Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Coppello

Callum O'Dowda (Merged)

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

It was obvious from day one that ODowda would see out his 3 years with us and look to move higher. He did the same to his hometown team so why would it be any different for us.

I like the guy as a player but as others have said his potential far outweights anything we've ever seen from him, certainly on a consistent enough basis. 

He'll be sold for £5m+, good business.

cidercity, another example of where we fill the gaps with fake news. A simple scan of Google shows that Callum was at his hometown club since he was 7 or 8 (Oxford United). He remained there until the end of his second pro deal (13 years), having helped them get promoted to L1. Hardly 'did the same to his hometown team'.

£5m would be great business but I still think that we should have another go at convincing him to stay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To lose CO'D will be a serious blow. Who else do we have with five syllables to his name?

"Kee-ep Callum O'Dowda.....

His boots too small to fit his feet,

His body injured but his mind is free,

Are you so blind that you cannot see (there's a player in there, with five syllables in his name)

I say, keep Callum O'Dowda...."

 

"Callum O'Dowda run down your contract for me ..... " 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's had is head turned when playing internationals thinks he's good enough for the prem, was told we will not make him a better offer than the one that's been on the table for the last 6 months and he's shown no interest in signing,

Think it's Bobby all over again first bottom 5 prem team shows an interest he will be off, if we can get £5m for him we have done well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really dont mind players coming here having ambition and wanting to move on.

But what annoys me is when players come here, are average for a while and then as soon as they put in a few good performances they want off! No mate, we gave you the chance, play well for a good season or two and then move. You started to play extremely well but you have proved nothing and dont deserve a big move... yet.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks classy and elegant, but frankly doesn’t affect the game as much as he should, as often as he should. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone thinking we are going to get £5m+ for a player who hasn't set the world alight and has a year left on his contract, you're gonna be in for a big shock methinks! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t remember that being the Clash’s single cover?

Was going tp post that Dave, but the rest of the book cover seemed quite appropriate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Anyone thinking we are going to get £5m+ for a player who hasn't set the world alight and has a year left on his contract, you're gonna be in for a big shock methinks! 

A year ago did anyone think we'd get £10m for a player who'd had just one decent season in his career?

P.S. I'd be surprised if we get £5m for COD, but in today's transfer market, who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

We know nothing. We thrive on gossip, rumour and intrigue. A random photo of the left knee of someone drinking coffee with LJ in Clifton can generate a ten page thread on here and keep us going for weeks.

City have possibly been very clear and precise with Callum - or maybe not. None of us know - unless we've been told. So how do you know "his head was allegedly turned" or that we've "dragged it out without giving any clarity on his position"?

You're right. The whole of football thrives on it, and it's placed in the public by anyone - from shitty journalists trying to get clicks, or agents trying to drum up interest.

Typically, there's no smoke without fire, and the rumours have been there for long enough, all while a player is nearing the end of their contract. Since the rumour hasn't been addressed, I think it's safe to say there is something there. Either the player wants to move, or the contract being offered isn't adequate for either side.

In either of those scenarios, the time to leave is now. If a contract isn't to be signed, the player should go before their value is limited. If the player wants out, we should either grant it, or offer an extension and a minimum clause to allow them to go for a fair price.

The only thing we thrive on more than gossip is history, and historically the club hasn't dealt with wantaaway players well in the past. Admittedly, we did well to sell Aden Flint when his head was turned, but the rumours for COD were there while the Flint rumours there also circulating. One player went, and the other didn't. Without any news, it's up to us to determine why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2019 at 17:26, Davefevs said:

It’s a good question, and one I have thought out quite a bit.  Part of the reason I think we get outnumbered in CM is because we play Pack and Brownhill vertically (one deep, one not) rather than horizontally (side by side).  It’s a double edged sword, because Pack acts as a screen defensively for the 2xCBs, but I think it leaves too much for Brownhill to cover, or requires the WMs to play narrow to compensate.  But I think we partly do this because Pack isn’t mobile / quick enough (LJ - stay in the cage) to play more box-to-box.

I know Pack is a good player, although I think 18/19 was average for him, but it is why I want more energetic mobile CMs to take us to the next level.  To get the extra striker that I think we need, the compromise is either some form of 442, because I think width (not necessarily touchline hugging) creates the space and angles for clever strikers to get chances.  Alternatively we go 532, we get 2 Strikers and the extra CM, but we put a huge emphasis on our WBs to create the attacking option, whilst certainly at home we leave holes down the side of our CBs for easy out ball for our opponents.  

There is no magic formula, it’s about recruiting the right players for the right system.  I do want a bit more pace all through the side though.

Agree on a lot of that- I think a 3rd bona fide midfielder would help give Pack more options too though, help prevent him getting pressed in possession so much- bit of extra intensity in there helps with this and he is too deep as well IMO- I would consider keeping Pack in the side, letting him get higher up the pitch and have someone else deeper- new signing or solution within?

Width is a good thing, think you mentioned before the width of the penalty area or something as opposed to touchline hugging, we did that quite a lot in the 2017/18 excellent run I think. Some form of 4-4-2 could work- diamond midfield maybe, perhaps 4-3-1-2, 4-1-3-2, if the centre is fairly packed though- that can help negate. Ideally in that sort of shape you'd need players who can drifty in and out- ie O'Dowda, more wide midfielders than wingers. O'Dowda and Brownhill on the flanks- not likely now with contract- could have been one way to go given they both can tuck in, especially Brownhill. A really radical shape maybe a strikerless formation that merges with a 4-4-2...4 at the back, say 2 AMs/strikers, for arguments sake let's say 4, then Pack and Brownhill in the middle, Weimann and Paterson as the next 2 and then pushed high and wide as if strikers but not centrally, Eliasson and O'Dowda.

Like a 4-2-2-2 but a strikerless one, as in no focal point which would really keep the opposition guessing! I know in reality O'Dowda likely off plus we will of course sign new players and the way it's laid out, or maybe even the viability of such a shape would change...lots of scope for fluidity and flexibility there though, but a lot of hard work on the training ground would be required and I don't even know if it is realistic but the fluidity in such a shape could be really impressive.

Agreed on both, a clearly defined Plan A and B would be good- LJ to properly go in with one. Then recruit accordingly- obviously with injury crises these can change and sometimes for the better. More pace is always welcome- pace alone could be tweaked into a key asset- I always thought of Sproule e.g. who was lightning but not always so good with the end product, could have been like a supersub. Last 20-30, run at creaking defence plus with that raw pace v tiring legs win free kicks and penalties- through the centre and watch him go, create havoc- especially in the Championship of 10 years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, downendcity said:

A year ago did anyone think we'd get £10m for a player who'd had just one decent season in his career?

P.S. I'd be surprised if we get £5m for COD, but in today's transfer market, who knows?

Who cares what the price is he's not intrested in us so ship him on his attitude stinks. His dad's his agent and done exactly same at Oxford but he got his move this time I think it's back fired and clearly dropped so ship him out and let someone who can be bothered take his place as we haven't got time to pamper players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the only time I can say I have an inside line, but we made a good but not great offer to him in Jan which he hasn’t accepted - other clubs top end champ (budget wise) and lower prem were alerted and he and his agent worked out his value based on that. Allegedly we were at the 15k mark and other clubs, including Stoke, are comfortable to go some way above that to get him. No idea if there has been a falling out etc. but it seems there are clubs who will pay more, pretty simple I guess. 

This info was given to me at Heathrow by a mate of a mate, when I said I supported City he laughed and told me the story, back in Feb. All seems to be true, and he works in the game. Shame; he could be one that goes on to better himself, I am really unsure. That money per week at City could be better spent I think. 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Probably the only time I can say I have an inside line, but we made a good but not great offer to him in Jan which he hasn’t accepted - other clubs top end champ (budget wise) and lower prem were alerted and he and his agent worked out his value based on that. Allegedly we were at the 15k mark and other clubs, including Stoke, are comfortable to go some way above that to get him. No idea if there has been a falling out etc. but it seems there are clubs who will pay more, pretty simple I guess. 

This info was given to me at Heathrow by a mate of a mate, when I said I supported City he laughed and told me the story, back in Feb. All seems to be true, and he works in the game. Shame; he could be one that goes on to better himself, I am really unsure. That money per week at City could be better spent I think. 

He was offered the same as Josh and he signed so he clearly thinks he's bigger than club so tada COD. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talented player hampered by injury and team selection! 

It does not matter what profession you are in, if the boss don’t give you the tools and support you need to shine, there is not much point in staying around!

As an 11 you need the attack to be up for it, if your attacking midfield partner is a player with ability but repeatedly gets selected but fails to do his job, what are you going to do? Try and find a team to play where selection is ability based!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, downendcity said:

A year ago did anyone think we'd get £10m for a player who'd had just one decent season in his career?

P.S. I'd be surprised if we get £5m for COD, but in today's transfer market, who knows?

Aye but 20+ goals in the championship for an attacker is much better than someone who has never got 5+ goals or assists.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

To lose CO'D will be a serious blow. Who else do we have with five syllables to his name?

Antoine Semenyo

Tyreeq Bakinson

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2019 at 15:01, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wow.

What would she think if she heard France Gall's song, Ella Elle l'a'?

Not a big chance of that happening unless Stevey tunes into Radio Nostalgie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dave36 said:

Talented player hampered by injury and team selection! 

It does not matter what profession you are in, if the boss don’t give you the tools and support you need to shine, there is not much point in staying around!

As an 11 you need the attack to be up for it, if your attacking midfield partner is a player with ability but repeatedly gets selected but fails to do his job, what are you going to do? Try and find a team to play where selection is ability based!

Which is as easy as negotiating Brexit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Probably the only time I can say I have an inside line, but we made a good but not great offer to him in Jan which he hasn’t accepted - other clubs top end champ (budget wise) and lower prem were alerted and he and his agent worked out his value based on that. Allegedly we were at the 15k mark and other clubs, including Stoke, are comfortable to go some way above that to get him. No idea if there has been a falling out etc. but it seems there are clubs who will pay more, pretty simple I guess. 

This info was given to me at Heathrow by a mate of a mate, when I said I supported City he laughed and told me the story, back in Feb. All seems to be true, and he works in the game. Shame; he could be one that goes on to better himself, I am really unsure. That money per week at City could be better spent I think. 

Are Stoke spending money ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Are Stoke spending money ? 

Certainly did last season!

Afobe, Woods, Clucas, McClean to name a few...dunno about now though, but they have £33m in parachute payments so they might spend modestly, especially if they can shift high earners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd still try and commit CO'D to the club with an extra contract, even if it means amending the offered terms.  Find out what he wants to stay at the club, as he's nowhere near ready for the Prem - so his only option would still be the Championship.  Play him every week and he will have a quality season, I'm sure of it!

He would be better served staying here.  Unless he has his heart set on a move elsewhere (Leeds for example); I think the club will regret it if we can't get him to stay longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I'd still try and commit CO'D to the club with an extra contract, even if it means amending the offered terms.  Find out what he wants to stay at the club, as he's nowhere near ready for the Prem - so his only option would still be the Championship.  Play him every week and he will have a quality season, I'm sure of it!

He would be better served staying here.  Unless he has his heart set on a move elsewhere (Leeds for example); I think the club will regret it if we can't get him to stay longer.

It doesn't matter what we think, he listens to his Dad and /or his agent who are probably telling him he is plenty good enough for the prem  and that staying at City will hinder his career progression, not to mention his ( and his agent's) bank balance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I'd still try and commit CO'D to the club with an extra contract, even if it means amending the offered terms.  Find out what he wants to stay at the club, as he's nowhere near ready for the Prem - so his only option would still be the Championship.  Play him every week and he will have a quality season, I'm sure of it!

He would be better served staying here.  Unless he has his heart set on a move elsewhere (Leeds for example); I think the club will regret it if we can't get him to stay longer.

Ability wise, I'd keep him.

However if it has all broken down, I would sell him- even if reluctantly as our loss could be someone's gain. We can't lose him on a free though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Probably the only time I can say I have an inside line, but we made a good but not great offer to him in Jan which he hasn’t accepted - other clubs top end champ (budget wise) and lower prem were alerted and he and his agent worked out his value based on that. Allegedly we were at the 15k mark and other clubs, including Stoke, are comfortable to go some way above that to get him. No idea if there has been a falling out etc. but it seems there are clubs who will pay more, pretty simple I guess. 

This info was given to me at Heathrow by a mate of a mate, when I said I supported City he laughed and told me the story, back in Feb. All seems to be true, and he works in the game. Shame; he could be one that goes on to better himself, I am really unsure. That money per week at City could be better spent I think. 

So we have offered him 50% more than Joe Bryan  was offered to stay. Miss Joe. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I’m in the sell category. 5mil would be good funds for a striker/Kalas/JDS deals. Callum is good but can go missing, and has injury problems. We have plenty of other wide players both in the first team squad and coming from our youth ranks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Think I’m in the sell category. 5mil would be good funds for a striker/Kalas/JDS deals. Callum is good but can go missing, and has injury problems. We have plenty of other wide players both in the first team squad and coming from our youth ranks.

Think more like £3-4m tbh, once injuries and final year of contract factored in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Certainly did last season!

Afobe, Woods, Clucas, McClean to name a few...dunno about now though, but they have £33m in parachute payments so they might spend modestly, especially if they can shift high earners.

Woods, now there is a player that i would like to see us go after! Was very good for Brentford but I don't think he has played too often for Stoke due to be too similar to Joe Allen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, downendcity said:

It doesn't matter what we think, he listens to his Dad and /or his agent who are probably telling him he is plenty good enough for the prem  and that staying at City will hinder his career progression, not to mention his ( and his agent's) bank balance.

Nothing wrong with him listening to his dad and agent, that's fine, but I doubt they'd be telling him he's good enough for the Prem - even Callum would know that's nonsense, unless he's a bona fide, delusional nutter.

If it's only a question of money and greed, and a team like Stoke (mentioned above) are offering more than we can match, I accept that CO'D is a bit of a dick, as it would show no ambition to go to Stoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think more like £3-4m tbh, once injuries and final year of contract factored in.

Agreed and that will just about cover what he has cost us over the 3 years he has been with City.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Nothing wrong with him listening to his dad and agent, that's fine, but I doubt they'd be telling him he's good enough for the Prem - even Callum would know that's nonsense, unless he's a bona fide, delusional nutter.

If it's only a question of money and greed, and a team like Stoke (mentioned above) are offering more than we can match, I accept that CO'D is a bit of a dick, as it would show no ambition to go to Stoke.

I think they will do rather better next season and if we finished above them we would be right in the mix. As a consequence of prolonged periods in the top flight they are a bigger club with better players than us and that would in my opinion represent a good move for him.

Plus they would pay him a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Certainly did last season!

Afobe, Woods, Clucas, McClean to name a few...dunno about now though, but they have £33m in parachute payments so they might spend modestly, especially if they can shift high earners.

 

3 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Woods, now there is a player that i would like to see us go after! Was very good for Brentford but I don't think he has played too often for Stoke due to be too similar to Joe Allen.

I heard Nathan Jones is looking to move on Ryan Woods!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...