IGNORED

Sean Dyche says his time at Bristol City was disaster

Only here two years (fact check needed) , never fit. Had to compete with a young Carey and city's joint best centre back Shaun Taylor for position at centre back. 

Following season was our championship season where we went through centre backs like hot dinners. Taylor injured for 75% of it, Julian Watts, Mark shail, vilmos sebok, Sean dyche, Christian Edwards. Makes your body shiver. 

We signed 3 players from a Chesterfield side that had an amazing season the year before and I remember a couple of people saying it was a dangerous thing to do. They had 2 amazing cup runs and played over 60 games as I recall and I think they were all burnt out. 

The saddest one was Billy Mercer who would have been a great goalkeeper for us.

We recruited very badly at the time .

The club thought that they were buying instant success when they creamed off the best players from a highly successful Chesterfield side who narrowly missed out on an FA cup final.

What could go wrong ? 

Unfortunately it seems that the Spireites overplayed with their small squad and the three lads we signed, whilst top players , were never fit .

Dyche made 17 appearances in 2 years, Mercer, 25 in 3 seasons and the stalwart ,that was Paul Holland , managed a whopping 32 games but lasted only one season at the club.

The club have come on in leaps and bounds since those days .

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We signed 3 players from a Chesterfield side that had an amazing season the year before and I remember a couple of people saying it was a dangerous thing to do. They had 2 amazing cup runs and played over 60 games as I recall and I think they were all burnt out. 

We tried to sign a fourth - Kevin Davies - but he turned us down.  Had we bought him, that would have been the entire spine of that Chesterfield side.

35 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Totally agree. In the short time mercer played for us thought he was class. Would hav made a top keeper but was plagued with injury

20 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Ugh. The memory of him in a City shirt still gives me chills. And not in a good way

The memory of Paul Holland in a City shirt is what stops me going to KFC

• Admin
1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

According to an interview in one of Sundays papers,was he that bad?

Yes, oddly the same interview seems to get rolled out every year !

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

And he scored an own goal when he was here.

I can remember a cross coming into our box with him attempting to clear it, he did an air shot with his leg and the ball bounced off of his standing leg

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Well at least he made up for it by damaging a door here when he came back with millwall and lost.

The classic Lee Matthews debut with the four sendings off

He was very poor for us, but was never fit so I don’t want to judge him too harshly. Probably a better player than what we saw and the memory of him in a City shirt doesn’t make me shudder like with the likes of Nicky Hunt, McGivern, Foster, Bates etc. 

I wrote a letter to Dyche at the time when he was getting shit of the crowd at AG.

Basically saying for him to keep his head up and ignore the critics.

About 3 days later I received a hand written letter from him, thanking me and saying he was keen to play for our club, he admitted it hadn’t been the best of starts but was determined to make up for it. I’ve still got the letter.

It showed the character of the bloke, I imagine most footballers wouldn’t have bothered to reply.

He has certainly gone on to good things with his steely determination and leadership qualities.

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I wrote a letter to Dyche at the time when he was getting shit of the crowd at AG.

I bet when he received your letter @Portland Bill he was shit scared to open that envelope at the time !

I expect he was pleasantly surprised by its content

32 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

About 3 days later I received a hand written letter from him, thanking me and saying he was keen to play for our club, he admitted it hadn’t been the best of starts but was determined to make up for it. I’ve still got the letter.

It showed the character of the bloke, I imagine most footballers wouldn’t have bothered to reply.

He has certainly gone on to good things with his steely determination and leadership qualities.

You should've enclosed a packet of throat lozenges. He always sounds like he needs them.

2 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Possibly the worst defender I have seen play for City.....scratch that, not the worst defender but the worst form a defender has shown whilst playing for us. Everything he did went wrong and he came with a decent amount of hype.

He had a serious back injury the entire time he was at City and that injury eventually ended his career. It’s no surprise that  he struggled and unfortunately we never saw him fully fit.

Personally I think it’s harsh to judge Dyche as a player at City given the circumstances.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We recruited very badly at the time .

The club thought that they were buying instant success when they creamed off the best players from a highly successful Chesterfield side who narrowly missed out on an FA cup final.

What could go wrong ? 

Chesterfield beat us 2-0 at Saltergate in the FA Cup 3rd round that year, on their way to a semifinal defeat by Middlesbrough (we'd beaten St Albans 9-2 in the previous round!) so I guess that gave us first hand insight into the capabilities of Sean Dyche as a player. Despite that, we still bought him.

His view that his time at AG was a disaster only echoes my own.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He had a serious back injury the entire time he was at City and that injury eventually ended his career. It’s no surprise that  he struggled and unfortunately we never saw him fully fit.

Personally I think it’s harsh to judge Dyche as a player at City given the circumstances.

While some are harsh in their view of say, former players, Scottish football and transfer rumours. :shifty:

1 hour ago, phantom said:

The classic Lee Matthews debut with the four sendings off

Friday night, straight back from holiday. Great atmosphere that one- sure it was pouring with rain too, helped set the scene quite well. Were seats exchanged between respective 'fans'?

Last minute penalty by Matthews wasn't it?

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Friday night, straight back from holiday. Great atmosphere that one- sure it was pouring with rain too, helped set the scene quite well. Were seats exchanged between respective 'fans'?

Last minute penalty by Matthews wasn't it?

Yeah, seem to recall it was really wet, Matthews came off of the bench to score the last minute penalty.

Interesting discussion point, I always thought he signed on loan at the last minute the day of the game, but a friend of mine is adamant he signed the day before

Yup Millwall fans didn't seem to like their seats and seemed to want to offer them back to us

Archived