IGNORED

Conference Play Off Final

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

8,000 fans there, pretty sure Yate Town v Weston Super Mare would have a higher attendance in the same game.

I doubt it unless WSM took 7,700 of them. Yate’s average attendance was 303 (in a ground that holds over 1,000), well behind SLS1 new boys Melksham Town who topped the attendance table with an average of 390 in a stadium that holds about 500. 

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I doubt it unless WSM took 7,700 of them. Yate’s average attendance was 303 (in a ground that holds over 1,000), well behind SLS1 new boys Melksham Town who topped the attendance table with an average of 390 in a stadium that holds about 500. 

Thats definitely the way it works Royston

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

So a bankrolled club get in to the league at the expense of Notts County with all their tradition and history.

But all clubs at EFL level are bankrolled by individuals or organisations to some extent, only some are better bankrolled than others. No team lives off it’s supporters alone. 

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

So a bankrolled club get in to the league at the expense of Notts County with all their tradition and history.

In fairness Notts Co went down regardless of how "traditional" the team coming the other way was. How a club of that stature got relegated is criminal

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Thanks mate thought not but sky saying they did

Their playoff system works a little differently, think 1 team goes up automatically, this year it was Leyton Orient, then 2nd and 3rd place are in their own little playoff where they play the winner of the 4-7 mini playoff, so I think Eastleigh were 7th and beat Wrexham and then had to play Salford in the semi final of the playoffs which means the winner of the last play off game goes up.

weird format, I was confused today looking at the bbc website with the line drawn under Solihull and Salford

4 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Their playoff system works a little differently, think 1 team goes up automatically, this year it was Leyton Orient, then 2nd and 3rd place are in their own little playoff where they play the winner of the 4-7 mini playoff, so I think Eastleigh were 7th and beat Wrexham and then had to play Salford in the semi final of the playoffs which means the winner of the last play off game goes up.

weird format, I was confused today looking at the bbc website with the line drawn under Solihull and Salford

That's correct. All of the ties are one-off games with the higher placed team having home advantage.

5 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Fylde are just as plastic as Salford, let’s not forget. 

Why are Fylde “plastic” ?! What’s your definition of ‘plastic’ in a football sense? And why do you describe Salford as ‘plastic’ too ?! Because they’ve had investment into their clubs?! If so, have you heard of Steve Lansdown?!

What an over-used, shite term ‘plastic’ is, in a football sense,  - and those who use it largely have no idea what it means and why they’ve used it ...

7 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Anyone been to the Salford stadium? May give it a go on the groundhopping tour next year

5 hours ago, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

I have, nice ground, two stands seated and one standing. Watched them when they beat Hartlepool 3-0 this season. They sell local food like we do at the gate on their food stalls too

I've been but it was years ago before the CO92 crowd came in, and it's changed beyond all recognition since then, it had to in order to meet the criteria for promotion up the leagues.

Long term, dependent on league position, the feeling is that they'll look to move into the rugby ground where Sale and Salford Reds are currently based.

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

And we all know why the gates of these teams are so low, too much tv football. 

Games at 12.30 on a Saturday, then a couple hour break but with live feeds from all over the country, then another live game at 5.30 pm. Tv football is not good at all for our local non league clubs. Midweek games are the same, people now sit in their living rooms watching Sky, rather than going out and supporting their local teams, it really is a shame.

6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

And we all know why the gates of these teams are so low, too much tv football. 

Games at 12.30 on a Saturday, then a couple hour break but with live feeds from all over the country, then another live game at 5.30 pm. Tv football is not good at all for our local non league clubs. Midweek games are the same, people now sit in their living rooms watching Sky, rather than going out and supporting their local teams, it really is a shame.

I'm not so sure about this I have friends that regularly watch the earlier game then watch the local non league team and then watch the late game but maybe they are the minority. 

I think it's just a matter of priorities, I would always listen to city on the radio over watching local non league football. But I would always watch live sport (local non league football) over listening or watching anything that wasn't City on Radio/TV. 

Watching the modern game on TV is like watching with tunnel vision. 

For those of you that don't know anything about Salford, let me tell you that they were a modest North West Counties league side, who played in tangerine strips and averaged crowds of less than 100. The class of 92 got involved of course, changing the club colours and identity to match Man United, but in the last 3 years, Singapore billionaire Peter Lim has bankrolled them with a bottomless pit of money. The craziest example of their spending was their ability to entice Adam Rooney to the club from Aberdeen.

Upon reaching the football league, he plans to get around the Financial Fair Play rules by paying a massive sum of money as a sponsership deal for the stadium. There is no end to Lim's wealth and I'll bet any money they'll be in the Championship within five years. As for the fans, if you want any further evidence of how plastic and pathetic they are, there was a lunchtime kickoff game on BT sports a few weeks ago. By the end of the game, about half the crowd had already left because they were United season ticket holders and they needed to make Old Trafford by 3pm.

AFC Fylde aren't much better to be honest. They've only existed for ten years and their owner is bankrolling the club out of spite because his investment was rejected by Blackpool. Their "fans" consisted mostly of Blackpool fans who were boycotting during the Oyston days. I bet their crowds will drop back to below 1000 next season now they have their club back.

Salford and Fylde not plastic? Don't make me laugh.

@Wanderingred

So Salford’s fans are plastic as they pay and attend two football matches in one day?

Fylde’s are as the attendees to their matches had a strong enough anti Oyston feeling that they decided to support another local club instead by going to their games?

I must have a different definition of plastic fans than you!

And I don’t think any City fans can complain about being bankrolled, we only recently ‘bought’ the L1 title!

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Really, what was our net spend?

Screenshot 2019-05-12 at 09.21.11.png

Screenshot 2019-05-12 at 09.22.04.png

And what about the wage bill?

And even if that was not top 3rd of the table I still don’t think we can complain about other clubs being bankrolled.  We certainly have by SL.

32 minutes ago, RumRed said:

@Wanderingred

So Salford’s fans are plastic as they pay and attend two football matches in one day?

Fylde’s are as the attendees to their matches had a strong enough anti Oyston feeling that they decided to support another local club instead by going to their games?

I must have a different definition of plastic fans than you!

And I don’t think any City fans can complain about being bankrolled, we only recently ‘bought’ the L1 title!

What's your definition of plastic then, if it's not somebody who suddenly becomes a "supporter" of a club at the first whiff of success?

As for us "buying" the league 1 title, that has to be the biggest load of drivel I've read on here for a while.

8 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

What's your definition of plastic then, if it's not somebody who suddenly becomes a "supporter" of a club at the first whiff of success?

As for us "buying" the league 1 title, that has to be the biggest load of drivel I've read on here for a while.

My version of a plastic is someone in a replica shirt watching a team on SKY who’s never attended a live match?  Not someone paying to see non league!

And you can’t possibly say we haven’t been ‘bankrolled’. Or did you miss the 40m pound spent on the ground whilst in the third tier?  The same league Rovers are now in with their cobbled together ground?

12 minutes ago, RumRed said:

* My version of a plastic is someone in a replica shirt watching a team on SKY who’s never attended a live match?  Not someone paying to see non league!

**And you can’t possibly say we haven’t been ‘bankrolled’. Or did you miss the 40m pound spent on the ground whilst in the third tier?  The same league Rovers are now in with their cobbled together ground?

* Fair enough. I would agree with you on that too.

** Every club is bankrolled to a certain extent, including City of course. That isn't what you said though. You said that we bought the league 1 title, which is completely ridiculous given that most of our signings were free transfers, we balanced the books with the sale of Baldock and we probably didn't even have the biggest wage bill that season (would imagine that was Sheff Utd).

@Wanderingred Your argument makes no sense whatsoever.  I’ll go and support Salford as they’re so successful, rather the Man Utd on the doorstep or Man City which is a tram ride away?

Supporting non league football is giving money to the grassroots of football and raising it’s profile.  You just sound bitter that there is now money involved at that level. 

4 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

* Fair enough. I would agree with you on that too.

** Every club is bankrolled to a certain extent, including City of course. That isn't what you said though. You said that we bought the league 1 title, which is completely ridiculous given that most of our signings were free transfers, we balanced the books with the sale of Baldock and we probably didn't even have the biggest wage bill that season (would imagine that was Sheff Utd).

Fair enough I take back the bought the l1 title.

41 minutes ago, RumRed said:

And what about the wage bill?

And even if that was not top 3rd of the table I still don’t think we can complain about other clubs being bankrolled.  We certainly have by SL.

No problem with that at all, although I dispute buying the League though. 
The figures bandied around for Salford are on another level to anything below the Championship has seen before. It could be the first club to see success purely on the owners many alone, next year will see. A fanbase of a couple of thousand but a team to challenge for L1 will not necessarily be new, but to achieve and sustain will be. 
I don't care how much money he has, football will put a big dent in it and really test his conviction.

5 minutes ago, RumRed said:

@Wanderingred Your argument makes no sense whatsoever.  I’ll go and support Salford as they’re so successful, rather the Man Utd on the doorstep or Man City which is a tram ride away?

Supporting non league football is giving money to the grassroots of football and raising it’s profile.  You just sound bitter that there is now money involved at that level. 

That’s just sad. 

Fair enough I take back the bought the l1 title.

Dear god. You really have no idea what you are talking about. Bitter?

I just hate the likes of Salford City who are nothing more than a personal plaything for a billionaire. He's thrown money around without a second thought , changed the clubs colours and identity, and created a totally unsustainable business model. Daddy gets bored, they go pop, just like Rushden & Diamonds, and the few remaining loyal fans have to pick up the pieces and start over. The same thing has happened at North Ferriby, who have been liquidated this season because their previous owner was on a reckless ego trip and amassed huge debts that their tiny gates were never going to be able to cover. Now they've lost their club.

You think that's good for "grass roots" football? You think that's raising it's profile in a positive way? For a decent non league model that supports grassroots football, look at Melksham Town and the setup there.

There are no planned celebrations in the city of Salford over the weekend. No planned open bus tour of the city. Nothing. 

Salford city have a long history as the ammies but the recent success and colour change from orange to red is very much a contrived affair. Having said that, Salford  are not a franchise MK dons monster.

One good thing I supppose is that they have contributed to the demise of FC United - another contrived non-league idea that is losing fans and has suffered its first relegation.

11 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

The same thing has happened at North Ferriby, who have been liquidated this season because their previous owner was on a reckless ego trip and amassed huge debts that their tiny gates were never going to be able to cover. Now they've lost their club.

The ‘previous owner’ at North Ferriby was Jamie Waltham (the Chadwick brothers were the owners when they went under) - Waltham reduced the weekly wage bill from £5,000 to £1,600 - not quite a ‘reckless ego trip’ and the ‘huge debts’ they ‘amassed’ - they were liquidated with total outstanding debts of £7,645 - wouldn’t call that huge ...

Archived