IGNORED

Best ever away trip memory

barneyrubble

The ground I enjoyed going to most for an away match was Ashston Gate. An FA Cup match away to Bath, in the days when the home team could switch the tie to the opposition’s ground. This usually happened when a non league team, with a small ground, were drawn at home to a league team. Bath’s ground was pants, so the reason for the switch was obvious, but that didn’t stop Rovers moving in for a few years. 

Some on here to young to remember this City v Arsenal August 1976 our first game in the old first division Cheesley scored the winner what a day. The sun was shining and city the old Highbury clock behind us city took the gunners down. What a great day that was. I went with my Dad and we still go together now. 

While Coventry in the old first, Eastville 74 and 83 , Swindon (that game), Swansea 5-0, Liverpool and Man City and of course European adventures in Pisa, the best or at least my favourite was Chester to win promotion from the 4th.

22 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

As far as grounds go and atmosphere, for me the old Burnden Park, Ayresome Park, and Filbert Street in the FA Cup. All three were deafening, which is one of the reasons why my hearing is fooked today.

Filbert Street with Jackie and Junior on top form !!

3 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

I have two favourites Chester away in May 1984 my first away game and promotion to boot.

Secondly Carlisle away in May 1996 we lost 2-1 but it was my first complete season without missing a game.

Worst is 2 May 1990

That reminds me, Carlisle in our promotion season 2007.  Jamie McCombe's extendable leg and a great fight back. Bittersweet Symphony as we drove around the edge of the Lakes on the M6 on the way up.  @harry may, follow that car?

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Remember going to ninian park . Spanking them 3-0 . Wouldn’t say it was my best away day . But certainly one of my most memorable. 

Was that in the 1989-90 promotion season? If so I was there that day. My first away game. Pissed down with rain. One of our goals was a Bob Taylor special.  From what I remember we missed a penalty as well. 

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

As far as grounds go and atmosphere, for me the old Burnden Park, Ayresome Park, and Filbert Street in the FA Cup. All three were deafening, which is one of the reasons why my hearing is fooked today.

Bit surprised the Old Den not among them- but then you'd have been there I guess, you'd know more than me on it! :laughcont:

4 minutes ago, Offside said:

Was that in the 1989-90 promotion season? If so I was there that day. My first away game. Pissed down with rain. One of our goals was a Bob Taylor special.  From what I remember we missed a penalty as well. 

That would be the one . Old man had me pinned to the wall. As it just wasn’t the rain falling from the sky . Those umbrellas were a good hard hat 

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

That would be the one . Old man had me pinned to the wall. As it just wasn’t the rain falling from the sky . Those umbrellas were a good hard hat 

Ha! Yes, I remember lots of coins were raining down on us as we left the ground that day. 

17 hours ago, Barney red said:

Had quite a few brilliant experiences following city away but nothing quite compared to Anfield when tinman scored the winner and we hung on to win. Atmosphere and the whole day was amazing ,can still remember it clearly now.

On the other side of the coin the play off defeats to Brighton and hull were so disappointing both in terms of the result and our performances when we didnt show up at either.

It's about time we had another chance.

Mine has to be Liverpool as well. Went on a coach from Brislington and as soon as we left we knew it would be a great day. We stopped in a couple service stations and let’s just say that a lot of stuff came back on the coach for free! One lad decided he would empty the shelves of cassette tapes in said service station. 

We entered the outskirts of a damp Liverpool winters afternoon with the sounds of the Beach Boys blaring out over the coach’s loudspeakers ( every time I hear a Beach Boy tune to this day I think of Anfield 94!). 

After drinking in Liverpool centre for a few hours we got a taxi to the ground, driven by an Evertonian who pleaded with us to win. 

The game itself could of ended up 5-0 to us if Junior Bent could shoot on target, we all know what happened and the last 20 mins felt like 20 hours!. 

We ended up celebrating in a pub on some big Liverpool council estate on the cities outskirts, what a day, what a result. 

Rovers 1-0 down 2-1 up was a great one, Cardiff/Scott Murray and the bottles of piss was another, and some of the away days back in the old fourth division were great as well, Liverpool tops the lot though ?

We all know about Arsenal, Coventry, Bradford, Forest and Liverpool.. let's hear some more obscure personal favourites!

I'd have to go for Doncaster away in 2007.. late late goal from I think Showumni from a LJ free kick, wich kept us on course for promotion. Absolute scenes, and outside the ground, some chavvy local was giving us mouth from her car.. before she knew it, a whole load of City were surrounding her car shouting "the reds are going up!"

Also, a few weeks earlier, Chesterfield on a Tuesday night. Had a massive domestic with the missus and decided last minute that I was gonna go up.with some randoms on this forum to avoid having to go home! We were 3-0 up at halftime.. stayed with a mate and.got home the next evening. That showed her!

Then there was Burton away 2 seasons ago. It was the first time in years I'd seen us away after an unbroken period oversees and it was just a quality away day. Nice weather, great pubs, friendly locals and a last minute Tammy winner!

21 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Burnley away midweek sometime in the early nineties.  Got there at half time due to a crash on the M6.  The chief equalised in injury time; happy days.  Bolton away the same year.  Crate of rolling rock on the way up and two from the chief sealing a superb city win. 

I left on 90 mins and didn't know until next day it was a draw

I have good memories vs Pne in the sunshine c.2005 ish. I dont think I've ever seen us win away though. Pretty depressing trip to Blackpool in the freezing cold and rain in the late 1990s I also missed the Mansfield match as missed the train bahhhh

9 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

That reminds me, Carlisle in our promotion season 2007.  Jamie McCombe's extendable leg and a great fight back. Bittersweet Symphony as we drove around the edge of the Lakes on the M6 on the way up.  @harry may, follow that car?

I was there that day too. Our car had trouble after the game and a really nice local kept giving us drinks. I got home aro7nd 11pm. Had to get up at 3am to get to Heathrow to fly to LA. Got back following Friday then straight to Millwall

7 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

We all know about Arsenal, Coventry, Bradford, Forest and Liverpool.. let's hear some more obscure personal favourites!

I'd have to go for Doncaster away in 2007.. late late goal from I think Showumni from a LJ free kick, wich kept us on course for promotion. Absolute scenes, and outside the ground, some chavvy local was giving us mouth from her car.. before she knew it, a whole load of City were surrounding her car shouting "the reds are going up!"

Also, a few weeks earlier, Chesterfield on a Tuesday night. Had a massive domestic with the missus and decided last minute that I was gonna go up.with some randoms on this forum to avoid having to go home! We were 3-0 up at halftime.. stayed with a mate and.got home the next evening. That showed her!

Then there was Burton away 2 seasons ago. It was the first time in years I'd seen us away after an unbroken period oversees and it was just a quality away day. Nice weather, great pubs, friendly locals and a last minute Tammy winner!

That Doncaster game was a McCombe header from a corner last minute.

i enjoyed Burton away that day too, new ground and my first game after recovering from surgery to remove my kidney. It was great to see a lot of friends again

19 hours ago, One Dickie Rooks said:

Pisa away in the Anglo Italian cup,coach through France and a stop for a piss in Monaco,alcohol ban at our hotel for city fans and a cigarette and tobacco shortage because of a strike of some sort,expensive taxis and then we lost about 4 or 5 nil,Gary Shelton came onto our coach before we left to give some girl who broke her arm his shirt.

First time I'd ever seen City come out from under the pitch. We lost 4-3 and the Italian lad next to me explained his elderly father, who was in tears, was crying tears of joy at such expansive football as they usually were served a diet of 1-0s and he hadn't seen the like during all his considerable years.

Post match those staying over (I was staying in the hotel with the players and Dennis Smith was a gent engaging with the fans,) ended up getting locked into a bar near the ground by the Caribinieri whilst all hell kicked off outside (not those drinking inside were complaining.)

The 'strike' related to the state owned tobacconists ceasing supplies as the Italian tax authorities had the audacity to demand they start paying income tax... only in Italy....

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Arsenal away was fantastic. but the one that stands out for me was chester when we won promotion. after all the dark days when we nearly went out of business. the start of the comeback. terry coopers red and white army. happy memories 

God, I forgot about that Chester game!  Back in the day when we caught CATS coaches to away games.

Archived