IGNORED

Leeds v FLDC (Merged)

Super

24 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Is there any way that they could both lose?

On a serious note, I hope who does lose gets absolutely hammered by the EFL on FFP.

Not holding my breath, but you can hope.

Will be a travesty if that does happen. Not because the offending club should not be punished, but because any offence should have been identified well before the season end and the appropriate punishment given then. 

Retrospective punishment will only prove that the EFL did not have the balls to take a club out of the play offs by making a points deduction.

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Will be a travesty if that does happen. Not because the offending club should not be punished, but because any offence should have been identified well before the season end and the appropriate punishment given then. 

Retrospective punishment will only prove that the EFL did not have the balls to take a club out of the play offs by making a points deduction.

The balls or the competence...or both?

I consider it to be a bit of both personally, but yeah it's a disgrace and a travesty as you rightly say.

14 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I would rest easy fella, in all likelihood it won’t happen regardless of who loses the final.

One thing though, if I am right about neither being punished,  Brum should sue the EFL, There has to be consistency in FFP, the rules are either enforced regardless of the club, or we just forget the whole thing.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The balls or the competence...or both?

I consider it to be a bit of both personally, but yeah it's a disgrace and a travesty as you rightly say.

Given the contents of this thread over weeks   and months, how many are feeling their blood boil seeing Derby and Villa getting into the play offs and now getting to the final?

The real sting in the tail is that one of them will get promoted to the premier league, thereby proving that cheats do prosper and that the financial rewards of promotion make it worth a club's while to risk ffp breaches - I suspect because both these "big" clubs made a calculated gamble on the EFL's incompetence and/or lack of balls to act against them.

This being the case, Im hoping that Steve Gibson tries a different tack ( rather thanking for publication of other club;s accounts) and garners support for some sort of group action against the EFL demanding they act according to their own ffp rules or else tear them up, as the situation has become farcical. I have a feeling that SL would be up for such a fight.

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Given the contents of this thread over weeks   and months, how many are feeling their blood boil seeing Derby and Villa getting into the play offs and now getting to the final?

The real sting in the tail is that one of them will get promoted to the premier league, thereby proving that cheats do prosper and that the financial rewards of promotion make it worth a club's while to risk ffp breaches - I suspect because both these "big" clubs made a calculated gamble on the EFL's incompetence and/or lack of balls to act against them.

This being the case, Im hoping that Steve Gibson tries a different tack ( rather thanking for publication of other club;s accounts) and garners support for some sort of group action against the EFL demanding they act according to their own ffp rules or else tear them up, as the situation has become farcical. I have a feeling that SL would be up for such a fight.

Fully agree.

Could even be worth enlisting Birmingham- they should take it to the CAS and demand to have produced the accounts of these 2 and even possibly Sheffield Wednesday. Because if they have been punished and a double standard applied, the EFL would have some serious questions to answer.

Otherwise yes, they should tear them up- any punishment for a similar breach let alone a smaller, less flagrant one would be discriminatory.

29 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

No just being realistic we are a team punching above there weight so just got to enjoy it while we are there 

so you think there is more chance of us dropping 14 places than climbing at least 2?

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I would rest easy fella, in all likelihood it won’t happen regardless of who loses the final.

One thing though, if I am right about neither being punished,  Brum should sue the EFL, There has to be consistency in FFP, the rules are either enforced regardless of the club, or we just forget the whole thing.

The problem seems to be that Birmingham were proven to be in breach, so were given a transfer embargo. The points deduction this time around was because they aggravated the original breach. With Villa and  Derby, while there is strong suspicion that one or both have breached ffp, we have no no conclusive proof.

Birmingham were proved to be guilty of a breach but Derby and Villa have not been.

I'd hoped that the new rules and punishments would at last see ffp properly administered and breaches identified and properly punished, but all we've ended up with is a fudge. As a result, if it is to continue and to have the effect for which it was designed , it strikes me there has to be greater transparency, in that clubs must publish a detailed breakdown of their accounts and their projected accounts must be provided by a deadline. 

Issues like Derby's owner's sale of the ground to himself, need to be forensically examined and if constructive accounting is found to be used, then any penalties awarded for a breach should be ramped up for such jiggery pokery. To enable this, the EFL must employ financial experts capable of identifying and  dealing with the clever accounting devices club will doubtless employ to circumvent the rules, because, at the moment, as Mr P suggest, they appear incompetent and it is all to easy for clubs to walk all over them.

Will this happen? The cynic in me thinks the EFL are paying lip service to the issue of financial fair play to show they are taking action, but when push comes to shove they are not really prepared to rock the boat, and especially when it comes to confronting the big players in the championship.

53 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

otherwise known as us not all following the sky love in of both villa and derby...

i don't think it's a Sky love-in. This isn't a plot by them. The reality is, Villa have a huge fan base and long history, whilst Derby (while having a rich past) also have struck the zeitgeist for the numbnut Sky generation through their appointment of Lampard. It's not rocket science to realize that both make for decent ratings. Maybe this comes as a surprise, but Sky and the other TV companies aren't in this out of love for the game, they are there to make money out of football. The insane, disturbing amount of money they flush into the game, they get back. And, right now, Derby and Villa are good for their buck. We aren't. Love-in, my arse. 

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Absolutely gutted on the results last night and tonight.

I wanted the Baggies to win it like everyone else.

On the arrogance levels shown IMO it was Villa the worst, then Derby, then Leeds.

I’ve come to hate Villa so much, what a vile club, with the biggest bunch of arrogant, self-entitled, bellends I’ve ever seen.

Derby are not far behind though, so it’s a ******* shite final. I won’t be watching, but as one of them have to win, it’s Derby for me.

I suppose the only consolation is one of them will be staying down, and fingers crossed FFP will be looked at to wipe the arrogance of their smug faces.

Whilst watching the Aston Villa celebrations last night I noticed that pretty much all the players were celebrating individually, or just off in their own little groups celebrating. There was no huge team celebrations like we saw with Derby tonight, or like you see with most teams.

They celebrated like that because like you said they are self entitled, arrogant, bellends. A team full of individuals.

I'd put my money on Derby to win as out of the two they are more of a team and I think you need that in the final. 

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

so you think there is more chance of us dropping 14 places than climbing at least 2?

Until we address the midfield and striker positions we will come up short again. I also think the home form needs to massively improve because I don't think we will be anywhere near 11 away wins next season

31 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Until we address the midfield and striker positions we will come up short again. I also think the home form needs to massively improve because I don't think we will be anywhere near 11 away wins next season

you haven't answered the question...

7 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I thought the atmosphere at Elland Road was electric. Much better than you get at Ashton Gate!

While I wanted Leeds to go through, I'm happy for Frank Lampard. You'd be hard pushed to find a nicer, more intelligent man in football.

The way that Derby approached the game at Ashton Gate changed my opinion of Lampard. I don't think he is that nice at all. Yes all sweetness and smiles on camera. Getting his team to cheat a la Warnock when off camera.

7 hours ago, poland_exile said:

i don't think it's a Sky love-in. This isn't a plot by them. The reality is, Villa have a huge fan base and long history, whilst Derby (while having a rich past) also have struck the zeitgeist for the numbnut Sky generation through their appointment of Lampard. It's not rocket science to realize that both make for decent ratings. Maybe this comes as a surprise, but Sky and the other TV companies aren't in this out of love for the game, they are there to make money out of football. The insane, disturbing amount of money they flush into the game, they get back. And, right now, Derby and Villa are good for their buck. We aren't. Love-in, my arse. 

I watched SSN at the end of the game last night. 

Clinton Morrison compared Lampard's win (not Derby's) to Liverpool's and Spurs', he stated that Lampard had reformed Derby County and said that nobody had expected them to be anywhere near the play offs at the start of the season (bit odd when they were in them last season) and said that the nation can't wait for Terry v Lampard in the final...

If that isn't a love in then I don't know what is

23 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Clinton Morrison compared Lampard's win (not Derby's) to Liverpool's and Spurs', he stated that Lampard had reformed Derby County and said that nobody had expected them to be anywhere near the play offs at the start of the season (bit odd when they were in them last season) and said that the nation can't wait for Terry v Lampard in the final...

Clinton Morrison comes on - I turn off.

A Leeds fan view after last night! ?

“I ve been watching the same s**t happen since the 70"s interspersed with the odd success. We bottle it time after time mate, get used to it. Things will never change in fact I believe this was probably our best shot at it.
Look forward to middle table mediocrity.”

13 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Clinton Morrison comes on - I turn off.

Having heard him on Talksport, I can only assume he got the job without having to audition.

36 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Excuse me?! You can count me out of that.

I was listening to Talksport and they were full of it too, I had to turn off. It was all about JT and FL… We're not all celebrity obsessed morons, thank you! Yes, forget all about the players etc…oh yes, and football :grr:

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

That is Clinton Morrison who is a thick *** who hardly represents the Sky corporation.

Archived