IGNORED

Callum O'Dowda (Merged)

Coppello

A newbie to OTIB. I'm also not his agent or his dad. This & the O'Dowda thread is a full of conspiracy theories gone mental, dark forces are at work to get wretched Callum away. It's embarrassing. If he does want out, it's no wonder given all the crap doing the rounds. If my memory serves me right, didn't Johnson say he was a great human being, unlucky with injuries?. Granted, he has flaws but he has shown glimpses of magic. He has been a huge loss to us towards the end of the campaign but getting injured is not the reason why we didn't make the play-offs

The lad wont sign a new deal. That's all we know. We don't why and we never will. Why do some feel they to fill in the gaps when they know jack sh**?. I agree with reddogkev that this baller is worth fighting for. He could really kick on with us next season and be an important part of our next drive for improved success.  If we lose him, then so be it. I wish him the best.

It would appear that he wants to move on due to the lack of will to sign a new contract.

Some of the comments made by LJ towards the end of the season did not sit well either - it would appear that the player was not prepared to play - could be any number of reasons for that, not least that he wants to go......

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Does he really want to go, though?  What is this based on?  If it's the contract for example, provided he's being realistic, then the club should meet his requirement as best they can.  He'll be worth at least £5million with another good season under his belt.

He will be worth nothing with another season under his belt, as hell take the signing on fee for himself as a bosman transfer. 

23 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I like COD, and I'd like him to stay, but I'd rather the club put this out in the open.

Offer him a new contract, give him a week to sign it, and if he doesn't, declare him available for transfer. If there's interest, but the financials are wrong, meet up and hash it out.

My one criticism of this club, and it's one that's been a problem for years, is that we drag these things out far too long.

The window isn't even open yet! We no longer do our business "in the open" which is the right way imo.

If Callum refuses to sign a new contract and we're not prepared to offer him improved terms, he'll be moved on for the right price and the first thing we'll hear about it is an ITK on here reporting it a couple of hours before the press conference!

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The window isn't even open yet! We no longer do our business "in the open" which is the right way imo.

If Callum refuses to sign a new contract and we're not prepared to offer him improved terms, he'll be moved on for the right price and the first thing we'll hear about it is an ITK on here reporting it a couple of hours before the press conference!

This isn't out of the blue. COD's head was allegedly turned before last window, and we dragged it out without giving any clarity on his position.

Like others I also imagine he wants out, in which case I'm really not that bothered - however I'll stop short of doing the "don't let the door hit you on the way out thing". 

I do think there is a "player" there, certainly among the 3-4 with the highest potential at the club to play at a higher level (well disciplined wingers with strength, pace and balance often go far), and maybe that is what is driving his self-belief. My biggest problem with the guy is his consistency, which is abysmal. He has one good game, then goes missing the next.

Perhaps he thinks that is down to the manager and tactics rather than his ability. I don't know. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it isn't all his fault, as between he and Eliasson we know that neither player survives a poor 45 minutes in the team long enough to develop any consistency. Nonetheless, O'Dowda's record of staying in the team is appalling.

Side question - we know he and Brownhill are best buddies. They're the same age and both clearly have potential. Arguably Brownhill has done more to demonstrate his. He has also signed a new contract and appears loyal and passionate about City. O'Dowda isn't. In so many other ways they are alike, what drives that one difference. Dare I mention class?

1 minute ago, EnderMB said:

This isn't out of the blue. COD's head was allegedly turned before last window, and we dragged it out without giving any clarity on his position.

We know nothing. We thrive on gossip, rumour and intrigue. A random photo of the left knee of someone drinking coffee with LJ in Clifton can generate a ten page thread on here and keep us going for weeks.

City have possibly been very clear and precise with Callum - or maybe not. None of us know - unless we've been told. So how do you know "his head was allegedly turned" or that we've "dragged it out without giving any clarity on his position"?

13 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Who is the we in your statement? Is that COD, City or a purchasing club? 

What clarity were you expecting, the club rightfully don't tell the public (including its own fans/supporters) anything about on going transfer situations. 

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Side question - we know he and Brownhill are best buddies. They're the same age and both clearly have potential. Arguably Brownhill has done more to demonstrate his. He has also signed a new contract and appears loyal and passionate about City. O'Dowda isn't. In so many other ways they are alike, what drives that one difference. Dare I mention class?

Fair question Olé. Perhaps being a regular part of a second or third level international squad has given Callum ideas above his present level of development? Josh spends his international breaks back at home with his family, he's stated in previous interviews, so perhaps that helps to explain the difference?

58 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I like COD, and I'd like him to stay, but I'd rather the club put this out in the open.

Offer him a new contract, give him a week to sign it, and if he doesn't, declare him available for transfer. If there's interest, but the financials are wrong, meet up and hash it out.

My one criticism of this club, and it's one that's been a problem for years, is that we drag these things out far too long.

Im guessing that if we want him to stay we would have offered him a new contract during the current season ( i.e. the one just finished) so before he goes into the final year.  It's then in the player's hands as to whether he accepts or not, although my read is that it's become clear in the last few months that he is not going to sign.

If so, and we are looking to offload him, then the earliest we can do that is when the summer window opens so can;t see how we've dragged things out far too long.

Also, if COD is looking for a move you can bet his agent has been touting him around clubs that they think will be interested. If so, and there is genuine interest, then fingers crossed we get offers in quickly once the window is open again.

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

Like others I also imagine he wants out, in which case I'm really not that bothered - however I'll stop short of doing the "don't let the door hit you on the way out thing". 

I do think there is a "player" there, certainly among the 3-4 with the highest potential at the club to play at a higher level (well disciplined wingers with strength, pace and balance often go far), and maybe that is what is driving his self-belief. My biggest problem with the guy is his consistency, which is abysmal. He has one good game, then goes missing the next.

Perhaps he thinks that is down to the manager and tactics rather than his ability. I don't know. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it isn't all his fault, as between he and Eliasson we know that neither player survives a poor 45 minutes in the team long enough to develop any consistency. Nonetheless, O'Dowda's record of staying in the team is appalling.

I agree with all of that.  For me COD should sign a new deal, one that will be much improved on his current deal, knuckle down and be a key part of next season’s team.  He can do a Flint and agree verbally that if we get the right offer he can go. Win-win. 

But football, clubs and players aren’t like that. 

1 minute ago, hodge said:

LJ has said since January we've been trying to get him to sign a new deal, clearly club want him to stay.

Depends on what money the club have offered him,,, offer him 25k a week for 3 years and he will stay. I dont think hes worth that though, and if the contract offer puts him at the average first team salary level and he refuses it, then we should let him go. Hes clearly a decent prospect but hasnt really affected games often enough in my view.

28 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Depends on what money the club have offered him,,, offer him 25k a week for 3 years and he will stay. I dont think hes worth that though, and if the contract offer puts him at the average first team salary level and he refuses it, then we should let him go. Hes clearly a decent prospect but hasnt really affected games often enough in my view.

Exactly. Whatever average is in terms of squad wage then he's that, but no more.

I seem to recall LJ questioning his character when injured but didn't see the quote, is that the case or otib 2+2 =5 ? If so then that might be the reason for his apparent stance on a new contract.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I think COD is advised by 'business-minded' individuals shall we say, who know that to milk as much money out of COD's short career they need to keep him moving...transfer fees, signing on fees, bigger wages etc. 

Got no time for players who don't want to stay with us. You're either with us or against us.

He (and his agent) probably think he's better (and worth more money) than he really is.

He's had some good games, but also a few bad ones. Needs to be more direct and consistent.

Maybe another coach will get that out of him. We'll see.

If he goes, we'll hopefully find someone better who wants to be here and wear the shirt with pride. 

12 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Got no time for players who don't want to stay with us. You're either with us or against us.

He (and his agent) probably think he's better (and worth more money) than he really is.

He's had some good games, but also a few bad ones. Needs to be more direct and consistent.

Maybe another coach will get that out of him. We'll see.

If he goes, we'll hopefully find someone better who wants to be here and wear the shirt with pride. 

Seems pretty clear he is not "on the bus". Over to Ashton to get the best deal for us, as he did with Reid.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think COD is advised by 'business-minded' individuals shall we say, who know that to milk as much money out of COD's short career they need to keep him moving...transfer fees, signing on fees, bigger wages etc. 

I think he is another young lad heavily influenced by his father. I just hope for his sake that his father provides better advice than Zach Clough’s. 

19 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Unless he has had a falling out with coaches / players, or has suddenly turned into a greedy b*stard, why wouldn't he want to stay with City?

You think he may have had some kind of roe with the club... ?  or could it be his advisors egging him on to go for a move and he's taken the bait hook line and sinker?     

16 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

You think he may have had some kind of roe with the club... ?  or could it be his advisors egging him on to go for a move and he's taken the bait hook line and sinker?     

COD had a roe ? :) 

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

If his agent/ advisors have turned Callum's head, I'm going to gut them like a fish!

It was obvious from day one that ODowda would see out his 3 years with us and look to move higher. He did the same to his hometown team so why would it be any different for us.

I like the guy as a player but as others have said his potential far outweights anything we've ever seen from him, certainly on a consistent enough basis. 

He'll be sold for £5m+, good business.

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

It was obvious from day one that ODowda would see out his 3 years with us and look to move higher. He did the same to his hometown team so why would it be any different for us.

I like the guy as a player but as others have said his potential far outweights anything we've ever seen from him, certainly on a consistent enough basis. 

He'll be sold for £5m+, good business.

cidercity, another example of where we fill the gaps with fake news. A simple scan of Google shows that Callum was at his hometown club since he was 7 or 8 (Oxford United). He remained there until the end of his second pro deal (13 years), having helped them get promoted to L1. Hardly 'did the same to his hometown team'.

£5m would be great business but I still think that we should have another go at convincing him to stay

To lose CO'D will be a serious blow. Who else do we have with five syllables to his name?

"Kee-ep Callum O'Dowda.....

His boots too small to fit his feet,

His body injured but his mind is free,

Are you so blind that you cannot see (there's a player in there, with five syllables in his name)

I say, keep Callum O'Dowda...."

"Callum O'Dowda run down your contract for me ..... " 

Archived