IGNORED

Sunderland v Portsmouth

Bristol Rob

Lowest home attendance all season. For a play off semi final! 

Its rather baffling - they got 41k when they played Portsmouth in the league a fortnight ago. Did they get the pricing massively wrong??

16 minutes ago, TomF said:

Lowest home attendance all season. For a play off semi final! 

Its rather baffling - they got 41k when they played Portsmouth in the league a fortnight ago. Did they get the pricing massively wrong??

Dont think so....read it was £20 and £7.50 for kids anywhere in ground. Decent that. Wonder if its to do with the kick off time?

24,000 season ticket holders who would have had to fork out for this game just a few weeks after their most recent league match.

For me, the first leg always felt like watching a game upto half-time. Unless you get a decent lead, you're coming away from the match with that uncertain feeling for the second leg. Just ask Barcelona ?

So today was their lowest crowd of the whole season, in a play off game!

Below was in the Sunderland echo two days ago. 

The Wearsiders lowest attendance of the campaign thus far has been the 27,580 crowd that turned out at the Stadium of Light against Blackpool in February - with the majority of home supports this season topping the 30,000 mark.

That really is bizarre! 

I agree with the point above, that the first leg is almost a bit pointless, in terms of it not actually giving you a result, but still, to get the lowest crowd of the season is very, very odd..! 

Maybe they are just bored of seeing Sunderland play Pompey, again..!

1 hour ago, TinMan's left peg said:

There must be another reason surely.

Maybe it is to do with including season tickets in attendance figures.

We don't actually know the attendance figures through the season, just the tickets sold - and maybe given away too.

People may have renewed season tickets to ensure they have one when they return to the PL :facepalm:

But it may just indicate how far out match day attendance statistics really are, as I expect for a one off game like this the tickets sold is close to the actual attendance.

2 hours ago, Unan said:

Portsmouth couldn't even sell 2k, embarrassing 

I wouldn't knock that effort to be honest, very long journey,  7.45 Saturday night, game on tv, we only took about 500 odd to Hartlepool for our 1st leg play off game all those years a go for a 5.30 kick off, that is probably more embarrassing.

16 hours ago, Unan said:

Portsmouth couldn't even sell 2k, embarrassing 

For an evening kick off? An overnight stay after the game?

Crazy and inconsiderate timing. Villa played Albion at midday yet that one would have perfectly suited an evening kick off. 

Football authorities don't give a toss about supporters.

22 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Plastic Mackums

Newcastle turned up in numbers today with Nout to play for. 

Stadium of S~ite can't sell out for a big game (pathetic, they could have given Pompey another 10k)

Bit harsh that Is, it is strange they had lowest gate of the season but dont think Sunderland fans can be called pathetic.

22 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Plastic Mackums

Newcastle turned up in numbers today with Nout to play for. 

Stadium of S~ite can't sell out for a big game (pathetic, they could have given Pompey another 10k)

If you think they are plastic, I dread to think what other clubs supporters are?!

Having worked in the North East, I can reassure you they are nothing but crazy about football. Worked with a guy who every family member for a couple of generations had been buried in there Sunderland kit at the funeral - apparently it is common in the North East?

IMO, most in the North East are working class football fans who live and die football. There is a good series on Netflix about there relegation from the Prem - decent watch.

Archived