IGNORED

Sean Dyche says his time at Bristol City was disaster

Before he came to City he did well and was rated when injury free.  He was injured during his time at City and was the sort of player who would try and play through injuries.  The mistake was signing an injury prone player and playing an injured player. Without the injury I am sure he would have done as well as he did when injury free.  

https://www.cfchistory.com/sean-dyche

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Will have to get one of the top notch stato folk to check that one. I don't recall him playing that much in the championship season to be honest. 

Yes, its 20 years ago! I clearly remember the ball  going under his foot as he tried to control it, and oxford running through and scoring, and then him being booed for it!

13 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Yes, its 20 years ago! I clearly remember the ball  going under his foot as he tried to control it, and oxford running through and scoring, and then him being booed for it!

That was the one home game I missed that season. 

16 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Wasn’t helped by the plonker we paired with him, Julian Watts signed from Leicester, and that we had no Tommy D to guard the back 4 that season. 

11 hours ago, Swede said:

Talking of Julian Watts, It was a constant source of merriment that when he left, his shirt was on the sale rack in the club shop for ages. No one dared to risk all of the pi55 taking to buy it.

I wonder if they ever did sell it. 

Talking of Julian Watts. I got to know him pretty well when he played for Northern Spirit in Sydney and he was a great lad. When I first met him I told him I was a massive City fan but had never seen him play. His response was "thank **** for that". He later added "it was great having Dychie alongside me, as he made me look good!"

On 14/05/2019 at 11:49, phantom said:

Yeah, seem to recall it was really wet, Matthews came off of the bench to score the last minute penalty.

Interesting discussion point, I always thought he signed on loan at the last minute the day of the game, but a friend of mine is adamant he signed the day before

Yup Millwall fans didn't seem to like their seats and seemed to want to offer them back to us

Great evening that was - last minute winner and I think the Wall redecorated the away dressing room with their fans removing a fair few seats in the east end. 

Anyway. Matthews deffo signed on loan first - see here....http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/1228346.stm

On 14/05/2019 at 19:42, bcfcnick said:

Nicky Hunt retains the trophy for the worst ever player to have played the game professionally.  He didn't have injury as an excuse either.

Maybe not a physical one, anyway. You never know what someone is going through mentally. 

No he wasn't a diaster. He was an utter diabolical catastrophe. Star man at chesterfield i think it was who were possibly league below so as usual city buy cheap and yeah he was ao crap it is unreal. So to all you younger fans which from your question sounds like you are, remember why some fans just dont have energy to sing or they leave 5 minites before half time for a beer or they leave 5 minutes before end of game or theh boo. Theyve been there and seen it all and after donkeys years of supporting they get a little tired and frustrated these days. Not me? just saying people have every right to do whatever they do in response to the way city play. Pay your money, make your choice

7 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

No he wasn't a diaster. He was an utter diabolical catastrophe. Star man at chesterfield i think it was who were possibly league below so as usual city buy cheap and yeah he was ao crap it is unreal. 

Carried a serious back injury throughout his time at City and was never fully fit. No surprise that he didn’t impress and some posters simply forget that.

After he’d moved to Millwall be was fully recovered and did well there reaching the pray off final. That tells you that Dyche was a decent CB when fully fit!

He certainly wasn’t a Gus Ceaser !!

Was great for Chesterfield in their cup run and was injured a bit and never hit the heights . Think it was Joe Jordan who bought him and he was after Kevin Davies but we couldn’t get him 

14 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

No he wasn't a diaster. He was an utter diabolical catastrophe. Star man at chesterfield i think it was who were possibly league below so as usual city buy cheap and yeah he was ao crap it is unreal. So to all you younger fans which from your question sounds like you are, remember why some fans just dont have energy to sing or they leave 5 minites before half time for a beer or they leave 5 minutes before end of game or theh boo. Theyve been there and seen it all and after donkeys years of supporting they get a little tired and frustrated these days. Not me? just saying people have every right to do whatever they do in response to the way city play. Pay your money, make your choice

Funny how he was a regular in a reasonable Watford side between 2002-2005, so 3 seasons at Championship. Oh and Millwall in a playoff season- level above- funny that!

May he the problem was with us back then- coaching, management- and of course in his case, injury.

Or maybe, or maybe- more than likely- it's just football- but it's fair to say he eventually went onto better things for a few seasons after he left us.

Of those Chesterfield players, we really wanted Kevin Davies but he turned us down and went to the Premier League shortly afterwards.

Billy Mercer was a top signing. A very gifted goalkeeper who would've gone on to be a real hit. Shame about the injuries.

Paul Holland was an average midfield player who seemed to be constantly battling with his weight.

Sean Dyche was a disaster. Yes I get he had injury problems but he was like a fish out of water & that partnership with (40) Watts was dreadful. With Dyche, and the type of character he is, I would have expected a no nonsense brave, hard man who led by example and one who demands nothing less from his team mates, a positive leader of the team. Even half fit I was expecting that type of player, unfortunately he was the polar opposite. Never liked the bloke after that.

18 hours ago, Swede said:

Of those Chesterfield players, we really wanted Kevin Davies but he turned us down and went to the Premier League shortly afterwards.

Billy Mercer was a top signing. A very gifted goalkeeper who would've gone on to be a real hit. Shame about the injuries.

Paul Holland was an average midfield player who seemed to be constantly battling with his weight.

Sean Dyche was a disaster. Yes I get he had injury problems but he was like a fish out of water & that partnership with (40) Watts was dreadful. With Dyche, and the type of character he is, I would have expected a no nonsense brave, hard man who led by example and one who demands nothing less from his team mates, a positive leader of the team. Even half fit I was expecting that type of player, unfortunately he was the polar opposite. Never liked the bloke after that.

IIRC we had a fee agreed for Davies but a couple of days before we were due to sign him he banged in a hat trick in the cup away at Bolton (?) and his price doubled overnight.

Archived