IGNORED

Chris Hughton - Sacked (BBC)

RedRobin96

He's done well for the club, but they were bottom of the league for shots attempted, shots on target and expected goals from open play. 19th in the table for shots in the box and overall expected goals and their form was awful in 2019, I can see why they've made the decision. I think their chairman is big on his statistics too(?). Though I agree you can't expect him to do much more than keeping Brighton up and getting them to an FA cup semi with the budget he would've had available. Considering the statistics maybe they decided to part company while Houghton's era is still thought of as a successful one. 

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Unbelievable, year upon year of progress followed by one dodgy but by no means disastrous season, GONE. So clinical and harsh.

I admire them, the way they have built their club and the fans respecting Man City yesterday but this strikes me as a Charlton/Curbishley moment.

Could equally be a Southampton/Adkins moment. Nobody could believe it when they sacked him, but Pochettino took them to the next level!

I think Hughton is a good manager, but perhaps he had taken them as far as he could. 

7 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Yes definitely a very good manager at this level. Was his budget at Brighton that big when they went up? Think they only paid fees for Duffy and Murray that year!

Wage bill...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00081077/filing-history

Think promotion bonuses were £9.1m but a decent rise despite this! Courtesy of Kieran Maguire, 2016/17 wage bills. Believe that'd have been inclusive of promotion bonuses.

Judge for yourself?

Dde4yq3VAAAY_mU.jpg

They did well, but it was no shoestring- no miracle.

Always puzzles me why fans get annoyed at other teams sackings.  Style of football is now more important than ever. Fans don’t want to watch poor football once progression stops.  Graham Potter will go in and improve their style. Maybe he will improve results, maybe he won’t but that’s the gamble.

Im glad Hughton has been sacked as it’s one fewer boring Premier League team to watch 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

'Always puzzles me why fans get annoyed at other teams sackings.  Style of football is now more important than ever. Fans don’t want to watch poor football once progression stops.  Graham Potter will go in and improve their style. Maybe he will improve results, maybe he won’t but that’s the gamble.

Im glad Hughton has been sacked as it’s one fewer boring Premier League team to watch 

If I was Brighton Chairman in some weird hypothetical I would be disappointed to see Brighton's football. 

Some fans don't care what they watch but many do. I would rather watch Bournemouth in a slump of form than Brightons low block, attritional counter attacking football winning or losing. 

Not sure why so much love for Chris Hughton on here. Last season Brighton badly nosedived and could easily have been relegated. Exactly the same thing this season....only saved by woeful teams below them.

Brighton fans are also getting peed off at the negative, 'Let's not lose' mentality of Hughton. In the Prem he has become the epitome of the negative manager.

Yes I would take him to get us out of this league but I would not want him much longer at AG

Swansea fans not too happy at Graham Potters odds and the fact that Jim White on Talk Crap just mentioned his 'sources' saying Potter is the man Brighton want.

41 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If I was Brighton Chairman in some weird hypothetical I would be disappointed to see Brighton's football. 

Some fans don't care what they watch but many do. I would rather watch Bournemouth in a slump of form than Brightons low block, attritional counter attacking football winning or losing. 

Thought admittedly based on MOTD mainly, but first half of the season, maybe until early-mid January they were reasonably positive- certainly for a Hughton side! Since Christmas though, or maybe late January onwards, really poor football.

Had a quick browse of Brighton's message board. The fans as a whole seem surprised and appreciative of what Hughton has done but not against the decision. To be honest, Brighton will have looked at Huddersfield's terrible second half of last season and what happened this season when they did not change manager. Bar a massive turnaround, I think they would have been relegation favourites next year.

Hughton is a good manager though and I'm sure he'll get a job elsewhere. Middlesboro would be where I would put my money. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Absolute madness! I'd be fuming if I were a Brighton fan.

My head office is in Brighton and plenty of season ticket holders in the building at the Amex and I can tell you they are not fuming...football has been dire and a change was needed to avoid another bigger struggle next season.

Whether or not it’s a good or bad decision to sack him, it’s a good life if you’re a Premier League / Championship manager. Excellent salary for a couple of years then the sack with a big pay off. Out of full time work for a few months, with a bit of punditry on TV, then the cycle is repeated. 

It's a harsh decision, but I can see why he was sacked. Their football has been dire, and the results since Christmas have been poor enough to guarantee relegation if there weren't three other teams that were worse than them.

Hughton will bounce back, though! Hopefully he goes somewhere other than the Championship.

Someone mentioned Middlesbrough- could definitely see him there. His football isn't as bad as Pulis for one.

West Brom maybe? They need to get up and need it badly because they may well have mortgaged against Parachute Payments for 2019/20 and 2nd half of 2018/19- no pressure then. Maybe no bad thing if they stay down. :laugh:

37 minutes ago, cityboy said:

Cardiff could do worse than getting rid of Warnock and bringing Hughton in tbh

They could do better still, and keep Warnock 

3 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Wonder if LJ would be tempted if they came calling? Would be the perfect step up imo. I’d like to think he’d give us 1 more year tho.

If LJ was to be offered I would like to think we would go for Hughton. 

3 hours ago, Red7 said:

Disgusting decision, in my book, after what he's done for the club.

Brighton forum 75% of them reckon the club have made the right choice. Interestingly had quite a few people on here saying LJ's taken us as far as he can (personally don't agree) but could it not be the case for Brighton that Hughton has taken them as far as he can? Sky Sports going over his signings and they haven't exactly been great in the last year or two, something like 3 strikers signed and they've scored 3 goals between them.

Haha. Disgusting is it @Red7 ? What would you have done? Just kept him playing defensive dire football and finishing near the bottom? 

Their board, and seemingly fans, want more and to see if they can push on. They’ve decided that Hughton has taken them as far as he can. Hardly ‘disgusting’ to want to improve! 

50 minutes ago, hodge said:

Benitez would be interesting, his deal with Newcastle expires this summer.

Now there's a manager who should be in a higher position than either club with respect to them both- he wants Newcastle to invest and invest well, try to realise their undoubted potential and he's got as good a chance as any at unlocking it...but they won't while they remain under Mike Ashley with his mindset at this time.

Valencia return if they make top 4 would be a good bet for him- and them IMO. Or Atletico if Simeone goes elsewhere, pretty strong squad, decent age profile- would play football a bit more positive than Simeone too. Think he was a bit hard done by not to be kept on at Chelsea tbh even though his appointment was only interim. Lyon maybe, though wage budget maybe an issue.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Now there's a manager who should be in a higher position than either club with respect to them both- he wants Newcastle to invest and invest well, try to realise their undoubted potential and he's got as good a chance as any at unlocking it...but they won't while they remain under Mike Ashley with his mindset at this time.

Valencia return if they make top 4 would be a good bet for him- and them IMO. Or Atletico if Simeone goes elsewhere, pretty strong squad, decent age profile- would play football a bit more positive than Simeone too. Think he was a bit hard done by not to be kept on at Chelsea tbh even though his appointment was only interim. Lyon maybe, though wage budget maybe an issue.

Seems like a pretty perfect replacement for Simeone if/when he leaves Atleti

45 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Seems like a pretty perfect replacement for Simeone if/when he leaves Atleti

Think so! Simeone is developing their style a bit this season, as I guess he has to but Benitez would do that quicker.

Alternatively he would bring structure to PSG, he would bring some short term stability to Bayern- while perhaps being given license to rebuild them, or Juventus ie this version, 2018/19 vintage with more attacking but less stellar midfield players, I feel he would get the best of them in Europe which Allegri does not- and I think Allegri a good manager as it goes. AC Milan, he'd get them going again.

Could even make a case for him at any of Arsenal, Chelsea or Man United, fairly new though their managers are. Nuts that he's at Newcastle all told!

Archived