IGNORED

Berwick

Langford Red

On 11/05/2019 at 21:50, Bristol Rob said:

Were Berwick officially still at war with Germany until relatively recently?

Sure I heard one that because it was disputed in the late 30s early 40s, it became a bit of an issue.

Or was that all a myth?

No Germany but Russia!

It came from the Crimea war due to the declaration of war listed Berwick but the peace terms did not!!!

14 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Reading through this site is both interesting and informative. I love this description of the facilities, especially the last sentence. I want to go there!

Shielfield Park has a classic oval shape, with a cinder track surrounding the playing area, which is used by the Berwick Bandits Speedway team during the summer. The Main Stand is on the west side of the pitch. It is all seating, mostly with quite large plastic tip up seats, but a section at the northern end are backless. There are a row of floodlights running across the front of the stand which could impede your view. On the opposite side there is terracing which doers’t extend all the way to the far end. The central part of this side has a good sized roof which should provide excellent cover in all but the worst driving rain. This area is known as the ‘Ducket Enclosure’.
There is no access at all to the northern end as most available space is taken up by the bend of the speedway track. Whilst at the southern end there is just a flat pathway to access the ‘Ducket’ side. Although there is nothing to prevent spectators standing in this area, it is a long way from the pitch, and of course a very long way to the far end goal. There is a pronounced slope from the south end down to the north end. This slope is also prevalent in the Main Stand as the walkway at the front of the seats goes down also. Some of the seats are not exactly parallel with the pitch.

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Reading through this site is both interesting and informative. I love this description of the facilities, especially the last sentence. I want to go there!

Shielfield Park has a classic oval shape, with a cinder track surrounding the playing area, which is used by the Berwick Bandits Speedway team during the summer. The Main Stand is on the west side of the pitch. It is all seating, mostly with quite large plastic tip up seats, but a section at the northern end are backless. There are a row of floodlights running across the front of the stand which could impede your view. On the opposite side there is terracing which doers’t extend all the way to the far end. The central part of this side has a good sized roof which should provide excellent cover in all but the worst driving rain. This area is known as the ‘Ducket Enclosure’.
There is no access at all to the northern end as most available space is taken up by the bend of the speedway track. Whilst at the southern end there is just a flat pathway to access the ‘Ducket’ side. Although there is nothing to prevent spectators standing in this area, it is a long way from the pitch, and of course a very long way to the far end goal. There is a pronounced slope from the south end down to the north end. This slope is also prevalent in the Main Stand as the walkway at the front of the seats goes down also. Some of the seats are not exactly parallel with the pitch.

I liked the bit about what it’s like for away supporters, no segregation but take exception to being called “English *********!”

Archived