IGNORED

Pulis on his way..

bcfc01

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Pulis's "style" of football is somewhat different from what Swansea have tried to go for in the last few years.

Actually, not so different. Not since 2014/15 until their relegation it isn't- all of Monk, Bradley, Guidolin, Clement and Carvalhal- yes they were all a better watch than Pulis but they weren't tiki taka either. Somewhere between the 2 probably- only now are they getting back from the latter Jackett-Martinez-Sousa-Rodgers-Laudrup-caretaker Monk style under Potter. Seems an unlikely fit though!

8 hours ago, TomF said:

Teeside or Sandbanks.  Don't like the bloke but which would you choose..

Some beautiful countryside  South of Middlesbrough, maybe pushing into North Yorkshire- Teeside coastal areas, small towns nearby? Not so nice...depends what you might want in some ways.

Sandbanks looks pretty great all told- still I'm quite sure Middlesbrough players and management wouldn't be based in or around Middlesbrough itself- especially not as they pay quite generously. :laughcont:

1 minute ago, 42nite said:

As long as he's not on his way here anywhere's ok by me!

Ha, seconded!

My first half season or so was Benny- my first game was the Wolves 6-1 debacle, though at least a spirited rally in April onwards...

Benny goes, can only get better yeah? Nope- PULIS for half season in first full season- amazed I still follow us today really, in some ways.

6 hours ago, maxjak said:

He lives on a small island in the middle of an underground lake........beneath the Misty Mountains.  Horrible man. Horrible manager IMHO.

He's moved into Gollum's old place?

I suppose the rent is cheapish with goblins as neighbours.

16 hours ago, maxjak said:

He lives on a small island in the middle of an underground lake........beneath the Misty Mountains.  Horrible man. Horrible manager IMHO.

Similar look to this I imagine

castle-grayskull-final-1.jpg

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some beautiful countryside  South of Middlesbrough, maybe pushing into North Yorkshire- Teeside coastal areas, small towns nearby? Not so nice...depends what you might want in some ways.

Sandbanks looks pretty great all told- still I'm quite sure Middlesbrough players and management wouldn't be based in or around Middlesbrough itself- especially not as they pay quite generously. :laughcont:

Always makes me smile when people refer to an ugly town and assume that a player or manager would actually live within its boundaries.

As you say, beautiful countryside in the vicinity.

Anyway, I would be surprised if Mr Warnock went that far north unless he hankered after living in Yorkshire again.

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ha, seconded!

My first half season or so was Benny- my first game was the Wolves 6-1 debacle, though at least a spirited rally in April onwards...

Benny goes, can only get better yeah? Nope- PULIS for half season in first full season- amazed I still follow us today really, in some ways.

Thing about Pulis, he did as I recall make us more difficult to score against, although not the free flowing, all  out attack that City has been renowned for throughout its history......!

Funny though how a series of bigger (and historically better) clubs have queued up for his services ever since,.

I wouldn't want him here again by the way and he has made his disdain of us pretty clear in the past.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ha, seconded!

Life is strange.

One of the worst ever periods of my fifty-odd years supporting City was the Pulis era (only the 1982 “Bristol City - Now or Never” period was worse, though for vastly different reasons). We’d thought we were getting Moyes but instead we were saddled with a manager who only seemed intent upon damaging the then still brittle foundations of our club. His brand of football was and still remains, truly dire. He hated us and we hated him, resulting in a truly toxic atmosphere clouding BS3. If you weren’t around to witness it, be thankful.

Yet out of adversity came a rare happy feeling when, as I drove  home one evening in January 2000, I heard on Radio Bristol that his 6 month ‘reign’ as City manager was ending as Portsmouth had agreed to pay us compensation in return for his services. I well remember laughing my head off in pure delight as I drove underneath the Suspension Bridge! That we didn’t have to pay Pulis to leave - Mandaric was actually going to pay us!

Out of darkness comes light. The gloom over AG certainly disappeared that day!

14 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Life is strange.

One of the worst ever periods of my fifty-odd years supporting City was the Pulis era (only the 1982 “Bristol City - Now or Never” period was worse, though for vastly different reasons). We’d thought we were getting Moyes but instead we were saddled with a manager who only seemed intent upon damaging the then still brittle foundations of our club. His brand of football was and still remains, truly dire. He hated us and we hated him, resulting in a truly toxic atmosphere clouding BS3. If you weren’t around to witness it, be thankful.

Yet out of adversity came a rare happy feeling when, as I drove  home one evening in January 2000, I heard on Radio Bristol that his 6 month ‘reign’ as City manager was ending as Portsmouth had agreed to pay us compensation in return for his services. I well remember laughing my head off in pure delight as I drove underneath the Suspension Bridge! That we didn’t have to pay Pulis to leave - Mandaric was actually going to pay us!

Out of darkness comes light. The gloom over AG certainly disappeared that day!

Pulis has had a pretty solid career tbf to him but yes, was a terrible appointment- wholly unsuited to us. I know about our brush with bankruptcy and I indeed recall the terrible football, the lack of faith in youth, the disposal of foreign players and of course the sale of Akinbiyi though it was probably necessary, was it board driven I don't remember...he was surely acting against our interests in his time here!

Sure did- some good things came that season, primarily out of Pulis leaving. His brand of football didn't even have the Stoke type wingers or the odd bit of flair player with us, it was purely roll the ball out to Carl Hutchings and HOOOOOF IIRC. Truly terrible but more than that mind-numbing half-season.

13 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Thing about Pulis, he did as I recall make us more difficult to score against, although not the free flowing, all  out attack that City has been renowned for throughout its history......!

Funny though how a series of bigger (and historically better) clubs have queued up for his services ever since,.

I wouldn't want him here again by the way and he has made his disdain of us pretty clear in the past.

That maybe his one redeeming feature, harder to score against...but with the step down even a halfway approach between attack and defence, mix of pragmatism and forward quickly would have suited us better I think- still Pulis has a defined way of playing and clubs who hire him know (or should know) what they will get.

True- he has a solid body of work, usually tactically has some terrible football but not always. Him and us, not least due to the connection with a certain other club, just made it really unsuited IMO. It's like he has doubled down on negative tactics at Middlesbrough though, got worse for sure- looking from the outside anyway, this season.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That maybe his one redeeming feature, harder to score against...but with the step down even a halfway approach between attack and defence, mix of pragmatism and forward quickly would have suited us better I think- still Pulis has a defined way of playing and clubs who hire him know (or should know) what they will get.

True- he has a solid body of work, usually tactically has some terrible football but not always. Him and us, not least due to the connection with a certain other club, just made it really unsuited IMO. It's like he has doubled down on negative tactics at Middlesbrough though, got worse for sure- looking from the outside anyway, this season.

I looked up his playing record. He played 326 games between 1975 and 1992. That figure includes 13 games played in Hong Kong between 1981 and 1982. An average of 19 games per year over 17 years.

His career at Rovers spanned two periods: 1975-81 and 1982-84 during which he made a combined total of 130 appearances. An average of 16 games per year.

Hardly a stellar playing career!

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pulis has had a pretty solid career tbh to him but yes, was a terrible appointment- wholly unsuited to us. I know about our brush with bankruptcy and I indeed recall the terrible football, the lack of faith in youth, the disposal of foreign players and of course the sale of Akinbiyi though it was probably necessary, was it board driven I don't remember...he was surely acting against our interests in his time here!

Sure did- some good things came that season, primarily out of Pulis leaving. His brand of football didn't even have the Stoke type wingers or the odd bit of flair player with us, it was purely roll the ball out to Carl Hutchings and HOOOOOF IIRC. Truly terrible but more than that mind-numbing half-season.

In the squad for that season ;

Peter Beadle

Steve Torpey

Mark Shail

Lorenzo Pinamonte

Paul ‘ where’s me hamstrings ? ‘ Mortimer 

Gerard ‘ I love Reading supporters ‘ Lavin

Keith ‘ Interesting ‘ Millen

Karl ‘ What’s that round thing ? ‘ Hutchings

Steve ‘ No I really am tanned ‘ Jones .

The good guys ( there by mistake)

Tinnion

Scotty Murray

Mickey Bell .

It was during that six months that I started to get interested in cloud formations which were often obscured by a freaking football at Ashton Gate .

:badmood:

17 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I looked up his playing record. He played 326 games between 1975 and 1992. That figure includes 13 games played in Hong Kong between 1981 and 1982. An average of 19 games per year over 17 years.

His career at Rovers spanned two periods: 1975-81 and 1982-84 during which he made a combined total of 130 appearances. An average of 16 games per year.

Oh yeah, I meant his managerial career- he was mediocre as a player it sounds like.

19 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

More a ‘ Stella ‘  playing career.

5 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Going there shortly. Will be about twenty minutes. :noexp:

Hope you have deep pockets last time I was there a pint and a half of Stella was £7-40, and that was at least 5 years ago, nice place though. Enjoy your stay, I'm next to the Harbour moon.

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Peter Beadle

Steve Torpey

Mark Shail

Lorenzo Pinamonte

Tinnion

Scotty Murray

Mickey Bell .

It was during that six months that I started to get interested in cloud formations which were often obscured by a freaking football at Ashton Gate .

I  quite liked Mark Shail. Not the quickest but could play a bit for a big center back.

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ha, seconded!

Yeah, but did you go to that Bournemouth game after he left? Atmosphere in the away end was unbelievable. And we won!

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Peter Beadle

Steve Torpey

Mark Shail

Lorenzo Pinamonte

Tinnion

Scotty Murray

Mickey Bell .

To be fair, Mortimer could play a bit, the one game a year he was fit.

Didn't he sign Ivan Tistemitanu? Cracking player

Archived