IGNORED

Callum O'Dowda (Merged)

Coppello

If he does join the training camp and is now miraculously fit, does this spell the end of his time at City?

He's had quite a strange spell at City and hasn't really pushed on from when he first joined. He's got all of the attributes to be a top player but I'm not sure if it's injuries, desire or confidence which has held him back. 

Whilst I think there is a player in there I was concerned about the comments our HC made regarding his mental resilience when returning from injury.

Whether those comments are accurate or not I don't know.

I do think Calum is hugely inconsistent and is now at an age where that should, to a degree, be starting to resolve itself.

My guess is that with his contract situation seemingly not being resolved it would appear unlikely that he will be here next season. 

1 minute ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Well, we didn't go up so how do you know that?

We'll never know now, but indeed

How do we know he couldn't have made the difference at Hull- either as a starter or off the bench- or more importantly v Reading at home. Perhaps off the bench to run at Aston Villa a bit at 0-0 say 55 mins or a half time sub, may be worth a point.

As his goal at Norwich showed, he isn't consistent but he has an ability to conjure something out of nothing- if he could've got back to some earlier times the defensive side of his game- could also have helped with our stability.

30 minutes ago, Sarumred said:

Lets get rid and bring in £3m - £4m. He hasn't been missed in the later stages of the season.

Most will know, I'm not his biggest fan, but that’s because I think some have gone OTT on his ability (all imho).  He is a good player, should play most games, but his contribution is inconsistent.

I do think we missed him in the run-in.  His running with the ball is one thing he has there nobody else has in our squad.

I would be very surprised is he’s here come August 8th.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Super said:

You could see LJ wasn't happy with him regarding his injury. Prob best for all involved if he moves on to another Championship club.

I wonder how much of that was down to Callum not signing a contract extension?

Maybe a bit of an empasse 

Worth remembering this is the Republic of Ireland training squad. 

The standard is low. 

A partially fit Championship player should be expected to be included. 

I wouldn’t want a partially fit (mentally or physically) player being relied upon for a play off push...

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I would think that value will be a stretch given he only has one year left and was hardly a regular in his time here.

Exactly the same was said about Bryan and Reid. If there is one thing Ashton has been good at it's getting a good price for players we sell.

O'Dowda was regular enough outside of periods of injury to attract attention for sure.

On Sunday  at Hull, I thought it strange that he didn't wasnt interacting with the players before the game. I got in the ground really early and the players were out just having a walk about, the squad were in one group and he was on his own on the other side of the pitch just not looking at all Interested,  in fact I would go on to say he wasnt happy to be there. 

I think O’Dowda will be sold this summer, and we’ll regret it in a similar way we regret selling Ayling on the cheap. 

COD’s a good pro with his best years ahead of him. He will be a top-end Championship/low to mid-Prem player soon. 

1 hour ago, tin said:

I think O’Dowda will be sold this summer, and we’ll regret it in a similar way we regret selling Ayling on the cheap. 

COD’s a good pro with his best years ahead of him. He will be a top-end Championship/low to mid-Prem player soon. 

Personally, I think Callum will regret it too.  I think he will be going a season too early.  He will have more suitors on the back of another season here...but I believe his Agent likes to keep busy!!

International teams don't worry so much about calling up players who are not quite 100%, all they need is to get them to play a game or two and then not worry about how they are after. 

Have to say I feel sorry for Max, missing out on a call up to Kieran O'Hara, on loan at Macclesfield seemingly because he's a Man Utd youngster and bad timing with Travers debut for Bournemouth on the weekend.

It is really interesting the comments made by LJ about COD announcing he was unfit to play. Just before we signed him from Oxford their fans were angry that he pulled out of games with a mystery illness and the club were struggling to get him to see their doctor.

The implication was that COD manufactures his next transfer

3 hours ago, stevep38 said:

On Sunday  at Hull, I thought it strange that he didn't wasnt interacting with the players before the game. I got in the ground really early and the players were out just having a walk about, the squad were in one group and he was on his own on the other side of the pitch just not looking at all Interested,  in fact I would go on to say he wasnt happy to be there. 

Maybe he was just having a bit of a think about his nasty injury up there last season.

1 hour ago, Busterrimes said:

It is really interesting the comments made by LJ about COD announcing he was unfit to play. Just before we signed him from Oxford their fans were angry that he pulled out of games with a mystery illness and the club were struggling to get him to see their doctor.

Yes, been reading a few comments along those lines from Oxford fans on Twitter today. His Dad is his agent and likes to wield his influence, apparently. 

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Yes, been reading a few comments along those lines from Oxford fans on Twitter today. His Dad is his agent and likes to wield his influence, apparently. 

Not sure he’s his agent, but very influential 

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure he’s his agent, but very influential 

His Dad, Brendan, was definitely his agent a few years ago when Derby tried to sign Callum .... they put Derby off by asking for way too much in wages - not sure if his Dad is still his agent though ...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

His Dad, Brendan, was definitely his agent a few years ago when Derby tried to sign Callum .... they put Derby off by asking for way too much in wages - not sure if his Dad is still his agent though ...

I might be wrong

14 hours ago, tin said:

No matter how good a player is, if they’re heading into the final year of their deal and refusing to sign a new contract you have to sell them, be crazy not to.

14 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

Agent (dad apparently) in his ear no doubt. If he is a bad apple then lets try to make a profit on transfer fee and wages paid out over the past 3 years so I think we would need maybe  £3 m to generate any profit ?

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Agent (dad apparently) in his ear no doubt. If he is a bad apple then lets try to make a profit on transfer fee and wages paid out over the past 3 years so I think we would need maybe  £3 m to generate any profit ?

Also part of this stable

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/key-sports-management-ltd-/beraterfirma/berater/344

http://www.keysports.co.uk/

Archived