IGNORED

Kieffer Moore - Signed for Wigan

Coppello

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

That’s the point though. Why should he be the only one?

If we keep Diedhiou and buy Moore then we have quite a lot of forward players.

I think whether Diedhiou is sold or not is massive. If he is staying then that tells me we will be going with one big striker up top every game, either Fam or Moore. It means we won't be going back to the Pato and Reid style exciting high press.

Maybe Szmodics will play up there with one of them, but we will not be a free flowing passing side as Diedhiou isn't capable of playing in that way.

If we sell Diedhiou then I see Moore as being more of a Plan B. As I expect us to bring in a quality different type of striker to replace Diedhiou like Nketiah.

I prefer that second idea out of the two.

11 minutes ago, Leveller said:

That’s the point though. Why should he be the only one?

He shouldn’t be the only one your right. I’m just sceptical as we have had a bit of a problem getting decent goal scoring strikers into the club the last 18/24 months.

14 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think what we lack and ought to be after (like everybody else) is a genuine small, fast goal poacher in the manner of Andy Cole or Jermaine Defoe. None of the number 10 types fit that bill.

Of all the names mentioned on various threads Vydra probably fits the bill most of all?

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Of all the names mentioned on various threads Vydra probably fits the bill most of all?

He's really not that kind of player. More a goalscoring 10 than a poacher. Not really quick or hard working but very skilfull and of course scores goals at this level.

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He's really not that kind of player. More a goalscoring 10 than a poacher. Not really quick or hard working but very skilfull and of course scores goals at this level.

Yeah, you`re probably right - he does have that right place, right time knack though. I wonder how many penalties he`s won in his career as well - the one for Derby at AG the season before last was him turning on the edge of the box and bursting in on goal IIRC.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yeah, you`re probably right - he does have that right place, right time knack though. I wonder how many penalties he`s won in his career as well - the one for Derby at AG the season before last was him turning on the edge of the box and bursting in on goal IIRC.

Yes, he likes to play facing the goal and using his skill. I was surprised he went to Burnley, not a Dyche sort of player 

36 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think what we lack and ought to be after (like everybody else) is a genuine small, fast goal poacher in the manner of Andy Cole or Jermaine Defoe. None of the number 10 types fit that bill.

Agree. And we have a player in Eliasson who is just about the best crosser I have ever seen down here. His amazing whipped in crosses are just too quick for Diedhiou.

It's not even simply down to Diedhiou not knowing where to be, or not knowing how to score goals. The season before showed Diedhiou can certainly score by being in the right place at the right time.

But it's more that Diedhiou isn't sharp enough off the mark to get onto those brilliant balls that get fired between the centre backs and goalie across goal.

How many times did we see Diedhiou dive, and often at the right time as he can't go before Eliasson puts it in, but just isn't quick enough to get onto it.

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

He destroyed our defence with power and pace the last time we played at Oakwell.

Yep and atrocious defending from us, or should I say Baker!

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. And we have a player in Eliasson who is just about the best crosser I have ever seen down here. His amazing whipped in crosses are just too quick for Diedhiou.

Jon, our favourite Swede (sorry Tommy) is better than Sir Alan Walsh?

1 minute ago, Norn Iron said:

Jon, our favourite Swede (sorry Tommy) is better than Sir Alan Walsh?

I only started watching early 90s, so only comparing to who I been down and seen.

6 hours ago, Leveller said:

I'm not really sure how well poachers work at this level- and certainly above- in 2019.

54 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

But mainly with his elbows and forearms

With our apparent relationship with referees that could be a problem. We saw many a player getting away with those sort of challenges last year, whilst anyone on a City shirt seemed to get into trouble for breathing to heavy in their direction.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

With our apparent relationship with referees that could be a problem. We saw many a player getting away with those sort of challenges last year, whilst anyone on a City shirt seemed to get into trouble for breathing to heavy in their direction.

Yes, but we got some nice apology letters.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

When we last played at Oakwell, Moore elbowed and shoved his way through the defence, then Djuric came on and was instantly on a final warning for holding his arms up to protect the ball. That style of play is all well and good if the refs decide it's permitted, but more often than not they don't and you have a player who's a liability

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Seems like we are again undecided about how we will approach our play next season 

I think it will be one big man, Diedhiou or Moore each game, with a smaller striker like Weimann, Szmodics or whoever we sign like Nketiah, if so I expect him to start often because he is a goalscorer.

And i wouldn't be surprised if LJ generally goes with the 4222 that worked so well against WBA and Sheff Utd second half. I really liked the look of that in those games.

He went to Leipzig and learnt that system. When he went with that in those games we had so many more players in and around the box. Diedhiou will probably go back to scoring more with more players closer to him.

Of course he will also change systems. Especially mid game if we are winning he will often go to a 4141. The key is bringing in adaptable players. Szmodics seems like one of those. 

Archived