IGNORED

City players in local cricket

22A

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Harold Jarman, Bobby Etheridge, Ron Nicholls, all played league football and county cricket in the 60s...

Wow.

I had to look it up (Sorry for doubting you), but Harold Jarman, that great Rovers winger played first class cricket for Gloucestershire.

I never knew (or, more likely, had forgotten) that.

On 12/05/2019 at 17:39, hail gus cesaer said:

I played against him he was playing for Paulton and he scored 96 with the bat and took 6 wickets including mine! ***!!

He hits the ball miles. As a bowler I’m glad i’ve only ever played with him. Still plays for Purnells occasionally and still more than capable of clearing a boundary or two. 

10 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Played his club cricket for Downend. 

I seem to recall that - my local club at the time - but I just have no recollection of him playing for Glos.

Mind you, Downend have had some pretty useful players over the years and always used to attract healthy crowds.

35 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Was WG as good as they say?! :thumbsup:

Interestingly, whilst WG was born in Downend, I don't believe he ever actually played cricket for Downend Cricket Club.

No doubt there is someone here with more local historical knowledge of the club who can confirm or otherwise.

On 12/05/2019 at 16:16, Rudolf Hucker said:

I seem to recall that David Rogers was apparently good enough to have played county cricket. Can’t remember where he played club cricket. 

Dave was a very good and very competitive cricketer. He played Club Cricket at Stoke Bishop and also on Sunday’s for Southville Wayfarers. He had huge power and hit massive sixes. 

I played with him at Southville for a few years when I was about 14-15 in 78/79 and quite a few of the City lads turned out. I recall Don Gillies, KeithFear, Ray Cashley and Chris Garland. 

The cricket was a decent standard as we had lots of good local players and the social side was better being the days befor drink-driving laws got strict. 

I remember one game was abandoned due to rain mid afternoon and the opposition challenged us to a game of football with wickets for post. Can you imagine top division footballers doing that today ! I was made up playing football along side guys I spent the winter supporting. 

Archived