IGNORED

Callum O'Dowda (Merged)

Coppello

I started reading OTIB when COD joined your team. I have very much enjoyed your banter, passion and insight - I thank you all!

As an Oxfordian I was interested to see how he developed at a higher level. It had been great to watch a local lad, with obvious talent, (literally) grow and become an increasingly important asset to his home club. So I write to ask you a question and this concerns COD's decision making on and off the pitch.

I believe that he should have stayed at Oxford for one, maybe even two more seasons. He left, of course, at the same time as Kemar Roofe who is two years his senior and therefore two years more experienced. It is my submission that COD could have matured in his play, developed leadership skills and become, to use a phrase I've seen on the forum recently, a big fish in a small pond. I think he could have impacted hugely on Oxford's performance in League 1 and maybe opened up other transfer possibilities as well as BCFC (no offence meant!).

Of course life is full of "ifs", "buts" and "maybes" but I would argue that he may have made better decisions on the pitch, specifically the tackle at Hull, had he grown more.....organically.

I don't criticise ambition or desire but it kind of feels like groundhog day and, as his departure looks imminent, I'd like to hear what you guys and gals think.

8 hours ago, Casualobserver said:

I started reading OTIB when COD joined your team. I have very much enjoyed your banter, passion and insight - I thank you all!

As an Oxfordian I was interested to see how he developed at a higher level. It had been great to watch a local lad, with obvious talent, (literally) grow and become an increasingly important asset to his home club. So I write to ask you a question and this concerns COD's decision making on and off the pitch.

I believe that he should have stayed at Oxford for one, maybe even two more seasons. He left, of course, at the same time as Kemar Roofe who is two years his senior and therefore two years more experienced. It is my submission that COD could have matured in his play, developed leadership skills and become, to use a phrase I've seen on the forum recently, a big fish in a small pond. I think he could have impacted hugely on Oxford's performance in League 1 and maybe opened up other transfer possibilities as well as BCFC (no offence meant!).

Of course life is full of "ifs", "buts" and "maybes" but I would argue that he may have made better decisions on the pitch, specifically the tackle at Hull, had he grown more.....organically.

I don't criticise ambition or desire but it kind of feels like groundhog day and, as his departure looks imminent, I'd like to hear what you guys and gals think.

Sounds like deja vu.  Think he would be better off with another season here, and open up bigger and better opportunities next season.

Dad is not his agent (but in his ear, telling him he’s better than he is....and telling his agent he is too).

Brendan O’Dowda does not appear on any list of FA registered intermediaries....Key Sports Mgmt do, but he does not appear on their list either.  He is not an agent by that reckoning.  He may advise his son, but not in any official capacity.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/intermediaries/fa-registered-intermediaries-list

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sounds like deja vu.  Think he would be better off with another season here, and open up bigger and better opportunities next season.

Dad is not his agent (but in his ear, telling him he’s better than he is....and telling his agent he is too).

Brendan O’Dowda does not appear on any list of FA registered intermediaries....Key Sports Mgmt do, but he does not appear on their list either.  He is not an agent by that reckoning.  He may advise his son, but not in any official capacity.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/intermediaries/fa-registered-intermediaries-list

Thanks Dave I picked up the dad comment earlier in the thread so lazy on my part. His dad should be a positive influence but maybe both are rushing things. If we recover our outlay good luck to him but I dont feel we will miss him.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Thanks Dave I picked up the dad comment earlier in the thread so lazy on my part. His dad should be a positive influence but maybe both are rushing things. If we recover our outlay good luck to him but I dont feel we will miss him.

I think we will more than recover our outlay.....£1.2m + £0.4k incentives, but 30% sell-on profit clause.

4 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Well, Zach Clough listened to his Dad and it worked a treat for him.

8 hours ago, Casualobserver said:

I guess oxford, like us, and nearly every other club in the world have to accept that if a plAyer has the chance to earn more money by moving on, then they will take it. As for odowda, yes he’s talented but apart from a spell last season before his injury, has never really put a run of games together where you sit back and think yes, hes going to be the next big thing.

On 07/05/2019 at 17:20, tin said:

I think O’Dowda will be sold this summer, and we’ll regret it in a similar way we regret selling Ayling on the cheap. 

COD’s a good pro with his best years ahead of him. He will be a top-end Championship/low to mid-Prem player soon. 

He could go on to be a very good player, but if he doesn't want to be here (which seems pretty obvious), then frankly he can do one. We just have to get the best deal we can for ourselves.

I really don't see how we can regret selling a player who wants out, regardless of what he does in the future and whoever it is for.

Some players are fearless - they put themselves “in harm’s way” to block shots or to tackle onrushing players. They are the type who play through pain and are selected even when they’re not 100% fit. They invariably become firm fan favourites and epitomise the effort and commitment demanded of them by their managers. They are “first name on the team sheet” type of players. 

None of the above applies to Callum O’Dowda. 

He’s a really nice guy, intelligent, speaks well,  has a lot of skill and stamina and, on his day, will cause the opposition a lot of problems. The problem is, those days are far too infrequent. 

Callum could and should have played for us many more times but recovery from injury seems to take him longer than many other players.  I don’t think that he understands the concept of playing through pain. I really think that he’s possibly been cosseted by his parents as he’s grown up.

I have two boys who  are  contemporaries of Callum and whilst they often ask me for advice, I never tell them what to do; I leave them to make their own decisions and we all live with the consequences.

There was an interesting documentary (I think called Phenoms) on Sky sometime last year which focussed upon the careers of three young footballers, one of which was Callum. Watching it and the interviews with his dad, I felt that he played too prominent a role in his son’s life. I suspect that his departure from Oxford and soon to be (I’m sure) from AG evidences this. 

Its disappointing that we haven’t seen more of Callum but after he leaves us, in years to come he’ll regret it more than us. He will forsake the chance to play a part in the rise of a fast moving club to chase the King’s Shilling. That won’t be in the Prem because he’s not good enough (yet) so it’ll be to another promotion candidate in the Championship or abroad.

Moving may make him more well off but not better off. My advice to him would be to start to take control of his own career. 

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Some players are fearless - they put themselves “in harm’s way” to block shots or to tackle onrushing players. They are the type who play through pain and are selected even when they’re not 100% fit. They invariably become firm fan favourites and epitomise the effort and commitment demanded of them by their managers. They are “first name on the team sheet” type of players. 

None of the above applies to Callum O’Dowda. 

He’s a really nice guy, intelligent, speaks well,  has a lot of skill and stamina and, on his day, will cause the opposition a lot of problems. The problem is, those days are far too infrequent. 

Callum could and should have played for us many more times but recovery from injury seems to take him longer than many other players.  I don’t think that he understands the concept of playing through pain. I really think that he’s possibly been cosseted by his parents as he’s grown up.

I have two boys who  are  contemporaries of Callum and whilst they often ask me for advice, I never tell them what to do; I leave them to make their own decisions and we all live with the consequences.

There was an interesting documentary (I think called Phenoms) on Sky sometime last year which focussed upon the careers of three young footballers, one of which was Callum. Watching it and the interviews with his dad, I felt that he played too prominent a role in his son’s life. I suspect that his departure from Oxford and soon to be (I’m sure) from AG evidences this. 

Its disappointing that we haven’t seen more of Callum but after he leaves us, in years to come he’ll regret it more than us. He will forsake the chance to play a part in the rise of a fast moving club to chase the King’s Shilling. That won’t be in the Prem because he’s not good enough (yet) so it’ll be to another promotion candidate in the Championship or abroad.

Moving may make him more well off but not better off. My advice to him would be to start to take control of his own career. 

I’d forgotten that he was in Phenoms....I only saw the one with Josh Sims, Southampton, who was coming back from a bad injury.  Guy seemed to have a really good attitude.  Went on loan to Reading earlier this season, didn’t do great, but ended up getting back into Southampton’s squad.

I could see O’Dowda going to Leeds or Forest, and playing significantly less than here and going backwards.

On 07/05/2019 at 16:26, bengalcub said:

For me a very average player who for sum reason seems to have ideas of grandure think his agent had something lined up a while ago , cash in get rid we only want players who want to be here no time for bigtime charlies. 

One of the most overrated players at City, I don’t know what some people get so excited about. I’ve seen some good wingers at Ashton Gate over the years and O’Dowda ain’t one of them. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d forgotten that he was in Phenoms....I only saw the one with Josh Sims, Southampton, who was coming back from a bad injury.  Guy seemed to have a really good attitude.  Went on loan to Reading earlier this season, didn’t do great, but ended up getting back into Southampton’s squad.

I could see O’Dowda going to Leeds or Forest, and playing significantly less than here and going backwards.

Phenoms S1, Ep5

8 Jun. 2018

The Creators

With the World Cup approaching, five wingers and attacking midfielders must navigate the high expectations of substantial money transfers on their journeys to making their national team. Featuring Ousmane Dembélé of France, Orbelín Pineda of Mexico, Oliver Burke of Scotland, Callum O'Dowda of Ireland, and Moses Simon of Nigeria.

I like COD but if we had a team of his qualities we would get relegated and that for me is enough to say he isn't integral. If he doesn't want to commit to us then we have to circulate his name but I will be very surprised if he ends up at a club that finishes above 8th.

54 minutes ago, swanker said:

One of the most overrated players at City, I don’t know what some people get so excited about. I’ve seen some good wingers at Ashton Gate over the years and O’Dowda ain’t one of them. 

I would agree with this. His goal and assist record speaks volume. His progress with us has been extremely short. I would dare say his best game for us was his debut against Wigan 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

We have to give him credit for the two spectacular goals he scored this season. 

It feels inevitable though that he's off.

If that is what you see as spectacular, I totally disagree. An average player who has not improved as much as he should.

We'll be better off without him. I'd bet that Jonny Smith is far better than him now.

4 hours ago, simon uk said:

I guess oxford, like us, and nearly every other club in the world have to accept that if a plAyer has the chance to earn more money by moving on, then they will take it. As for odowda, yes he’s talented but apart from a spell last season before his injury, has never really put a run of games together where you sit back and think yes, hes going to be the next big thing.

His injury came at a terrible time tbh. Awful luck and timing- he was on fire at that stage, rich vein of form.

13 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Eliasson is a better footballer anyway. O'Dowda is a good player and deserves a new contract if he wants to stay, if not he will not be sorely missed. 

Is Eliasson as versatile? Potentially perhaps but O'Dowda is, has been definitely better at drifting in and out (so far). Think that offers us more tactically, much as I do rate Eliasson.

@swanker

You mention good wingers and O'Dowda not being much cop. He's not an orthodox winger for one is he?

Not really a touchline hugging player- and that's the way the game is going ay decent levels, including our own. Sometimes watch Eliasson out wide and for all his excellent delivery, wonder 'Is this the best way to proceed'.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is Eliasson as versatile? Potentially perhaps but O'Dowda is, has been definitely better at drifting in and out (so far). Think that offers us more tactically, much as I do rate Eliasson.

@swanker

You mention good wingers and O'Dowda not being much cop. He's not an orthodox winger for one is he?

Not really a touchline hugging player- and that's the way the game is going ay decent levels, including our own. Sometimes watch Eliasson out wide and for all his excellent delivery, wonder 'Is this the best way to proceed'.

I think so, can play either wing and offers a lot on set piece delivery as well, not as much as a goal threat perhaps but creates a lot more goal scoring opportunities with those crosses that cause havoc. 

21 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I think so, can play either wing and offers a lot on set piece delivery as well, not as much as a goal threat perhaps but creates a lot more goal scoring opportunities with those crosses that cause havoc. 

My theory is more about the evolution of the game- maybe it's swinging back round again but crossing with more traditional types of wingers?

Not so effective as it was- O'Dowda more of a modern wide man. I'm sure % of goals from crosses is declining overall- @spudski often refers to this or has in the past.

On the general theme, wingers as they were are increasingly being replaced by inside forwards, wide midfielders or a mix of the 2.

Weimann was labelled as being deployed as a winger for example when he was on the flank in the 4-1-4-1. To me, it was as more of a wide midfielder. Had it been further forward, he would've been somewhere between a winger pushed high and an inside forward.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My theory is more about the evolution of the game- maybe it's swinging back round again but crossing with more traditional types of wingers?

Not so effective as it was- O'Dowda more of a modern wide man. I'm sure % of goals from crosses is declining overall- @spudski often refers to this or has in the past.

Its all relative though isn't it, crossing is going down in effectiveness but how many players deliver balls like Eliasson? Not a lot in truth. I agree with you however that he needs to be more versatile. I would like to see him be more aggressive in trying to shoot more rather than anyways hitting the cross, such as the Robben-esque goal we saw against Bolton. This will stop him being so predictable and help us break those teams down that seem to sit back on us, which has been the thorn in our side for the last few years. 

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

If that is what you see as spectacular, I totally disagree. An average player who has not improved as much as he should.

We'll be better off without him. I'd bet that Jonny Smith is far better than him now.

To be fair, Jonny Smith would have chipped it up for an overhead kick ?

10 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Really good call. I remember watching it and, although it may have been part of the family narrative they were trying to establish for Callum (his granddad was an Irish singer IIRC), it seemed Mr O’Dowda senior was in the programme as much, if not more, than Callum. The impression the programme gave was not of a young professional who had a clear idea of what he wanted to achieve and how, but of a father who was pushing his son to achieve the dreams he never realised for his reflective glory.

Maybe unfair but didn’t see the family stop the programme going out for an unfair edit. A great contrast was the programme with Rhian Brewster (I think) from the same series

8 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Its all relative though isn't it, crossing is going down in effectiveness but how many players deliver balls like Eliasson? Not a lot in truth. I agree with you however that he needs to be more versatile. I would like to see him be more aggressive in trying to shoot more rather than anyways hitting the cross, such as the Robben-esque goal we saw against Bolton. This will stop him being so predictable and help us break those teams down that seem to sit back on us, which has been the thorn in our side for the last few years. 

crossing_stats.png

This is from November 2017, so unsure the sample size or time frame- I appreciate these may not be Agree he should shoot more- his goals v Bolton and QPR were great, definitely has it in his locker.

Archived