IGNORED

LJ - Coaches' Voice

Ben4BCFC

Apologies if this has already been shared, but saw it on twitter today and haven't seen a forum post on it AFAIA

https://www.coachesvoice.com/lee-johnson-bristol-city-oldham-athletic/

Very interesting read, particularly the line presumably about Tomlin's activities behind the scenes.

Not the first time he's been on Coaches' Voice btw, he also had a video on there a while ago when he talked about his tactics vs Man United, which was an interesting watch for those who haven't seen it.

Cheers. Interesting to hear how tight the money was at Oldham. Interesting to hear about the competitiveness with his dad - surely getting us promoted would be his ultimate "win" against his old man? Interesting as well to hear about his attitude to the younger players. 

I and others criticise him sometimes for seemingly not fully committing to the younger players. You look at how Morrell, Eisa, Eliasson, even Semenyo have been treated, how they all seem to be on this infamously tough learning curve, all struggling to impress LJ enough to be allowed some scraps of first team minutes. Seems to be at odds with what he says here, that Bristol City are "desperately trying to nurture and develop our young players.". Perhaps though he sees this happening off the pitch, and fears throwing them in too early. Patience may prove wise in the long term, but you have to think that next season is the big one for many of our younger charges.

Johnson out?

Bristol Sport is ruining our club?

Lansdown cares more about the egg chasing?

Are these still OTIB? 

If not, nay bother.  

I enjoyed the read. Not much surprise on what he says about Bristol City. I’m behind him; always have been ??

Thanks for posting.

Interesting that his time at Barnsley gets half a sentence. And that there was feuding in the squad when he took over here, given that the group was always said to be tightly knit.

It would be nice to have more on the details of coaching though.

Either his life story interviews are blurring into one, or Coaches Voice are republishing that as I could swear I've read that exact same interview word for word before. 

Edit - they are: 

8 hours ago, Ben4BCFC said:

Apologies if this has already been shared, but saw it on twitter today and haven't seen a forum post on it AFAIA

https://www.coachesvoice.com/lee-johnson-bristol-city-oldham-athletic/

Very interesting read, particularly the line presumably about Tomlin's activities behind the scenes.

Where did he mention Tomlin? 

I must have missed that...............:cool2:

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Cheers. Interesting to hear how tight the money was at Oldham. Interesting to hear about the competitiveness with his dad - surely getting us promoted would be his ultimate "win" against his old man? Interesting as well to hear about his attitude to the younger players. 

I and others criticise him sometimes for seemingly not fully committing to the younger players. You look at how Morrell, Eisa, Eliasson, even Semenyo have been treated, how they all seem to be on this infamously tough learning curve, all struggling to impress LJ enough to be allowed some scraps of first team minutes. Seems to be at odds with what he says here, that Bristol City are "desperately trying to nurture and develop our young players.". Perhaps though he sees this happening off the pitch, and fears throwing them in too early. Patience may prove wise in the long term, but you have to think that next season is the big one for many of our younger charges.

One thing I have noticed with Johnson is, much as I share your frustration with younger players not getting more of a look in, I rarely get a sense those players themselves feel hard done by in being left out. The players on the fringes seem - publicly at least - more focussed on fighting for a chance than sulking on the sidelines or angling for a move. It makes me suspect he communicates with them quite well about what his plans are for them and that they are wanted, even if it is not always as apparent to us as fans.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Thanks for posting.

Interesting that his time at Barnsley gets half a sentence. And that there was feuding in the squad when he took over here, given that the group was always said to be tightly knit.

It would be nice to have more on the details of coaching though.

The "feuding" he refers to is in his "first full season" here, so therefore it means Tomlin. And any others that sided with him against the coach, or the L1 boys, if indeed they did (and that is what happened). Lee neglects to mention that his recruitment of Tomlin was a spectacular error (but one I am sure he has learned and benefitted from), that he was in part responsible for the problem, was unable to manage the problem (until finally washing his hands of him post Preston 0:5), and had Warnock to thank for resolving the problem. He bit off more than he could chew, with Lee Tomlin.

This piece gives us broad generalisations - "We had to make some tough decisions;" "confidence levels can drop" - and little in the way of revealing insight. The bit referring to us, certainly. I notice how Lee mentions a player he brought to Oldham and turned a fine profit, then mentions Tarkowski being sold - a player he did not recruit, and who left after little more than half a season under his management. That might be down to editing, or it might be down to the "sales pitch" that Lee cites, and is clearly very good at. He is putting an "LJ" spin on things, and that is fine, and all very normal, but not particularly revealing or, for me, interesting.

The truly interesting, and revealing, would be a willingness of his part to admit to errors, and personal failings, to be vulnerable and honest, to putting flesh on the bones of "we had some internal feud problems" as well as the self-praise, to have both, but no-one does that in football. 

We will have to wait until Lee is older, and writing his memoir, perhaps, before Lee can maybe go there - to that vulnerability, that "I thought I could handle Tomlin, but I couldn't. I should never have bought him/caved in to the crowd" honesty - but it is, let's be clear, a difficult place to go.

Reading the article you can see how meticulously everything is planned out.  My criticism of LJ has been his in game management, dealing with evolving situations that take us go off plan during 90 mins.  As a young coach he excels at doing the ground work, you certainly can’t knock his preparation but he lacks the in game experience that comes with time.  I think he’s slowly learning, I still think the city job was a few years too early for him , iron out the inexperience lower down the league, but with each season he’s becoming more experienced so I’m looking forward to everyone’s patience being rewarded in the near future.

55 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The "feuding" he refers to is in his "first full season" here, so therefore it means Tomlin. And any others that sided with him against the coach, or the L1 boys, if indeed they did (and that is what happened). Lee neglects to mention that his recruitment of Tomlin was a spectacular error (but one I am sure he has learned and benefitted from), that he was in part responsible for the problem, was unable to manage the problem (until finally washing his hands of him post Preston 0:5), and had Warnock to thank for resolving the problem. He bit off more than he could chew, with Lee Tomlin.

This piece gives us broad generalisations - "We had to make some tough decisions;" "confidence levels can drop" - and little in the way of revealing insight. The bit referring to us, certainly. I notice how Lee mentions a player he brought to Oldham and turned a fine profit, then mentions Tarkowski being sold - a player he did not recruit, and who left after little more than half a season under his management. That might be down to editing, or it might be down to the "sales pitch" that Lee cites, and is clearly very good at. He is putting an "LJ" spin on things, and that is fine, and all very normal, but not particularly revealing or, for me, interesting.

The truly interesting, and revealing, would be a willingness of his part to admit to errors, and personal failings, to be vulnerable and honest, to putting flesh on the bones of "we had some internal feud problems" as well as the self-praise, to have both, but no-one does that in football. 

We will have to wait until Lee is older, and writing his memoir, perhaps, before Lee can maybe go there - to that vulnerability, that "I thought I could handle Tomlin, but I couldn't. I should never have bought him/caved in to the crowd" honesty - but it is, let's be clear, a difficult place to go.

Tomlin has been a pain in the arse everywhere he has ever been including with much more experienced managers and I can't see any of them saying they couldn't handle him so I also can't see LJ ever saying that - probably because it's not true. He gave Tomlin chance after chance and got rid when it was clear Tomlin couldn't change to me that is handling Tomlin quite well. 

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Tomlin has been a pain in the arse everywhere he has ever been including with much more experienced managers and I can't see any of them saying they couldn't handle him so I also can't see LJ ever saying that - probably because it's not true. He gave Tomlin chance after chance and got rid when it was clear Tomlin couldn't change to me that is handling Tomlin quite well. 

Where in the article did LJ name Tomlin? 

Posters are assuming that the feuding LJ refers to was down to LT but I’ve never heard LJ point the finger at any player and at Senior Reds LJ was asked about LT and he said that ‘he’s a lovely lad, no problem at all but the travelling became too much and  he had issues at home’..............:dunno:

He certainly didn’t give the impression that LT was a disruptive influence.

After , cough , tearing it up at Posh , Lee Tomlin heads back to Cardiff.

Despite his statements about getting fit , he never did and the consensus at London Rd appears to be that he will be no great loss. 

Will he ever do himself or another football club justice ?

I doubt it .

Who was it said that some blokes just love the life of a footballer but don’t like actually playing football ?

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

After , cough , tearing it up at Posh , Lee Tomlin heads back to Cardiff.

Despite his statements about getting fit , he never did and the consensus at London Rd appears to be that he will be no great loss. 

Will he ever do himself or another football club justice ?

I doubt it .

Who was it said that some blokes just love the life of a footballer but don’t like actually playing football ?

Gary Johnson I think.

6 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Thanks for this. So the story that Tomlin got a round of applause when he walked into the dressing room after signing permanently is not true I assume.

As you say, football managers aren't prone to admitting errors and you rarely get real insight from interviews.

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thanks for this. So the story that Tomlin got a round of applause when he walked into the dressing room after signing permanently is not true I assume.

As you say, football managers aren't prone to admitting errors and you rarely get real insight from interviews.

That may have been the case . What happened subsequently could have changed the opinion of his teammates.

Putting aside the rumours of LT bullying the youngsters and acting Billy Bignuts , he never got fit enough to play the game correctly and constantly berated the others who were doing his running around.

Throw in the fact that he didn’t move down to Bristol as was , apparently, agreed in his contract and you can start to form a picture of the type of negative influence his presence had on the club.

I was delighted when we signed him , it showed that we were serious. A record fee and getting the deal over the line .

He was a big disappointment .

Archived