IGNORED

Jeremy Kyle Show

Super

Quite rightly imo. It's a shame that it took a death for people to see exactly what it is. The stories now coming to light confirm all suspicions, and I strongly suspect this isn't the first time someone appearing on the show has been driven close to the edge from the public humiliation that it is. Add in to the mix the fallacy of 'lie detector' tests and the fact that statistically they will have got some wrong on there - despite the fact that the show lead regular viewers into believing they are somehow so accurate that they should be used in court! Good riddance.

• Admin

It's a strange show that I have never really been that interested in myself

But I would say that the people going on the show know what it is all about and they are hardly going into the unknown

The show apparently has done a lot of good things, getting people into rehab, re-united families etc etc

I would be intrigued what the fallout is like on a show like this, when I have seen it there have been some god almighty rows on there, that when people go back home must divide families / communities etc 

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's a strange show that I have never really been that interested in myself

But I would say that the people going on the show know what it is all about and they are hardly going into the unknown

The show apparently has done a lot of good things, getting people into rehab, re-united families etc etc

I would be intrigued what the fallout is like on a show like this, when I have seen it there have been some god almighty rows on there, that when people go back home must divide families / communities etc 

If it genuinely was a show that was rehab-focused as a priority and entertainment-focused afterwards I would agree, but it's just not the case.

The workers on the show were encouraged to hassle potential participants, with a list of mental illnesses that were too far (i.e. schizophrenia) but a list of mental illnesses which were 'perfect' for the show (i.e. those using prozac), not too mad but not too boring. Then they wheel them out, humiliate them nationally and offer them support as an afterthought. Fact is, though they knew what it was all about, they were most likely not in the right mental state to be able to make that decision safely for themselves.

Nah I'm sorry, they will position it as if they were doing good for the community but first and foremost it was an opportunity to wheel out the vulnerable and have the nation laugh at them. 

this sort of grotesque programme is the reason I go to work in the mornings (to get away from it).  There is to my mind though a slight element of hypocrisy in the clamour to get it removed from the schedules after the unfortunate death of a participant - the same channel is championing the next series of Love Island, a show that has thus far resulted in two suicides (be it directly or indirectly)

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Quite rightly imo. It's a shame that it took a death for people to see exactly what it is. The stories now coming to light confirm all suspicions, and I strongly suspect this isn't the first time someone appearing on the show has been driven close to the edge from the public humiliation that it is. Add in to the mix the fallacy of 'lie detector' tests and the fact that statistically they will have got some wrong on there - despite the fact that the show lead regular viewers into believing they are somehow so accurate that they should be used in court! Good riddance.

The lie detectors are "92% accurate", that's nearly 1/10 wrong! Madness how it is given as fact when it is so inaccurate.

24 minutes ago, Unan said:

The lie detectors are "92% accurate", that's nearly 1/10 wrong! Madness how it is given as fact when it is so inaccurate.

Exactly. And I strongly suspect the real accuracy is not even that high. Their final judgment will almost certainly be the polygraph results mixed with psychologists' assessments rather than the polygraph alone. And I expect those employees are encouraged to lean towards the more 'dramatic' result, judging by the culture that seemed to permeate from that show.

• Admin
51 minutes ago, Unan said:

That is really shocking to me, reading about how this guy reacted during filming he was either convinced he had done no wrong or reacted to the fact that the truth was out.

But it does make me wonder if this ties in heavily with the reason the show has been axed

1 hour ago, Unan said:

But Love Island will air in a few weeks. In the few short years it's been on 2 participants have already committed suicide since.

Exactly!

Why is it one rule for one show thats been on for 14yrs, and before him we had Ricki Lake/Trisha... Robert Kilroy. One death and its all over.

Love Island, 2 participants committed suicide and this show will still go on like WTF? Why hasnt Love Island been pulled?

• Admin
4 hours ago, Unan said:

Really, there were some studies revealed on R5 yesterday, one study claiming 51% accuracy and one claiming 65%. - either way not much better than tossing a coin.

An absolute blight on the airwaves, good riddance to it.

The Victorians used to have travelling circuses that often included some sort of 'freak show'. It strikes me that the same ethos is here in the twenty-first century with these sorts of public shows. They were divisive and ignorant in that time, pandering to certain tastes. Little changed until the light was shone on it, be it the Elephant Man or the Kyle Show...

I’ve watched it now and again over the years. On occasions it’s been quite good, supporting cancer patients and getting people drug or alcohol rehab. But there has been some bloody awful stuff whipped up for the tv audience too.

A couple of years ago it was really rare for guests to get so upset that they would storm off and Kyle would chase them around the building ‘coaxing’ them back, I’ve noticed more recently just about every guest now seems expected to storm off and he gets really confrontational with them, he called running after them the ‘Kyle Olympics’ and protests he not chasing after people anymore before off he goes.

I think ratings may have been on the slide, well once you seen a couple of hundred people the problems just repeat themselves I guess, and he was under pressure to ever push the boundaries. I’m certainly not saying this was a good thing but it is tv afterall, there to entertain as far as they are concerned. I’m not making light of people’s problems either, but I’m sure half of them are set up, and if you really had a problem a tv show isn’t the place to sort it.

Just ******* depressing exploitative crap.

Only seen parts of episodes but always imagined it was like American Wrestling from the little I’ve seen and all faked/acted.

******* appalling it was real.

Lie detectors are utter tripe, almost up there with crystal ball levels of bollocks.  And something tells me the Kyle show didn’t have the greatest of psychologists etc working with them.

Im asking a lot i know, but does anybody remember the episode with the love triangle from hartcliffe.

The ginger guy who lost gets on the 75 bus all the time with the feel of a film star about him.

Its took me years but we are on nodding terms now.

Clarkson. paxton, kyle. corbyn, why is everyone with this name a total nause?

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I’ve been trying to think of decent Jeremys and it really is a struggle.

All I have is Renner and Irons. But for all I know they are arseholes in real life.

When I worked in Stevenage there was a survey that came out that showed that more people from the town had been on the show than any other.

The worst of it was, the locals were ******* proud of it!

6 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I’ve been trying to think of decent Jeremys and it really is a struggle.

All I have is Renner and Irons. But for all I know they are arseholes in real life.

Brett? Jeremy Hardy seemed a nice bloke too.

• Admin
11 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im asking a lot i know, but does anybody remember the episode with the love triangle from hartcliffe.

The ginger guy who lost gets on the 75 bus all the time with the feel of a film star about him.

Its took me years but we are on nodding terms now.

Thorpe was a nasty piece of work as well....

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Jeremy from rainbow with the yellow dungerees was ok.

Pretty sure the guy with sooty and sweep was called jeremy too?

As far as i know they havent been arrested for any historical crimes.

Rainbow was Geoffrey.

Sooty and Sweep was either Harry or Matthew Corbett depending on how old you are.

Archived