for best part of 40 years after discovering they were English. Real shame what has happened to them, seeing how East Stirling have struggled since they went down I don't see them coming back up anytime soon

17 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I've followed Berwick from afar for best part of 40 years after discovering they were English. Real shame what has happened to them, seeing how East Stirling have struggled since they went down I don't see them coming back up anytime soon

Read "Pointless" by Jeff Connor. Tragi-comedy about ESFC.

They're almost as bad as the clampetts across town.

Archived