IGNORED

Has the standard of the Championship improved ?

Major Isewater

Oddly enough not one of last year’s clubs relegated from the Prem bounced straight back up does this mean that the Championship is closer to the top level than in previous years ?

Of the three relegated clubs only WBA  made and lost in the play offs .

Stoke and Swansea , two established, higher division clubs,  have struggled to come to terms with the division and it appears that the parachute payments haven’t done them a lot of good .

46 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Oddly enough not one of last year’s clubs relegated from the Prem bounced straight back up does this mean that the Championship is closer to the top level than in previous years ?

Of the three relegated clubs only WBA  made and lost in the play offs .

Stoke and Swansea , two established, higher division clubs,  have struggled to come to terms with the division and it appears that the parachute payments haven’t done them a lot of good .

Conversely, you could argue that the opposite is true as two of the promoted clubs (Cardiff and Fulham) have been relegated straight away. Fulham were getting hammered most weeks and only picked up a more respectable points total once they had been mathematically relegated and the pressure was off. 

1 minute ago, Coppello said:

Conversely, you could argue that the opposite is true as two of the promoted clubs (Cardiff and Fulham) have been relegated straight away. Fulham were getting hammered most weeks and only picked up a more respectable points total once they had been mathematically relegated and the pressure was off. 

Despite spending millions on new players and ended up with a squad of strangers........big error on Flums part. They never gelled as a playing team.

51 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think it fluctuates over the seasons, it think it's broadly similar to last season's standards, I just think Stoke and Swansea are unstable, but will bounce back.

I recall 16/17 with Newcastle, Villa and Norwich coming into the Champ and thinking “woah”. Only Newcastle faired well and went back up. 

Swings and roundabouts I guess. The money swilling around gives a sense that it’s bigger and better, and I think it is to an extent. 

I think it’s pushed the likes of Brentford, Preston, Sheffield Utd, ourselves to come up with different models to compete....raising the overall standard.  

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s pushed the likes of Brentford, Preston, Sheffield Utd, ourselves to come up with different models to compete....raising the overall standard.

Albeit the two play-off finalists are proof that cheats DO prosper (but I really hope that Villa remain in the Championship and feel the full force of FFP sanctions) 

56 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Albeit the two play-off finalists are proof that cheats DO prosper (but I really hope that Villa remain in the Championship and feel the full force of FFP sanctions) 

Couldn’t agree more. Don’t agree with what Derby have done, but EFL have accepted it (wrongly imho)....so I want them to win and then we see Villa selling players, out under embargo and start next season with a big points deduction. 

28 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Neil Harris made the comment, after playing us as it happens, that the standard is improving massively.

Quelle surprise!

Millwall owner: "Explain the slump from last season, Neil"

Harris: "The standard of the Championship is improving massively."

We haven't improved "massively" on last season, we have improved by one win, and three points. Winning at Millwall, for example, instead of losing like in 2017/18.

People in football will say whatever serves their own personal interest before they say anything else.

I think the gap between the top of the Championship and bottom of the Premier League is very close but that is partly because the gulf between the lower Premier League and upper Premier League has got so wide. I also think that, generally speaking, footballers have improved over the years in their fitness to a degree that a top First Division, footballer of the 60s or 70s, following the lifestyle they followed at the time, would struggle in the top flight today.

As to whether there have been incremental changes over two or three seasons, I am not sure. I think the problem with looking at the division and how strong or weak it is ahead of a given season is that it is always done based on the name and reputations of the teams involved. But some teams always struggle and some punch above their weight.  Next season I reckon is, in terms of looking at the outset and guessing who will do well, going to be one of the most open seasons in years and I reckon there won't be a lot of consensus in pre-season predictions and it will be very hard for anyone to guess accurately who is going up or down. But I'm not sure whether that makes it a stronger or weaker league - just one where nobody is sure who the strong teams will be. 

16 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Quelle surprise!

Millwall owner: "Explain the slump from last season, Neil"

Harris: "The standard of the Championship is improving massively."

We haven't improved "massively" on last season, we have improved by one win, and three points. Winning at Millwall, for example, instead of losing like in 2017/18.

People in football will say whatever serves their own personal interest before they say anything else.

Our performance in the league isn’t relevant in a conversation on the ability of the league overall. 

Clearly the league is of a higher standard now than 10 years ago 

22 hours ago, RedDave said:

Our performance in the league isn’t relevant in a conversation on the ability of the league overall. 

Clearly the league is of a higher standard now than 10 years ago 

Definitely 10 years ago- technically, tactically, in-game management- very different League to 10 years ago and probably less in fact. 5 or 6 maybe?

Stronger than last season- harder to say IMO.

Archived