IGNORED

Kieffer Moore - Signed for Wigan

Coppello

36 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Do you really think we would spend £4-£5m on someone who is not our main striker target?

It would be bold... ?

Having said that, £4mill on him and £8-10mill on a poacher, gives us a £17mill strikeforce including Fammy.

We were rumoured to be spending £15m on Assombalonga this January, so why not?

9 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

No, not Barnsley again. Haven't we learnt from Watkins signing.

2m if true is wasting money. Fewer buys but at at least 5m and players who will automatically be first choice and not 'a punt', 'one for the bench' , 'one for the future ',   'another club in the bag' , or 'good back-up'.

Ryan Kent was a bit rubbish. Probably means we shouldn't sign anyone from Liverpool again either...

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Ryan Kent was a bit rubbish. Probably means we shouldn't sign anyone from Liverpool again either...

I don't think Kent was/is rubbish , I think the fault lay with the coaching and support staff 

25 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I don't think Kent was/is rubbish , I think the fault lay with the coaching and support staff 

Kent can play.

My perception of the problem is that he actually did not want to play here. Goodness knows why we loaned him in, but he is a talented lad.

To an extent the same with Leko - lad could play, but did not suit our system.

57 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

No, not Barnsley again. Haven't we learnt from Watkins signing.

2m if true is wasting money. Fewer buys but at at least 5m and players who will automatically be first choice and not 'a punt', 'one for the bench' , 'one for the future ',   'another club in the bag' , or 'good back-up'.

Watkins of 2 seasons ago- so 2016/17- was very decent actually. In fact, Barnsley had a pretty good side which they needlessly dismantled, in Jan 2017 particularly.

He hasn't worked out here and perhaps isn't the best in a purportedly starting style, but go look up his 2016/17 instead of writing him off as crap perhaps? WhoScored.com if you can interpret it well, you're welcome- LJ clearly had worked with him and thought he could once again get a tune out of him. He could not.

Incidentally, I think Watkins needs shipping out and Moore? Not for me- wrong style for a start. Not proven, money that could be better spent elsewhere absolutely.

43 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Or perhaps he thought he was just too good to listen to the coaching staff, he just appeared uninterested.

5 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

LJ made some cryptic comments at the time about needing to be welcoming to players. I assumed he meant that the established players did not do that.

7 hours ago, chinapig said:

LJ made some cryptic comments at the time about needing to be welcoming to players. I assumed he meant that the established players did not do that.

Correct, why was that though ?

Many other loan players have been welcomed by the close knit group.

Was it their fault not accepting a new member into their ‘ gang ‘?  or was it the loanee’s inability to break into it ?

I believe that LJ was not too impressed  with them all and this may  have assisted in their passage out of Ashton Gate.

14 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Kent can play.

My perception of the problem is that he actually did not want to play here. Goodness knows why we loaned him in, but he is a talented lad.

To an extent the same with Leko - lad could play, but did not suit our system.

Would massively disagree with that, I thought Kent was one of the worst loanees we've had for a while, not quite Diony standard, but not far from it. Maybe he thought he was Billy Big-Bollox coming from Liverpool to little old Bristol City, and maybe that reflected with attitudes towards him in the dressing room and perhaps also his attitude towards coaching provided by former players who had not played at Liverpool's level, but playing wise I don't recall him contributing anything of note. Perhaps he's best suited to playing his football for a big fish in a small pond.

17 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Would massively disagree with that, I thought Kent was one of the worst loanees we've had for a while, not quite Diony standard, but not far from it. Maybe he thought he was Billy Big-Bollox coming from Liverpool to little old Bristol City, and maybe that reflected with attitudes towards him in the dressing room and perhaps also his attitude towards coaching provided by former players who had not played at Liverpool's level, but playing wise I don't recall him contributing anything of note. Perhaps he's best suited to playing his football for a big fish in a small pond.

Interesting that Liverpool apparently plan to sell him this summer for quite a large fee. So large that Gerrard thinks the only way that he will be back at Rangers next season would be on loan if Liverpool are unsuccessful in selling.

19 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Da big NO from me. Step backwards, no value in him long term, doesn't improve us. Can get better no doubt for the money they are likely to ask.

nixon seems adamant we are keen on him. I bloody hope not.

Can see this one happening - definitely don’t see it as a step forward if true.

After today’s news re Lloyd, certainly hope/expect City to be thinking better than this guy

On 14/05/2019 at 12:12, Major Isewater said:

Correct, why was that though ?

Many other loan players have been welcomed by the close knit group.

Was it their fault not accepting a new member into their ‘ gang ‘?  or was it the loanee’s inability to break into it ?

I believe that LJ was not too impressed  with them all and this may  have assisted in their passage out of Ashton Gate.

Interesting, listening to the Peter Crouch podcast recently the training ground one he was talking about how players that don't fit get ostracised, if they are not up to it on the training ground, if they are not performing on the pitch, if their personality isn't right it will never work. Footballers expect those around them to be perfect or at least as good as them - it's not a game for them it's there chance to have an impact on the world.

Basically like any competitive workplace, if everyone else thinks your the weak link they aren't exactly inclined to include you if your the reason they feel they aren't winning/getting better. If your not part of the solution your part of the problem essentially.

I don't know enough about Moore to know if he would be a good signing, but anyone criticising the Management for wanting a big striker as an alternative, should go back and watch the way Tottenham turned their Ajax tie around by bringing on Llorente. 

12 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I imagine Barnsley have just stuck another £2m on his fee after today`s news.

Let's just give them Watkins to make up the difference!  

In all seriousness Barnsley are the only team I could see taking him off our hands after his good season a couple of years ago.  A lesser amount of cash and Watkins could help make space for the extra club in the bag.  I wouldn't be against a move like this.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't know enough about Moore to know if he would be a good signing, but anyone criticising the Management for wanting a big striker as an alternative, should go back and watch the way Tottenham turned their Ajax tie around by bringing on Llorente. 

Forum history shows that you don't have to know anything about a player to feel confident enough to write him off before he has even signed, let alone played.

I shall pass some of the close season counting the number of times the word underwhelmed is used.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Forum history shows that you don't have to know anything about a player to feel confident enough to write him off before he has even signed, let alone played.

I shall pass some of the close season counting the number of times the word underwhelmed is used.

My personal favourite is "No thanks", with no explanation or reasoning. 

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

My personal favourite is "No thanks", with no explanation or reasoning. 

Yes, though the implied reasoning is usually that the player isn't famous or expensive enough or both.

Pukki would have got plenty of "No thanks" responses if we had signed him last summer for instance.

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yes, though the implied reasoning is usually that the player isn't famous or expensive enough or both.

Pukki would have got plenty of "No thanks" responses if we had signed him last summer for instance.

Good point that. Think McGoldrick another who would have had doubters.

Was thinking about this earlier- fee, price and quality don't always correlate. I understand when a club is in receipt of a big fee- Kelly, plus last summer- the big clamour is to spend big or can be.

I think it's about the right player rather than the most expensive player, if we can strengthen on free transfers- Olsson and Fer subject to age and injuries- 2 examples worth a look, that can free up budget for hopefully Kalas, Da Silva and Gayle.

That's one example of how to stretch a budget and make it work well! Instead of some £12m striker just because they're available.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Good point that. Think McGoldrick another who would have had doubters.

Was thinking about this earlier- fee, price and quality don't always correlate. I understand when a club is in receipt of a big fee- Kelly, plus last summer- the big clamour is to spend big or can be.

I think it's about the right player rather than the most expensive player, if we can strengthen on free transfers- Olsson and Fer subject to age and injuries- 2 examples worth a look, that can free up budget for hopefully Kalas, Da Silva and Gayle.

That's one example of how to stretch a budget and make it work well! Instead of some £12m striker just because they're available.

Last summer’s comments on McGoldrick were quite balanced.  I was surprised.

If we’re planning on sticking with one up top I think Moore would actually be a decent signing as long as the price is right. Him and Fam sharing that role would keep them both fresh and on their toes. What we’d need though is to make sure we’ve got high quality attacking players supporting them and supplying crosses to them, I think he’d have a field day with Eliasson’s crossing. 

I’ve seen people calling him a lower league lump but I think that’s a bit harsh, from what I’ve seen he’s just as quick as Fam and has a better touch we just need to improve our goal threat from our other attackers and midfielders.

I remember people being underwhelmed by the signings of Aaron Wibraham , Marvin Elliott and best of all Norman Hunter. I remember when we signed Big Norm people saying "what do we want that 'has been' for ? " and he was called a clogger etc.

What 3 great signings they all turned out to be.

10 hours ago, Ohbasso said:

If we’re planning on sticking with one up top I think Moore would actually be a decent signing as long as the price is right. Him and Fam sharing that role would keep them both fresh and on their toes. What we’d need though is to make sure we’ve got high quality attacking players supporting them and supplying crosses to them, I think he’d have a field day with Eliasson’s crossing. 

I’ve seen people calling him a lower league lump but I think that’s a bit harsh, from what I’ve seen he’s just as quick as Fam and has a better touch we just need to improve our goal threat from our other attackers and midfielders.

‘ Just as quick as Fam’ ?  Famara has a number of assets, pace is not one of them.

39 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

‘ Just as quick as Fam’ ?  Famara has a number of assets, pace is not one of them.

I think you’ve missed the point a bit here. In layman’s terms I’m saying he can do the same job as Fam if we want to continue playing one up front but what we need is to surround the centre forward with attacking players to help him and break past him.

On 14/05/2019 at 04:32, chinapig said:

If there was a problem with the established - generally thought to be the L1 winning lot - players welcoming newcomers, then this would've been with every new player since promotion. Clearly not the case.

The incoming players need to play their part in the "welcoming" too, ie not be a t*** or Billy big b*******. It's a two way street. 

Archived