IGNORED

The Spurs of the Championship

DaveInSA

Are we (or can we be) the Spurs of the Championship. There are parallels...

1. Newly redeveloped stadium
  2. Strong youth policy
  3. No "bought in" big name transfers 
  4. Amazing team spirit
  5. Young & ambitious coach
  6. A big question about what next?

I don't think we are quite there ....yet. We have to answer the question at point 6. And we haven't finished top 4 for the last 4 seasons. Can we become that club?

5 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

2. Strong youth policy
  4. Amazing team spirit

I don't think we are quite there ....yet. We have to answer the question at point 6. And we haven't finished top 4 for the last 4 seasons. Can we become that club?

On a bizarrely coincidental basis, I had this thought this morning in relation to Pochettinos ultimatum. In effect, MP is saying “right, I’ve done as much as I can if not more with the finances to date - now if you want me to stay, and you want us to kick on, I need support”

All it was missing was the word “bold” several times and it could have come out of the words of someone closer to home...

I think you’ll find that the Memorial Ground has been upgraded more recently than AG, with the pitching of their new family stand (sans row M) hence their claim, during  the last season, that only themselves and Spurs were upgrading their facilities. That is, apart from Exeter and Plymouth. Oh and the brand new ground being built by Brentford. 

In the past they’ve also laid claimed to being the “Barcelona of League Two” - a title to which I sincerely hope they lay claim again very soon. 

In short, they’ve already nabbed all of the best comparisons for themselves.

Thus overall, I think that we will be best to consider ourselves merely the “Bristol City of the Championship”.

58 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

2. Strong youth policy
  4. Amazing team spirit

A mate of mine is Spurs fan and we always talk of the parallels in that both teams are also close to achieving their dream but let you down at the last minute! And usually lose their big games

50 minutes ago, RedDave said:

A mate of mine is Spurs fan and we always talk of the parallels in that both teams are also close to achieving their dream but let you down at the last minute! And usually lose their big games

Indeed. I think Derby are ahead of us in terms of their tendency to Spurs it up but we certainly run them close...

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Give it time...………………………..

Life on Earth will die out in around 7.5billion years when the sun expands and burns the planet into a crispy wasteland.

That’s still not enough time for us to get to the level Spurs are currently at.

1 minute ago, BS2 Red said:

Life on Earth will die out in around 7.5billion years when the sun expands and burns the planet into a crispy wasteland.

That’s still not enough time for us to get to the level Spurs are currently at.

As a wise man once said `these things take time`

#evolutionnotrevolution

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I tend to think of us as the Brighton of the Championship as we seem to be mirroring everything they`ve done only about seven years later.

Excellent. When we going up?

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Give it time...………………………..

3 seasons.

FA Cup and League cup double next season, Europa League the year after, then European Super Cup and Champions League in the third season.

And some will still want LJ out because we don't get promoted in that time.

5 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

2. Strong youth policy
  4. Amazing team spirit

you forgot their results up and down like ours with good runs followed by a recent bad run, almost mirrored our own, even the timing.

6 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

2. Strong youth policy
  4. Amazing team spirit

Soft as ****.

Archived