IGNORED

City players in local cricket

22A

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Those days are long gone I think. I suspect insurance wouldn`t allow it - I think I read somewhere that players have to get special permission if they want to do anything `dangerous` like bungee jumping or scuba diving on holiday even.

Neither are they allowed to be building site labourers, deck chair attendants, as summer jobs done by players in the past.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Those days are long gone I think. I suspect insurance wouldn`t allow it - I think I read somewhere that players have to get special permission if they want to do anything `dangerous` like bungee jumping or scuba diving on holiday even.

I don't think they are even allowed to play football outside the activities provided by the club - so no just going for a kick about with your mates down the park jumpers for goalposts stuff. 

Not sure what agd this starts from though. 

It’s not just amateur cricket that footballers played in the past. Arthur Milton played for Arsenal and Bristol City in the winter and for Gloucestershire in the summer. He also managed a few caps for England for cricket and one for football. After such an illustrious career he ended up as a postman 

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It’s not just amateur cricket that footballers played in the past. Arthur Milton played for Arsenal and Bristol City in the winter and for Gloucestershire in the summer. He also managed a few caps for England for cricket and one for football. After such an illustrious career he ended up as a postman 

There were several not really too long ago. Chris Balderstone for Leicestershire & Carlisle United, Doncaster and Huddersfield.

Phil Neal for Worcestershire, Scunny and Lincoln could well have been the most recent - back in the late eighties. As an aside, he was in the Lincoln side that were the opposition at Valley Parade on the day of the fire.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

There were several not really too long ago. Chris Balderstone for Leicestershire & Carlisle United, Doncaster and Huddersfield.

Phil Neal for Worcestershire, Scunny and Lincoln could well have been the most recent - back in the late eighties. 

And a certain Sir Ian Botham....

Many football teams have their origins in cricket teams wanting to keep fit in the winter months.

But not a chance any of our players will be playing cricket this summer, nor riding motorbikes, ice skating, or any other activity that could even possibly do them an injury.

6 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Steve Phillips always played for Purnells when at City.

Phillips played for Chilcompton until pretty recently, he's also a very decent cyclist. City youth midfielder George Dowling played for Bemmie. 

Not City players but Joe Joyce, Marco Mama and Nick Koster (all Bristol rugby players at the time) turned out for Bishopston 4ths a few years ago, and SL bought Bishopston a digital scoreboard for £10k a while back. 

For the oldies.

One of our own, Arthur Milton,  played for Gloucestershire and is one of a very select group to have played football and cricket for England. 

I stand to be corrected, but think he was the last to do so.

12 hours ago, downendcity said:

For the oldies.

One of our own, Arthur Milton,  played for Gloucestershire and is one of a very select group to have played football and cricket for England. 

Not England but Andy Goram played for Scotland at both football and cricket.

• Barrie Meyer was the Gloucestershire wicket keeper when I first started watching them in the mid 60s, played for City and the Gas, also Newport.  He probably became better known as an International Cricket Umpire, would have been around the umpiring circuit at the same time as David Sheppard 80s/90s, both now unfortunately no longer with us.

On 12/05/2019 at 16:08, handsofclay said:

John Shaw played local cricket I'm sure. Recall seeing a pic of him balling in the E Post years ago. There was more shine left on his head than the ball.

John played for Flax Bourton - opening bowler. One of my earliest cricket memories is taking a catch at mid on away , off his bowling at Abergavenny,. Must have been around 12 at the time....

16 hours ago, downendcity said:

For the oldies.

Yep. He was our postie. What a gent. Last dual international. Batted over 1000 times for Glos and won promotion with City. 

Archived