Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

RedRobin96

Chris Hughton - Sacked (BBC)

1 minute ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Wonder if LJ would be tempted if they came calling? Would be the perfect step up imo. I’d like to think he’d give us 1 more year tho.

Would it really be a step up though? Must be one of the favourites for relegation next year with a fairly average squad even for the Championship. 

watched them a few times recently and they looked awful. Were gonna be dead certs for relegation if they kept him i feel. Good decision.

• Chicken 1

9 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Wonder if LJ would be tempted if they came calling? Would be the perfect step up imo. I’d like to think he’d give us 1 more year tho.

Premiership club? Yeah he'd be gone in a shot. Don't think they would even consider him though, as he's too inconsistant (or streaky as some would say).

They'll go for a bigger name, possibly even the foreign route, because as others have said, they will be one of the favourites to go down next season. 

3 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Would anyone have Hughton as BCFC manager over Johnson? 

Nope, but I'd have him on the coaching team alongside LJ, if of course Lee approved.  Invaluable experience and knows what it takes to win promotion.

If Lee left to join Brighton, I'd certainly take Chris as Lee's replacement.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Premiership club? Yeah he'd be gone in a shot. Don't think they would even consider him though, as he's too inconsistant (or streaky as some would say).

They'll go for a bigger name, possibly even the foreign route, because as others have said, they will be one of the favourites to go down next season. 

Just thinking random foreign names, and imagine the shock if they appointed Jose Mourhino.

I'd love it if one of the so-called big name managers took on a smaller job, with lower budget etc.

20 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Yes, I think you'd be mad to not take someone with two promotions out of this league in the last 10 years. Yes the Newcastle one was expected, but the Brighton one was impressive.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Yes, I think you'd be mad to not take someone with two promotions out of this league in the last 10 years. Yes the Newcastle one was expected, but the Brighton one was impressive.

He also nearly took Birmingham straight back up when in disarray in 2011/12. Solid body of work over his career, reasonable Europa League campaign too.

Some quite heavy investment at Brighton too though- would we give him the same- would he take us up on LJ's budget?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

28 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Would it really be a step up though? Must be one of the favourites for relegation next year with a fairly average squad even for the Championship. 

Definite step up but I can't imagine they would come calling for the reasons you cite - they will be nailed on for relegation next season so should seek someone with previous of keeping a team up by hook or by crook.

20 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

I would, in theory. Two Championship promotions on his CV. In reality though, I certainly wouldn't want the upheaval of replacing our current head coach who is doing a fine job himself.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Definitely. Plus he has kept them up for 2 seasons with a crap squad by Prem standards

Unbelievable, year upon year of progress followed by one dodgy but by no means disastrous season, GONE. So clinical and harsh.

I admire them, the way they have built their club and the fans respecting Man City yesterday but this strikes me as a Charlton/Curbishley moment.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

Absolute madness! I'd be fuming if I were a Brighton fan.

A lot of them aren't though. They appreciate what he has done but feel it's the right time.

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Unbelievable, year upon year of progress followed by one dodgy but by no means disastrous season, GONE. So clinical and harsh.

I admire them, the way they have built their club and the fans respecting Man City yesterday but this strikes me as a Charlton/Curbishley moment.

Bang on.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Graeme Potter early favourite at 1/8 on . 

Would be a good move for him- Swansea seem to be in asset stripping mode and he'll have some money to spend at Brighton.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Or perhaps alternatively, a Watford moment- look how often they have changed managers and even in the PL? You only have to get it wrong once though...

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He also nearly took Birmingham straight back up when in disarray in 2011/12. Solid body of work, reasonable Europa League campaign too.

Some quite heavy investment at Brighton too though- would we give him the same- would he take us up on LJ's budget?

Yes definitely a very good manager at this level. Was his budget at Brighton that big when they went up? Think they only paid fees for Duffy and Murray that year!

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We are all quick to judge Brighton’s decision but we know nothing about the situation other than the results.

On results, they declined badly in all metrics post Christmas, seemingly performances too.

Either they were significantly over performing until say early January, or they got into a slump that Hughton couldn't turn around.

Forgot about them reaching the FA Cup semi final- harsh decision!

He's done well for the club, but they were bottom of the league for shots attempted, shots on target and expected goals from open play. 19th in the table for shots in the box and overall expected goals and their form was awful in 2019, I can see why they've made the decision. I think their chairman is big on his statistics too(?). Though I agree you can't expect him to do much more than keeping Brighton up and getting them to an FA cup semi with the budget he would've had available. Considering the statistics maybe they decided to part company while Houghton's era is still thought of as a successful one. 

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Could equally be a Southampton/Adkins moment. Nobody could believe it when they sacked him, but Pochettino took them to the next level!

I think Hughton is a good manager, but perhaps he had taken them as far as he could. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Yes definitely a very good manager at this level. Was his budget at Brighton that big when they went up? Think they only paid fees for Duffy and Murray that year!

Wage bill...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00081077/filing-history

Think promotion bonuses were £9.1m but a decent rise despite this! Courtesy of Kieran Maguire, 2016/17 wage bills. Believe that'd have been inclusive of promotion bonuses.

Judge for yourself?

Dde4yq3VAAAY_mU.jpg

They did well, but it was no shoestring- no miracle.

Always puzzles me why fans get annoyed at other teams sackings.  Style of football is now more important than ever. Fans don’t want to watch poor football once progression stops.  Graham Potter will go in and improve their style. Maybe he will improve results, maybe he won’t but that’s the gamble.

Im glad Hughton has been sacked as it’s one fewer boring Premier League team to watch 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

'Always puzzles me why fans get annoyed at other teams sackings.  Style of football is now more important than ever. Fans don’t want to watch poor football once progression stops.  Graham Potter will go in and improve their style. Maybe he will improve results, maybe he won’t but that’s the gamble.

Im glad Hughton has been sacked as it’s one fewer boring Premier League team to watch 

If I was Brighton Chairman in some weird hypothetical I would be disappointed to see Brighton's football. 

Some fans don't care what they watch but many do. I would rather watch Bournemouth in a slump of form than Brightons low block, attritional counter attacking football winning or losing. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

imagine the shock if they appointed Jose Mourhino.

Who... Brighton or City?? 👀😂😂😂

Not sure why so much love for Chris Hughton on here. Last season Brighton badly nosedived and could easily have been relegated. Exactly the same thing this season....only saved by woeful teams below them.

Brighton fans are also getting peed off at the negative, 'Let's not lose' mentality of Hughton. In the Prem he has become the epitome of the negative manager.

Yes I would take him to get us out of this league but I would not want him much longer at AG

Swansea fans not too happy at Graham Potters odds and the fact that Jim White on Talk Crap just mentioned his 'sources' saying Potter is the man Brighton want.

Forgot to add...I thought Hughton would do the honorable thing and walk at the end of this season in any case.

41 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If I was Brighton Chairman in some weird hypothetical I would be disappointed to see Brighton's football. 

Some fans don't care what they watch but many do. I would rather watch Bournemouth in a slump of form than Brightons low block, attritional counter attacking football winning or losing. 

Thought admittedly based on MOTD mainly, but first half of the season, maybe until early-mid January they were reasonably positive- certainly for a Hughton side! Since Christmas though, or maybe late January onwards, really poor football.

Had a quick browse of Brighton's message board. The fans as a whole seem surprised and appreciative of what Hughton has done but not against the decision. To be honest, Brighton will have looked at Huddersfield's terrible second half of last season and what happened this season when they did not change manager. Bar a massive turnaround, I think they would have been relegation favourites next year.

Hughton is a good manager though and I'm sure he'll get a job elsewhere. Middlesboro would be where I would put my money. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Absolute madness! I'd be fuming if I were a Brighton fan.

My head office is in Brighton and plenty of season ticket holders in the building at the Amex and I can tell you they are not fuming...football has been dire and a change was needed to avoid another bigger struggle next season.

1 hour ago, man in the middle said:

Yes, I would, a top manager with a track record.  

• Like 2

Whether or not it’s a good or bad decision to sack him, it’s a good life if you’re a Premier League / Championship manager. Excellent salary for a couple of years then the sack with a big pay off. Out of full time work for a few months, with a bit of punditry on TV, then the cycle is repeated. 

It's a harsh decision, but I can see why he was sacked. Their football has been dire, and the results since Christmas have been poor enough to guarantee relegation if there weren't three other teams that were worse than them.

Hughton will bounce back, though! Hopefully he goes somewhere other than the Championship.

Someone mentioned Middlesbrough- could definitely see him there. His football isn't as bad as Pulis for one.

West Brom maybe? They need to get up and need it badly because they may well have mortgaged against Parachute Payments for 2019/20 and 2nd half of 2018/19- no pressure then. Maybe no bad thing if they stay down. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Forgot to add...I thought Hughton would do the honorable thing and walk at the end of this season in any case.

Why when he can get a good pay off?

Not surprising momentum is huge in football and despite staying up it didn't bode well for next season