IGNORED

Pulis on his way..

bcfc01

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Yeah, but did you go to that Bournemouth game after he left? Atmosphere in the away end was unbelievable. And we won!

I wasn't at the game but remember listening to it on Radio Bristol. During the post match phone-in, the first caller came on, he'd been at the game and Twentyman asked him what he thought. The guy replied "one word Geoff, TRIFFIC!"*

* For those too young to remember or had managed to successfully block out the whole sorry period, "triffic" was one of Pulis's favourite words.

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I am not sure but think Testimitanu came in with Benny .

Testicletattoo i think came in with Benny from memory

Cracking player but his wife was just a cracker........piano player that is!!

11 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

He hated us and we hated him, 

Our directors didn't hate him so much as to make an illegal approach to secure his services, to make some very irregular 'consultancy' payments during his time with us (you'll recall he never actually signed as our manager owing to the great Bristol Biro crisis) and long after he'd left, having never technically been an employee of ours, Stoke and ourselves ( they too had made an illegal approach,) funded his private High Court prosecution against Scally & Gillingham. Thankfully the Judge saw through him and in castigating terms tore his reputation (sic) to shreds.

Also not sure We hated him but I did, with a vengeance and that was long before , whilst our manager, he was observed cutting his front lawn wearing a Gas shirt.

13 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

One of the worst ever periods of my fifty-odd years supporting City was the Pulis era (only the 1982 “Bristol City - Now or Never” period was worse, though for vastly different reasons). We’d thought we were getting Moyes but instead we were saddled with a manager who only seemed intent upon damaging the then still brittle foundations of our club. His brand of football was and still remains, truly dire. He hated us and we hated him, resulting in a truly toxic atmosphere clouding BS3. If you weren’t around to witness it, be thankful.

I have one abiding memory of his reign and that was the dullest game of football I've ever seen - it was a 0-0 v Wycombe, possibly a Friday evening and if  they were still playingl today, it would still be 0-0.

The odd thing about his time was that we could't score for toffee but had Tony Thorpe in the squad and he  hardly got to play. He was a top goalscorer at that level. Maybe something to do with him being a nippy small guy and not the 6ft6 lump that Pulis has always gone for.

[Edit] just checked Wikipedia and Thorpe went on to score 51 in 128 games for City and Pulis wouldn't play him!

41 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

I have one abiding memory of his reign and that was the dullest game of football I've ever seen - it was a 0-0 v Wycombe, possibly a Friday evening and if  they were still playingl today, it would still be 0-0.

The odd thing about his time was that we could't score for toffee but had Tony Thorpe in the squad and he  hardly got to play. He was a top goalscorer at that level. Maybe something to do with him being a nippy small guy and not the 6ft6 lump that Pulis has always gone for.

[Edit] just checked Wikipedia and Thorpe went on to score 51 in 128 games for City and Pulis wouldn't play him!

I vaguely remember that game. Tommy Black rings a bell for some reason!

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

Testicletattoo i think came in with Benny from memory

Cracking player but his wife was just a cracker........piano player that is!!

Definitely a Benny signing. Thought as a player, so so?

Ah yes, didn't he have that as part of his signing on fee- seem to recall a grand piano or similar. Gift? Don't recall it exactly but.

8 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Our directors didn't hate him so much as to make an illegal approach to secure his services, to make some very irregular 'consultancy' payments during his time with us (you'll recall he never actually signed as our manager owing to the great Bristol Biro crisis) and long after he'd left, having never technically been an employee of ours, Stoke and ourselves ( they too had made an illegal approach,) funded his private High Court prosecution against Scally & Gillingham. Thankfully the Judge saw through him and in castigating terms tore his reputation (sic) to shreds.

Also not sure We hated him but I did, with a vengeance and that was long before , whilst our manager, he was observed cutting his front lawn wearing a Gas shirt.

And of course he got a hammering from another judge when he walked out on Palace then tried to screw them for millions.

This is football though, that sort of thing is no barrier to getting a job.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah yes, didn't he have that as part of his signing on fee- seem to recall a grand piano or similar. Gift? Don't recall it exactly but.

He certainly did

On 15/05/2019 at 00:11, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tistemetanu (no idea about the spelling) was a cracking player, prior to his terrible injury.  Combative, mobile, decent vision...could have been top notch.  Such a shame.

Just now, SecretSam said:

Tistemetanu (no idea about the spelling) was a cracking player, prior to his terrible injury.  Combative, mobile, decent vision...could have been top notch.  Such a shame.

Stick him in the Billy Mercer category of what might have been- was young back then, don't remember all of it so well.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Stick him in the Billy Mercer category of what might have been- was young back then, don't remember all of it so well.

:laugh: I have a few more years on you, it seems!!!!   I remember watching us lose at Oxford with a mate, who thought we were utter sh17 (we were) but picked out Ivan as being "really handy"

Imagine Korey Smith, except harder, with a bit more vision.  And shaven headed.  And Moldovan.  And much, much more scarey looking.

On 14/05/2019 at 23:26, fgrsimon said:

IIRC, Thorpe was recalled in the first post-Pulis game (Bournemouth) and scored twice.  He was quite pleased...

Archived