IGNORED

Accrington Stanley Owner - Worth a Read (Twitter)

Davefevs

For those of you not on Twitter:

This one is going to bore many, I will keep it as simple as I can...

I took over @ASFCofficial not because I loved it, supported it, nor was I a particular football fan. I’ve had a table @ManUtd so that says a lot about me ?.

Accrington, a founder member of the football league was about to lose its club AGAIN.

When I reluctantly took the job on, I knew that patching up the club was a waste of time. I knew that unless the outcome was a decent long term future, it might as well have died then. I have dealt with many issues in our club, it is now generating more cash and slowly but surely, facilities are improving, to further facilitate this.

We are profitable and have net assets rather than liabilities.

I have grown to love the little club, wasn’t intentional, it was strictly business. The club is more than a game of football. It’s a beating heart of its community. A community I have grown to love, decent hardworking folk. They don’t care about razzmatazz, they care about each other and their club.

An analogy I’ll use is this, you look after your kids, giving them as great start in life, then you look at their future and question the world they’re growing up in.

It’s natural.

It’s up to us parents to ENSURE that there’s a bright future for our kids.

That is OUR JOB as parents.

So, as well as looking at the health of our club, I have to look at the health of football.

And it’s shocking. 

Football is in a worse state than @ASFCofficial ever was. In fact football would have stood idly by and let us go bust AGAIN.

The @EFL @FA @premierleague @PFA and whoever else is responsible for our game, DO NOT like me saying this publicly. I’ve had letters telling me of their powers to sanction me or our club:

But let me say one thing clearly.

@OfficialBWFC have not gone into admin because I tweet concerns.

@buryfcofficial are not on their arse because I tweet concerns.

@thesilkmen @ReadingFC @SUFCRootsHall @oldham and many others (allegedly) are not paying wages at all, or have been late paying, because I tweet concerns.

@Official_NCFC a founder member, have not gone out of @EFL because of my tweeting concerns.

@BlackpoolFC fans have not gone years absent from their club because of my tweeting concerns.

@BCFC have not been deducted 9 points because I tweet concerns.

@SkyBetChamp clubs are not losing over HALF A BILLION a year because I tweet concerns.

@CAFCofficial supporters are not placarding @EFL with @Coventry_City and @BlackpoolFC fans because of me. Tweeting concerns.

Supporters are not boycotting games in @CheckatradeTrpy because of me tweeting concerns.

@SkyBetChamp clubs were not threatening a breakaway because. I tweet concerns.

I could go on for another hour on this.

The fact is all the above and much more is down to you @EFL @premierleague @FA 

IT’S YOUR responsibility. 

IT’S YOUR JOB to manage and protect the framework our clubs should thrive in.

The fact is, I’m tweeting my concerns, because you are failing my club and all the others.

The fact is, you can’t hide from the mess that has been created in our game.

Who else can be responsible???

There is no one to voice concerns to!!

Might as well talk to the wall.

We need to talk EXISTENTIAL THREATS to our game.

The first threat is inaction by the bodies looking after our clubs and football’s long term health and well being, not doing their jobs properly.

I’m going for a brew now and may start with the rest of the threats later. ?

Fair play to him, that is a fantastic thread. The football league and premier league are clearly failing in their duties to promote financial sustainability. I can't imagine how hard it must be to operate or own a League Two club in the north west with some massive Premier League clubs on your doorstep and the amount of football which is televised these days. It can't be long before more of these historic clubs at the bottom of the ladder cease to exist. 

Lower League clubs have always had financial issues, however it seems to have got worse once again lately and possibly worse than before? Certainly seems that way in modern times!

Mix of money flowing up, players priced out- but wages not falling totally in line with income flowing down, which perhaps also helps accounts for the bad or inept owners at an increasing number of clubs. On that note, the EFL have to take a lot of the blame but I saw a quote from Shaun Harvey which basically suggested that for a lot of clubs it is a choice between bad owners or no owners at all. Some truth perhaps, but depressing- and that's even notwithstanding Shaun Harvey being Shaun Harvey.

Andy Holt is an excellent read though, tells it as it is.

It is now being reported that a food bank has been set up for Bolton employees who haven't been paid. I don't imagine the EFL gives a monkeys about that. Far more important to make sure the likes of Derby can game the system without consequences.

More power to this man's elbow I say but he'll be a lone voice.

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Read that a local club- believed to be Preston- sent in £2k of food vouchers.

For all their at times shithousing tactics under Neill, always considered them to be a good club off it- their fans on here, good posters too.

Don’t mention food vouchers on here!!!

I do fear for the game. Perhaps it genuinely needs a true biggie to go bust?

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sadly Dave I think that is the only way anything will change.

Ffp rules were designed to stop clubs being financially profligate and jeopardising their future, but the EFL then appears too weak to apply those rules when clubs like Derby and Villa break them, or indulge in financial smoke and mirrors to circumvent those same rules.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

It is now being reported that a food bank has been set up for Bolton employees who haven't been paid. I don't imagine the EFL gives a monkeys about that. Far more important to make sure the likes of Derby can game the system without consequences.

More power to this man's elbow I say but he'll be a lone voice.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Read that a local club- believed to be Preston- sent in £2k of food vouchers.

Ironically, if that is the correct word, Andy Holt was involved in a dispute with the EFL when he started buying McDonalds for his players when they won a match - apparently this was not part of their pre-agreed contractual bonus payments....

17 minutes ago, Chappers said:

And yet on every club forum, there will be fans demanding that their club invests big money, to take them to the promised land.

Good thing that doesn't happen on here :whistle2:

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Ironically, if that is the correct word, Andy Holt was involved in a dispute with the EFL when he started buying McDonalds for his players when they won a match - apparently this was not part of their pre-agreed contractual bonus payments....

It was KFC in the contracts if they won.

McDonalds  if they lost!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Could be the case, sadly. 

Things change and can change fast- those clubs top of the tree, and I certainly don't wish it on the fans- hypothetical time. Looking at the 2 devil's advocate here.

If tomorrow there was without wishing to go political, a revolution in UAE, or perhaps if Abramovich suddenly fell foul of Putin...that would suddenly become a real possibility for a certain 2 clubs. Would it provide a serious wakeup call to the game?

Read on another thread apparently Southgate said love the game, hate the business or words to that effect- agree with him wholly.

On the gap thing, worth a reminder- I know free market etc. Just googled it.

PL TV deal 3 years from 2016/17 to this season. Just the domestic rights this is.

£5.136bn.

I don't know, can't find what the last one was worth but £595m from next season to May 2024, 5 years- total to EFL.

All began in 1992 with PL, before that with the Big 5 wanting a TV breakaway, and before that even with the gate receipts distribution change.

Archived