IGNORED

Kieffer Moore - Signed for Wigan

Coppello

I'll be very disappointed if Moore ends up being similar in quality to Djuric. To me it looks like Moore has a lot more pace and movement. And has become a bit of a goalscorer in league one, 17 last season and missed 15 games. Hoping he can do that in the championship. I predict he will score at a decent rate. He struggled in the championship before, but that ws 2 years ago. Most players in their mid 20s would have been worse 2 years ago.

He’s fairly quick and scored 17 goals last season. This season he’ll be playing in a better team and hopefully LJ will play Elliason regularly who as we know can put the ball on his head. Need a quickie on the other wing. Szmodics will push forward at pace and can set up chances for Moore and/or Diedhiou or both. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Wouldn't it be amazing if Marley proved everyone wrong this season. For more reasons that one.

It would be astounding.

For me, Watkins is way behind most of the players in technical terms, he needs a touch more on the ball.

I'm really not sure what the club (or LJ) saw in him other than honest endeavour and a great attitude.

21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It would be astounding.

For me, Watkins is way behind most of the players in technical terms, he needs a touch more on the ball.

I'm really not sure what the club (or LJ) saw in him other than honest endeavour and a great attitude.

He was very good at Barnsley that one season in the championship. I think LJ thought he could get him playing like that again, which he has yet to do.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He was very good at Barnsley that one season in the championship. I think LJ thought he could get him playing like that again, which he has yet to do.

He was impressive that season and I'm not intending to slag him off, just that we may have moved on.

Maybe LJ hasn't given up on him and he may well get the best out of him and I hope so.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You're right there- the question is why has he dropped off so badly at his next 2 clubs?

Could that first year have been an outlier, or has he just imploded thereafter? As well as goals and assists which can of course mislead, his all-round numbers at Barnsley in 2016/17 were pretty good! Sometimes players though are happy at a certain 'level', environment or maybe even simply club. That season may have inflated things for him but to fall off so sharply is striking.

At the risk of this continuing to not be a Kieffer Moore thread, my feeling with Watkins is that he’s a solid starting player for a bottom half championship club. I think we progressed as a club quicker than expected, and that’s made him surplus. Last year, he did fine - ref goals v Blackburn/Blades and solid games early season 

Would I be averse to keeping him as emergency cover? No. Think he’d give it all and do a job. Do I think he’d be better moving for him and us? Yes. But he’ll leave with my Thanks for never putting in less than 100%

Summary - great pro, just not the level we need. But that’s no reason to slate him.

20 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He was impressive that season and I'm not intending to slag him off, just that we may have moved on.

Maybe LJ hasn't given up on him and he may well get the best out of him and I hope so.

Yep, I would sell him. But just wondering if LJ wants to give him one last go.

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You're right there- the question is why has he dropped off so badly at his next 2 clubs?

Could that first year have been an outlier, or has he just imploded thereafter? As well as goals and assists which can of course mislead, his all-round numbers at Barnsley in 2016/17 were pretty good! Sometimes players though are happy at a certain 'level', environment or maybe even simply club. That season may have inflated things for him but to fall off so sharply is striking.

I think he relies heavily on fitness to make him the player he was that season. I know he had an injury or two at Norwich, and he had a few with us too. Maybe that's a reason. He doesn't look as quick as I thought he was at Barnsley.

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

At the risk of this continuing to not be a Kieffer Moore thread, my feeling with Watkins is that he’s a solid starting player for a bottom half championship club. I think we progressed as a club quicker than expected, and that’s made him surplus. Last year, he did fine - ref goals v Blackburn/Blades and solid games early season 

Would I be averse to keeping him as emergency cover? No. Think he’d give it all and do a job. Do I think he’d be better moving for him and us? Yes. But he’ll leave with my Thanks for never putting in less than 100%

Summary - great pro, just not the level we need. But that’s no reason to slate him.

Yep, you may be right about what level he is at.

And we have Weimann, Eliasson, Palmer, Szmodics, Semenyo, Rowe and Adelakun who are all wide options, not counting O'Dowda as I assume he is off.

Not struggling in those areas.

I think the stick he gets is very harsh. He tries his hardest, but that so far hasn't been good enough.

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pretty sure I wrote in January window 2018 when there was talk of paying Norwich £3m for him, that I wondered whether a player  who’d got to the Champ in a slightly unconventional route (Hereford, Bath, ICT etc), had peaked and found a team in Barnsley who’d got the absolute max from him.

For £1m I wasn’t that worried, and I think the early days of last season I saw a player, not easy on the eye, but effective, and as @Silvio Dante says never gave less than 100%.  I actually think he’d started to bond with Jack Hunt and it gave us a slightly naughty edge down our right side....and Hunt was settling in well.

Wouldn't be upset if he went, but I bet you’d he get 7-8 goals from wide right if he played 40 games....which is probably a better ratio than our other midfielders!

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty sure I wrote in January window 2018 when there was talk of paying Norwich £3m for him, that I wondered whether a player  who’d got to the Champ in a slightly unconventional route (Hereford, Bath, ICT etc), had peaked and found a team in Barnsley who’d got the absolute max from him.

For £1m I wasn’t that worried, and I think the early days of last season I saw a player, not easy on the eye, but effective, and as @Silvio Dante says never gave less than 100%.  I actually think he’d started to bond with Jack Hunt and it gave us a slightly naughty edge down our right side....and Hunt was settling in well.

Wouldn't be upset if he went, but I bet you’d he get 7-8 goals from wide right if he played 40 games....which is probably a better ratio than our other midfielders!

How I view it. He was settled at Barnsley. Been there a bit, had the promotion run there and knew his role.

Would not underestimate it being a contract year for him either. He knew he was due a good pay day if he played well and he got it. He has had a long contract every year in the league bar the first. Not saying he is a money grabber just that the security maybe subconsciously let him relax a bit. Worked hard to get to the level and maybe enjoyed the pay packet a bit too much? Only human after all. 

He is not the most technically gifted but agree he could get double digit goals again if he wants to get proper fit. Him on the right and Eliasson on the left would mean two targets to aim for in the box for NE. Not to mention a Weimann or Szmodics buzzing around in the box. Though again he needs to get proper fit so that he doesn’t lose momentum during the season. In the same way I felt it took Freeman 5-6 games to get up to speed and same with Diedhiou. Feel like MW the same. And if we are being honest probably more likely MW plays over Adelakun but can see us training HA for a similar role with better technical ability. 

11 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep, I would sell him. But just wondering if LJ wants to give him one last go.

I think he relies heavily on fitness to make him the player he was that season. I know he had an injury or two at Norwich, and he had a few with us too. Maybe that's a reason. He doesn't look as quick as I thought he was at Barnsley.

Yep, you may be right about what level he is at.

And we have Weimann, Eliasson, Palmer, Szmodics, Semenyo, Rowe and Adelakun who are all wide options, not counting O'Dowda as I assume he is off.

Not struggling in those areas.

I think the stick he gets is very harsh. He tries his hardest, but that so far hasn't been good enough.

Palmer can be replaced by Paterson on that list!

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson on possibility of signing Kasey Palmer: “It's a difficult situation. There's a new manager gone in there & a manager who has worked with Kasey and seen him flourish through the youth teams. The best situation is he fights his way into Chelsea’s side"

Lee Johnson: “But never say never because you never know what is going to happen with the rest of the squad - what might move in, and what might move out. At this moment in time I wouldn't say anything is pending on Kasey Palmer for that reason, really.”

16 hours ago, simon uk said:

Can someone tell me why we would bring in a 15 goal league 1 striker to replace a 15 goal championship striker?

Well LJ was able to turn a out of favour midfielder who barely scored any goals, into a 20 goal a season striker....

Who's to say he cant get this player to move up 1 level and score a decent amount of goals?

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Quite a large gap in the baseline technical ability , actually monumental gap. Keiffer Moore is never a 4 M player , and Marley Watkins a country mile off the technical ability of a player type we need if we are supposed to be playing the way LJ talks about . We still need the quality upfront and in midfield to match our defensive investment. 

I haven't seen him play live, but he looks quite tidy on the ball I reckon. It's hard to get a top number 9 in who is technically brilliant.

27 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Would love it if he proved me wrong but just can’t see it , he’s got the touch of a bouncy castle.

I don't expect he will succeed here. But his touch was the same at Barnsley. Yet he played really well there even in their side when they were for a bit in the playoff places.

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Do you think he could play as a target man type of forward davefews ?????

59 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

Do you think he could play as a target man type of forward davefews ?????

Target man in the traditional sense?  Nope.  He certainly gave Flint an easy game at home to Boro last season.

Big, mobile, run the channels forward?  Yes, potentially.  Wouldn’t be first choice, but he won’t hide either.

49 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Thought Watkins looked okay start of the season out wide. Got a couple goals, was good aerially when we didn’t have Diedhiou. 

I thought he was effective and i’ve mentioned several times I think Hunt liked having him in front of him.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fam is capable of some sublime touches too.

Yeah he can. Just can't remember him ever running at pace and controlling a high ball like that. But I guess it's more down to how consistent the first touch is more than the one great touch like Moore showed there.

Archived