IGNORED

Sean Dyche says his time at Bristol City was disaster

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He had a serious back injury the entire time he was at City and that injury eventually ended his career. It’s no surprise that  he struggled and unfortunately we never saw him fully fit.

Personally I think it’s harsh to judge Dyche as a player at City given the circumstances.

He still managed to make 200 appearances for other clubs after he left us, reaching the play-offs for the Premiershipo with Millwall.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He still managed to make 200 appearances for other clubs after he left us, reaching the play-offs for the Premiershipo with Millwall.

He did and his post City record shows that he was a decent CB. We never saw him at his best. The back injury impaired him.

At Millwall he’d obviously recovered sufficiently to play on but eventually his back problems reoccurred and ended his career.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I can remember a cross coming into our box with him attempting to clear it, he did an air shot with his leg and the ball bounced off of his standing leg

That could have been against W.B.A. ?

After the air shot, he stumbled and fell into our net.

Lee Hughes (horrible ginger drink driving tosser), the one player NOBODY in red wanted to score, watched the ball roll towards him, two yards from the goal line, then had a simple tap in.

He then performed that shit dance celebration of his.

Dyche's performance that day was at Bas Savage's level.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

I wrote a letter to Dyche at the time when he was getting shit of the crowd at AG.

Basically saying for him to keep his head up and ignore the critics.

About 3 days later I received a hand written letter from him...

@Portland Bill - What is a "letter"???

Why the hell wouldn't you use WhatsApp or Twitter?

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Dyche had the worst debut I have ever witnessed. He was truly awful.

Pretty sure it was against oxford,,, 2.2, soren andersen 2 for us, 2 central defensive lapses from mr dyche, for them to score.... 

please correct me if im wrong??!!

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He did and his post City record shows that he was a decent CB. We never saw him at his best. The back injury impaired him.

At Millwall he’d obviously recovered sufficiently to play on but eventually his back problems reoccurred and ended his career.

Similar sort of time when the medical staff we had at the club were, without being too harsh, not very good? Brooker came a few years later but weren't his problems aggravated by misdiagnosis on the clubs part?

Could also have been that at Millwall he wasn't training as much/hard, and they set up a defence around him to cover his problems. I am only speculating though, so stand to be corrected if anybody knows any different.

There was certainly a period of time around then where we were either extremely unlucky with long term injury problems, or just not that good on the medical side - Dyche, Matthews, Mercer, Ribeiro, Brooker, and that's just the ones off the top of my head!!

47 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

I remember when he was substituted in one game and the crowd cheered and he clapped all sides in appreciation when, basically, most just wanted him off the pitch!   

Sure that was against W.B.A. as well (see above)

Ironically enough though, although it was the worst time of his playing career it was a great time for future-Burnley as it was while he was sidelined for us that he started going to watch games, taking detailed notes and it kick-started his path towards a career in management.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Similar sort of time when the medical staff we had at the club were, without being too harsh, not very good? Brooker came a few years later but weren't his problems aggravated by misdiagnosis on the clubs part?

Could also have been that at Millwall he wasn't training as much/hard, and they set up a defence around him to cover his problems. I am only speculating though, so stand to be corrected if anybody knows any different.

There was certainly a period of time around then where we were either extremely unlucky with long term injury problems, or just not that good on the medical side - Dyche, Matthews, Mercer, Ribeiro, Brooker, and that's just the ones off the top of my head!!

Buster Footman was the physio during that time............no coincidence that City had so many long term injuries.

He was dog 5hite and I normally like to look for the positives in a player but he was terrible. He was very good at pointing though, especially at the rest of his back four after yet another goal was needlessly conceded.

His partnership at the back with Julian [40] Watts where he was very apt at passing the buck will live long in the painful memory. Stephen McManus & Matthew Bates with a sprinkling of Lewin Nyatangle did a really good impersonation of the partnership in another relegation season.

Talking of Julian Watts, It was a constant source of merriment that when he left, his shirt was on the sale rack in the club shop for ages. No one dared to risk all of the pi55 taking to buy it.

I wonder if they ever did sell it. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

He had a serious back injury the entire time he was at City and that injury eventually ended his career. It’s no surprise that  he struggled and unfortunately we never saw him fully fit.

Personally I think it’s harsh to judge Dyche as a player at City given the circumstances.

I'd say it was harsh to call Gary Johnson a 'Conference' manager after he got us to within 90 minutes not the Premier League

All about opinions I guess

Robbo he was crap end of

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We signed 3 players from a Chesterfield side that had an amazing season the year before and I remember a couple of people saying it was a dangerous thing to do. They had 2 amazing cup runs and played over 60 games as I recall and I think they were all burnt out. 

The saddest one was Billy Mercer who would have been a great goalkeeper for us.

Yep, Mercer looked like he had the potential to be a superb ‘keeper - that was such a shame. And alongside the three players we signed from Chesterfield we also tried, and failed, to sign a fourth apparently - their centre forward Kevin Davies ...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, Mercer looked like he had the potential to be a superb ‘keeper - that was such a shame. And alongside the three players we signed from Chesterfield we also tried, and failed, to sign a fourth apparently - their centre forward Kevin Davies ...

Could have been very good for us- injuries notwithstanding.

17 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Im sure he did, but did he actually play because of his back? He was out for ages either way!

Will have to get one of the top notch stato folk to check that one. I don't recall him playing that much in the championship season to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Breaking news*************

Sean O'Driscoll's time at City was EVEN MORE of a disaster

As a player?

As a manager, he did ok. I see some of his terrible appointments included Pack and Flint. Both for peanuts.

He struggled for sure but because of the back injury he was carrying.

No Robbo he was just crap. Last game I saw him play he started pointing, screaming and fighting with one of his team mates while walking off at half time. That wasn't because he had a bad back !!  We signed him after he had one good game in Chesterfields cup run. For me he is up there with the Nicky Hunts of the game and best forgotten.

Archived