IGNORED

Alan Skirton RIP

Jerseybean

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Strong willed, strong runner and strong in tackles against defenders who played it hard. Thanks Alan.

In my mind Skirton used to run through defenders!

My recollection is of his knocking the ball past the full back and getting to the byeline and hitting a cross on the 6 yard line for Galley to collect - usually along with the keeper!

Happy days.

6 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yes, he had a powerful shot and could head a ball too. When I think of him what comes to mind is successive home wins over Norwich and Fulham when we won 4-0 and 6-0. I think Alan scored in both.

What also trips off the tongue is my favourite City attack of Skirton -Garland -Galley -Kellard -Sharpe.

Thanks for the memories Alan.

Left and right wing, inside right and inside left and a centre forward.

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

In my mind Skirton used to run through defenders!

My recollection is of his knocking the ball past the full back and getting to the byeline and hitting a cross on the 6 yard line for Galley to collect - usually along with the keeper!

Happy days.

Yes, exactly! Would hit the ball into the open space behind the defender, beat him for speed, and whip over a cross. No frills, but very exciting and effective.

46 minutes ago, Final 3 Star said:

Yes, exactly! Would hit the ball into the open space behind the defender, beat him for speed, and whip over a cross. No frills, but very exciting and effective.

Direct style of wing play I think would best describe it.

19 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Sad news. 

The first time I remember seeing him play was around 1968 against us for Blackpool at AG - a game they won (I think) 2-4. He tore us apart that day, playing on the lest wing even though he was predominantly right footed. Unusually for those days, that game was recorded for TV. I was amazed and delighted when we signed him the following season. 

He was fast and strong although I’d never describe him as “tricky” but he was a good signing for us. He’d made a name for himself playing for Arsenal so he had a good pedigree and had a swagger in the way he played. 

He formed a key part of one of my most memorable and favourite City teams 

Rest peacefully Alan. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. 

After the game a group of us sprogs watched the large angry crowd gathered outside the old Grandstand belting out "Sack the Board !" and "Ford must go !"

You're right, Skirton played a blinder and, I think, got two of Blackpool's goals.

I think this was the game that inspired the board to get him on our books.

Scored for us against Tottenham in the League Cup semi final at Ashton Gate.

RIP Alan.

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

After the game a group of us sprogs watched the large angry crowd gathered outside the old Grandstand belting out "Sack the Board !" and "Ford must go !"

You're right, Skirton played a blinder and, I think, got two of Blackpool's goals.

I think this was the game that inspired the board to get him on our books.

Scored for us against Tottenham in the League Cup semi final at Ashton Gate.

RIP Alan.

I well remember the angry mob behind the Grandstand and the "Ford must Go" chants - now that you've reminded about it!

7 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

7 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Biggest bloke I've ever seen on the wing but he could shift and defenders just slid off him. Powerful bloke. Very rarely didn't get to the byeline and put a cross over.

R.I.P Mr Skirton

Yep both the above my memory too. My dad used to take me in the East End, I can vividly see Alan Skirton marauding down the right wing towards us and whipping a cross over.

RIP great player. 

Here is the link to the City v Blackpool match, played on 16 September 1967, to which I referred earlier in this thread. It's 42 minutes of highlights back before the world had any colour in it and fifty shades of grey was all you could see on your TV. As I remembered, Skirton had a great game, scoring two (16 and 37 minutes in the recording) and 'assisting' in another.

Watching it is good fun! See how many men turned up on the terraces wearing ties! I didn't see any women in the crowd - even though I, of course, looked very closely. The ball must have been red hot back then because neither goalkeeper kept it in their hands for more than a couple of seconds before kicking or throwing it out. Players really needed to stab an opponent to warrant being booked. Kicking the ball away would cause the referee to have a 'quiet word' with the offender whereas pushing an opponent intentionally and angrily to the floor (a straight red card offence today) would prompt the ref to have a 'strong word'.

Some take aways. Hugh McIlmoyle was as ordinary as I remember him - particularly on the floor; Jimmy Armfield was indeed a very good full back; Gordon Milne, whom Blackpool signed from Liverpool, was different class; the number 11 on the back of Lou Peters' shirt was every bit as widely spaced as ever I recalled  and I've no idea why; and the crowd noise was not as constant as us old timers would have you believe! And finally, Alan Skirton - the subject of this thread - was a top, top player and I am privileged to have seen him play for Bristol City.

I have a copy of the 4-2 defeat at home by Blackpool when Alan was playing for Blackpool.

One of my memories of mine(I THINK) was when we were playing away at one of the "orrible" grounds

Wrexham/Chester Brentford QPR?

One of the opposition pulled Skirtons shirt

you  could really grab hold of those cotton shirts in the 1960's

Skirton was stopped in his tracks

Skirton took his shirt off and threw it at the player

as if to say

you want it

have it

and Skirton got sent off

Archived