IGNORED

Callum O'Dowda (Merged)

Coppello

29 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Says who? The ability to get the ball, run forward at pace, take on the defender either side, deliver quality ball into the box or occasionally go for goal oneself and actually hit the target. So what the hell are wingers supposed to be able to do these days?

Sure as hell CoD doesn't have the ability to do the above with any level of consistency.

Teams at a solid level can generally play with right footers on the left, or left footers on the right for one.

Drift inside getting numerical advantage for the team another aspect- definitely it is different to 30, 20 or even in some respects 10 years ago. Traditional out and out wingers are fading a bit in this era. Inside forwards pushed high and wide or wide midfielders, are often a quite common replacement- I wouldn't have classed Cavaleiro and Costa as orthodox wingers for example.

Okay maybe suggesting that wingers have changed verbatim is a bit broad brush and final, but tactically the roles of wingers are changing. Higher level you go, the more it is like this, or heading this way. A good example might be central wingers, became quite fashionable a few years ago. True width can come from attacking full backs, or wing backs.

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I could see an exciting City team with Brownhill and another energetic CM in midfield, Eliasson on one flank, O’Dowda on the other, with two strikers in a good old 442....would take me back to Gavin, Smith, Bob Taylor and Turner days. 

Would it have the numeric ability to boss the ball, if indeed that is how we want to go? Or might we go to an aggressively counterattacking 4-4-2, I guess O'Dowda coming inside would help with that and the right striker could either drop back or pull wide as and when. Depends how we set up tactically IMO- a front 3 of O'Dowda, Eliasson and Weimann could be an interesting mix and providing a bit more insurance further back.

I love the blind optimism in transfer value applied to players who are deamed not good enough for us...

"That (insert name of bit part player with minimal number of squad appearances/ goals/ assists, dreadful injury record, and minimal contract left) just isn't up to the job. We should ship him out and reinvest the 'X' million in a proven striker (the ones that grow on trees and no other team seems to be after)....."

True fantasy football.

11 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

I love the blind optimism in transfer value applied to players who are deamed not good enough for us...

"That (insert name of bit part player with minimal number of squad appearances/ goals/ assists, dreadful injury record, and minimal contract left) just isn't up to the job. We should ship him out and reinvest the 'X' million in a proven striker (the ones that grow on trees and no other team seems to be after)....."

True fantasy football.

I agree in part  but we often talk of cutting our losses on certain players.

Those players may be better employed at a different club for whatever reason.

If enough ineffective players are shipped out that leaves space in the squad and the budget to reinvest .

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Out of interest mate, where does this assumption on his dad come from?

Surely he is no different to any other footballers parents wanting the best for them?

These were my reasons given earlier in the thread @phantom. I have seen plenty of interviews with young players over the years - our own Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid and Josh Brownhill to name but three but seldom, if ever have I heard from their parents yet Callum's father seems to be far more prominent.

On 08/05/2019 at 21:21, Rudolf Hucker said:

There was an interesting documentary (I think called Phenoms) on Sky sometime last year which focussed upon the careers of three young footballers, one of which was Callum. Watching it and the interviews with his dad, I felt that he played too prominent a role in his son’s life. I suspect that his departure from Oxford and soon to be (I’m sure) from AG evidences this. 

On 08/05/2019 at 21:35, Rudolf Hucker said:

Phenoms S1, Ep5

8 Jun. 2018

The Creators

With the World Cup approaching, five wingers and attacking midfielders must navigate the high expectations of substantial money transfers on their journeys to making their national team. Featuring Ousmane Dembélé of France, Orbelín Pineda of Mexico, Oliver Burke of Scotland, Callum O'Dowda of Ireland, and Moses Simon of Nigeria.

We do all want the very best for our children, of course we do, but they need to be left to make their own decisions regarding their careers and their relationships (and a million more things besides!). Parents can advise and guide - when asked - but they shouldn't overstep the mark and push or manipulate to get their own way. Of course, I don't know for sure that this is happening in Callum's case but I sense that it is.

Callum has already left Oxford perhaps prematurely and may be about to do the same by leaving City. Has he developed that modus operandi for himself, or is he being steered? Is it best for his career and/or only his wallet? Is it his agent in his ear or his father? We'll never know and can only speculate.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Teams at a solid level can generally play with right footers on the left, or left footers on the right for one.

Drift inside getting numerical advantage for the team another aspect- definitely it is different to 30, 20 or even in some respects 10 years ago. Traditional out and out wingers are fading a bit in this era. Inside forwards pushed high and wide or wide midfielders, are often a quite common replacement- I wouldn't have classed Cavaleiro and Costa as orthodox wingers for example.

Okay maybe suggesting that wingers have changed verbatim is a bit broad brush and final, but tactically the roles of wingers are changing. Higher level you go, the more it is like this, or heading this way. A good example might be central wingers, became quite fashionable a few years ago. True width can come from attacking full backs, or wing backs.

Would it have the numeric ability to boss the ball, if indeed that is how we want to go? Or might we go to an aggressively counterattacking 4-4-2, I guess O'Dowda coming inside would help with that and the right striker could either drop back or pull wide as and when. Depends how we set up tactically IMO- a front 3 of O'Dowda, Eliasson and Weimann could be an interesting mix and providing a bit more insurance further back.

It’s a good question, and one I have thought out quite a bit.  Part of the reason I think we get outnumbered in CM is because we play Pack and Brownhill vertically (one deep, one not) rather than horizontally (side by side).  It’s a double edged sword, because Pack acts as a screen defensively for the 2xCBs, but I think it leaves too much for Brownhill to cover, or requires the WMs to play narrow to compensate.  But I think we partly do this because Pack isn’t mobile / quick enough (LJ - stay in the cage) to play more box-to-box.

I know Pack is a good player, although I think 18/19 was average for him, but it is why I want more energetic mobile CMs to take us to the next level.  To get the extra striker that I think we need, the compromise is either some form of 442, because I think width (not necessarily touchline hugging) creates the space and angles for clever strikers to get chances.  Alternatively we go 532, we get 2 Strikers and the extra CM, but we put a huge emphasis on our WBs to create the attacking option, whilst certainly at home we leave holes down the side of our CBs for easy out ball for our opponents.  

There is no magic formula, it’s about recruiting the right players for the right system.  I do want a bit more pace all through the side though.

One of the key City decisions this summer will be Callum O'Dowda and his footballing future.  I can't claim to know anything about his personal position, apart from the views on here, but we seem resigned to losing him.

I fear this would be a whopper of a mistake.

Callum will be a top-quality player at this level, and should be a constant in the team.  He was fantastic during many periods this season, and of course scored a wonder goal against Norwich.

City should go above and beyond to get him a longer deal, and then the coaches simply have to build his confidence / strength and keep him in the team.  He has the talent to score 8-10 goals and should easily reach double-figures for assists.

As you can probably tell, I like the lad!  Any similar / opposing thoughts?

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

One of the key City decisions this summer will be Callum O'Dowda and his footballing future.  I can't claim to know anything about his personal position, apart from the views on here, but we seem resigned to losing him.

Callum will be a top-quality player at this level, and should be a constant in the team.  He was fantastic during many periods this season, and of course scored a wonder goal against Norwich.

City should go above and beyond to get him a longer deal, and then the coaches simply have to build his confidence / strength and keep him in the team.  He has the talent to score 8-10 goals and should easily reach double-figures for assists.

If he wants to go let him.

8 minutes ago, Super said:

If he wants to go let him.

Does he really want to go, though?  What is this based on?  If it's the contract for example, provided he's being realistic, then the club should meet his requirement as best they can.  He'll be worth at least £5million with another good season under his belt.

4 minutes ago, FOTC! said:

Nobody is bigger than the club. If he doesn't want us, we don't need him. Move on.

This is what I'm saying, where has the impression come from he doesn't want us?  We don't need to just move good players on, find out if there is an issue, and resolve it!

Surely, now we are a top half improving Championship team, we must still have appeal to C'OD?

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Does he really want to go, though?  What is this based on?  If it's the contract for example, provided he's being realistic, then the club should meet his requirement as best they can.  He'll be worth at least £5million with another good season under his belt.

I'm sure the club have offered him a god deal on a par with a lot of players. He was hardly busting a gut to play for us at the end of the season was he?

17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

With his transfer fee and 3 years wages we will be lucky to get our money back in my opinion. If we go !above and beyond" presumably that means paying him a shedload more money and it seems like LJ doesn't really rate him anyway.

He doesn't appear to want to stay so he can go asap.

12 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Of course he wants out. 

I swear every time this situation happens, fans still think we're in with a chance of keeping them. Baldock, Bryan, Reid & now O'Dowda. 

The contract offer was on the table from early last season, he still hasn't signed. Get rid & reinvest the few million we make on him. 

If we get 3 million and that pays for even half of Kalas I'd take it. 

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Of course he wants out. 

I swear every time this situation happens, fans still think we're in with a chance of keeping them. Baldock, Bryan, Reid & now O'Dowda. 

The contract offer was on the table from early last season, he still hasn't signed. Get rid & reinvest the few million we make on him. 

Agreed. I think we would need £3m to cover his total cost.

28 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Of course he wants out. 

I get what you're saying, but if the club wants to keep Callum, then of course we must have a chance of keeping him.

He was happy to sign for us in the first instance, the club has grown massively since then, he has had continual international recognition, and has developed his game.

Unless he has had a falling out with coaches / players, or has suddenly turned into a greedy b*stard, why wouldn't he want to stay with City?

Keep him, play him, watch him get even better.

In an ideal world I'd like him to stay but he has a year on his contract and the club has to be sustainable. I'd be delighted if he signed a new deal but, if he does not, this summer is the time to cash in. We don't want another Maynard situation of losing a player for below market value because we've let them dither about what they want to do. 

His trouble is he's only ever available for part of a season due to injuries and after an injury takes a few games to get back in the swing, he's then very good for a run of games before another injury strikes. We need more players who don't get injured (eg like Brownhill or Flint when he was here). He obviously thinks he's good enough for the Prem but he'd be no more than a bench-warmer there (if that). Provided we get a decent fee the money can be better invested elsewhere.

Really like Callum and hope he stays. Think he would be a massive part of our ongoing push to the premier league. But....surely if he was going to sign then he would have by now? Would like to see him given a chance in a more central role, although I think we've missed that opportunity. Really like Elliasson, and hopefully Adelakun gets up to our level and has that breakthrough season next season as Nic did previously. 

I like COD, and I'd like him to stay, but I'd rather the club put this out in the open.

Offer him a new contract, give him a week to sign it, and if he doesn't, declare him available for transfer. If there's interest, but the financials are wrong, meet up and hash it out.

My one criticism of this club, and it's one that's been a problem for years, is that we drag these things out far too long.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I get what you're saying, but if the club wants to keep Callum, then of course we must have a chance of keeping him.

He was happy to sign for us in the first instance, the club has grown massively since then, he has had continual international recognition, and has developed his game.

Unless he has had a falling out with coaches / players, or has suddenly turned into a greedy b*stard, why wouldn't he want to stay with City?

Keep him, play him, watch him get even better.

Maybe he simply wants more money or thinks he can do better, maybe both! All of which I think he can achieve elsewhere 

I don’t know whether he has a high opinion of himself or no, and I am obviously not privy to the offer on the table to judge whether it is just. However I could understand a young players ego being raised by the high praise he has received , especially from Martin O’Neill when manager of ROI. I would prefer keep as I believe him to be a talented lad with the best yet to come, but oh he won’t sign then he has to be moved on now as I wouldn’t want to lose him for nothing. Any chance of a bid from Forest?

Archived