IGNORED

England name Nations League Squad

phantom

• Admin

Now to bring the trophy home boys !!

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Jordan Pickford (Everton)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Declan Rice (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)

Strikers: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Callum Wilson (AFC Bournemouth)

17 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Would have had Wan-Bissaka for Trippier 

Shame Loftus-Cheek is injured. 

Agree Trippier is very lucky to be included.

Foster or McCarthy over Butland? Butland has played well...but for mid-table championship team. Yes he's third choice and unlikely to actually play but still; there's a few English keepers who could feel aggrieved at this. 

47 minutes ago, bcfcshorey said:

10 of them (if I've counted correctly) will be playing in the CL Final or Europa League final in the week leading up to the Holland game. Why have they scheduled it so close?!

To be fair there's not much chance they could have predicted 4 English teams making that final. Only 10 days ago everyone was betting on Barcelona v Ajax in the Champs league final - so had that happened you'd immediately have the Spurs and Liverpool players free. UEFA want the European finals to be the last thing in every domestic league. Ligue 1 and Serie A still have two rounds to play, La Liga and the Bundesliga have one left each. So it's only for English teams that this weird three week gap has opened up between the league end and the finals.

then they have to squeeze the Nations League in so it minimises the effects on pre-season.

Ultimately I guess there are really just too many games, and for English players at these four clubs the season has just fallen to be particularly long.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

To be fair there's not much chance they could have predicted 4 English teams making that final. Only 10 days ago everyone was betting on Barcelona v Ajax in the Champs league final - so had that happened you'd immediately have the Spurs and Liverpool players free. UEFA want the European finals to be the last thing in every domestic league. Ligue 1 and Serie A still have two rounds to play, La Liga and the Bundesliga have one left each. So it's only for English teams that this weird three week gap has opened up between the league end and the finals.

then they have to squeeze the Nations League in so it minimises the effects on pre-season.

Ultimately I guess there are really just too many games, and for English players at these four clubs the season has just fallen to be particularly long.

Very well thought out reply 

9 hours ago, Lucan said:

Maddison and AWB will be going to the U21s Euros this summer hence why they've not been picked. Doubt they would be starting for England anyway (though Maddison has a good case)

I’m a little surprised Shaw hasn’t been called up

I'm not. He has struggled a lot and is way behind Chilwell and Rose. Always looks overweight to me.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Why when you have natural LB's in Chilwell and Rose?

As cover I mean, I'd be more surprised if he got game time in midfield than if he did LB, but even more surprised if he played at all.

43 minutes ago, Lucan said:

I presume you haven't seen him this year, vastly improved, fitter and just won United's POTY award. He has also played more games than Rose this year

When Ole first joined he was ok last few months not so much. Shocking at Huddersfield. Like i said he looks overweight.

8 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Harry Winks?! How much of the season has he even played for Tottenham?

39 appearances (28 starts), 2,202 minutes according to whoscored. But not played since 9 April In their Man City first leg Champs league game.

Has Vardy retired from international football? He was on fire after Rodgers took over at Leicester. Surprised not to see him included, especially as Kane's only game before the tournament will be the Chsmpions League final, assuming he even makes that. 

And I would also have taken Maddison or even Andros Townsend over Winks and Delph.

13 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

39 appearances (28 starts), 2,202 minutes according to whoscored. But not played since 9 April In their Man City first leg Champs league game.

Assuming that's correct, I can't say that Winks has stood out. He is not exactly a mainstay of the Spurs team, unlike Maddison at Leicester or Townsend at Palace, both of whom were again on top form at the end of the season. Maybe Winks is to Southgate as Pato is to LJ?!

On the basis of form , Dier is also lucky to have been picked because he was woeful for Spurs at Bournemouth. In fact, the whole midfield looks really lacking in creative players. Delph? Really? Not played well this season. And doesn't  Rice also play in central defence for West Ham rather than midfield?

After the first XI, some of the choices certainly seem questionable.

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Has Vardy retired from international football? He was on fire after Rodgers took over at Leicester. Surprised not to see him included, especially as Kane's only game before the tournament will be the Chsmpions League final, assuming he even makes that. 

And I would also have taken Maddison or even Andros Townsend over Winks and Delph.

Assuming that's correct, I can't say that Winks has stood out. He is not exactly a mainstay of the Spurs team, unlike Maddison at Leicester or Townsend at Palace, both of whom were again on top form at the end of the season. Maybe Winks is to Southgate as Pato is to LJ?!

On the basis of form , Dier is also lucky to have been picked because he was woeful for Spurs at Bournemouth. In fact, the whole midfield looks really lacking in creative players. Delph? Really? Not played well this season. And doesn't  Rice also play in central defence for West Ham rather than midfield?

After the first XI, some of the choices certainly seem questionable.

Winks is a Spurs mainstay when fit. Starts nearly every game.  Weird that you don’t rate him since he is obviously very very good

Archived