IGNORED

Best ever away trip memory

barneyrubble

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:01, Miah Dennehy said:

If I'm allowed to join in :0

Discounting any games at your place,  I have had so many great away days, I count myself very lucky, we ran a coach from the Pied for years so a lot of them may have been slightly alcohol influenced :)

Nov 74 West Brom, my first ever away game and we came back from 2 down at half time to draw 2-2, seemed a magical night at the time to a 10 year old.

Newcastle about 20 odd years ago, I remember it was the day Bobby Moore died, a midweek game they were top, we were bottom and we drew 0-0.  We stayed in the dodgiest of B&Bs and the landlord gave us a list of pubs that weren't safe to go into, but we ended up drinking with a South Shields bloke who took us in most of them. We did end up getting locked in at one of them for our own safety by the landlord after my big mouth upset a couple of locals in what I mistakenly thought was 'banter' . Ended up drinking with Dennis Smith , Paul Bracewell and Smiths assistant (Crosby?) in a nightclub called Greys and had to break into the B&B to regain entrance.

Everton about 15 years ago I'd guess, equalised in the last minute. One of my mates mates was an Evertonian and we met up with him at his local, the landlord offered us a ll a bet, if Rovers won or got a draw we could have free booze(whatever we wanted) after the game, if Everton one we had to pay double. Only two of us (including me) took the bet on, and I managed to sleep all the way home on the mini bus until it pulled up outside my house- which was handy :)

Plymouth away , again about 20 odd years ago. we got about 10 miles from Plymouth when we heard the game was off. We diverted to Torquay, where there was a game on, but the organiser lied and said that too was off, so we went into Torquay all day. left about 6 o clock, and as we came up to Collumpton a few people wanted a beer stop, and we ended up having a late one in a local. It was the days before mobile phones, and my wife wasn't impressed that I got home at 2am from a game that had been postponed around 15 hours earlier.

Notts County to draw 0-0 and get to Wembley for the first time was special, the 6-0 win at Reading after being 0-0 at half time was also one that will also always make me smile.

More recently when we won 3-2 at Southampton with an injury time Andy Williams screamer, me a amte and our 2 lads went to that, the boys were about 12 at the time, and we let them sit elsewhere on their own, it was an amazing atmosphere and it was great to see just how excited they were by the whole thing.

Derby away in the cup on a lads and dads trip on a minbus was also special, and I could write a book about the away trip to Derby when we won, but that may have to come under the 'what goes on tour' section!

did you go to the spurs away game.

46 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Sorry to hear about your mum buster.

Doesnt seen like 30 years ago we were playing football in the city ground car park.

Thanks Terry, much appreciated. Used to love those days, small goals in the car park. Only thing I hated was retrieving the ball from the smelly brook

5 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

That Doncaster game was a McCombe header from a corner last minute.

i enjoyed Burton away that day too, new ground and my first game after recovering from surgery to remove my kidney. It was great to see a lot of friends again

Ah yes, the scorer was McCombe you're right. 99% sure it was headed home from a LJ free kick though!!

19 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Bolton away  think it was 1989/1990 season lost 1-0 but what a day , tear up in the town centre before the game ( not condoning it) 4000 up there, people climbing the floodlights, carnage afterwards, all round top day on the lash.

If memory serves me the away end was loads of small pens and more and more away came they had to keep opening them up until we were right next to Bolton. I remember a store room getting broken into and fire extinguishers being let off into the home end . Was only 19 and a mad mad day 

17 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

If memory serves me the away end was loads of small pens and more and more away came they had to keep opening them up until we were right next to Bolton. I remember a store room getting broken into and fire extinguishers being let off into the home end . Was only 19 and a mad mad day 

Spot on stick , think it was a couple of the burnham lads got hold of the fire extinguishers.

45 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Ah yes, the scorer was McCombe you're right. 99% sure it was headed home from a LJ free kick though!!

It was - Andy Smiths only worthwhile contribution was to win the free kick 

21 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Bolton away  think it was 1989/1990 season lost 1-0 but what a day , tear up in the town centre before the game ( not condoning it) 4000 up there, people climbing the floodlights, carnage afterwards, all round top day on the lash.

Not my best ever away-day, but certainly very memorable.

Bolton ruined their large open-terrace kop by building a stupid B&Q store, that took up half the space they used to have.

As you say, so many City there the police/stewards had to allow our lot to spill over into the grandstand alongside their fans.

One safety issue solved by creating a bigger one.

9 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Not my best ever away-day, but certainly very memorable.

Bolton ruined their large open-terrace kop by building a stupid B&Q store, that took up half the space they used to have.

As you say, so many City there the police/stewards had to allow our lot to spill over into the grandstand alongside their fans.

One safety issue solved by creating a bigger one.

Divvy (RIP) told us all to meet at the M5 Michaelwood services Northbound at 9am on the day of the game.

There was vans galore in the services. Convoy to Bolton, up there at 12 midday’ish. A load of us drank in a pub circa 10 minutes walk from the ground. Forgot the name of the pub, but it was one of those “walk around bars” where you could do a “lap”. Loads in there, good singsong etc.

Those who were there will remember what happened prematch. Not to be posted on here.

Great days!

3-0 Swindon away in a relegation local rival 6 pointer, on an open terrace in pouring rain (94/95?). Matt Bryant's bullet header! Driving back with 2 Swindle fans to Devon afterwards; the proverbial icing on the cake!

Also enjoyed an Adam Locke last minute winner at Pompey in 99, with similar journey home repercussions...

Archived