IGNORED

Cup Final

Super

Such a shame that this seems to have lost its appeal. It was such a big occasion back in the day. Used to love all the build up from about 8am! The helicopter following the team buses etc. Now with the 5pm kick off it seems to be a minor occasion. Will it ever get back to how it was?

No unfortunately it won’t. As you said massive occasion years ago . Some fantastic fa cup memories throughout the years. Now it’s just a case of oh cup final today . What times kick off. Not sure 

on a side note if a goal is scored between the 16th and 17th minute . I win a 100 pound. Macmillan sweepstake 

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Such a shame that this seems to have lost its appeal. It was such a big occasion back in the day. Used to love all the build up from about 8am! The helicopter following the team buses etc. Now with the 5pm kick off it seems to be a minor occasion. Will it ever get back to how it was?

Since the Champions League is so successful it will only stay where it is as far as popularity, but still a huge occasion and steeped with tradition.

So which one of your teams are you supporting, or both is it ???

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Probably not whilst they market it for international tv rights.

Long gone are the days of Des Lynham and FA Cup Grandstand.

Ah the silverfox

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Since the Champions League is so successful it will only stay where it is as far as popularity, but still a huge occasion and steeped with tradition.

So which one of your teams are you supporting, or both is it ???

Man City for me .  

Meh.

The difference these days is the huge squads and mostly foreign players in the teams.

Back in the eighties I could name the core of any top division teams because they had played for only one or two clubs their whole careers; I would also through knowing that about the teams have a preference.  Now Premiership teams are interchangeable brands with the only constants being the stadium and the fans.

Now it's the players all shuttling every year between here Spain and Italy.

When someone mentioned it yesterday I had to ask who was playing.

Needless to say I won't be watching it.

11 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Meh.

The difference these days is the huge squads and mostly foreign players in the teams.

Back in the eighties I could name the core of any top division teams because they had played for only one or two clubs their whole careers; I would also through knowing that about the teams have a preference.  Now Premiership teams are interchangeable brands with the only constants being the stadium and the fans.

Now it's the players all shuttling every year between here Spain and Italy.

When someone mentioned it yesterday I had to ask who was playing.

Needless to say I won't be watching it.

The difference is the sheer amount of football on TV now and the apparent importance of Champions League football. Fans now see finishing fourth as better than winning the FA Cup. Madness in my view. Would rather City won the FA cup than got promoted 

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The standard of football in the WC is piss poor. The best football is played by league teams with players independent of nationality. On season. 

Early start today tommy?

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Wish they would stick it back to 3pm and treat it properly with all day build up as Super said. I'd almost forgotten about the game today and thought this was the first football free Saturday of the summer. What a shame.

How can they give it a whole day build up when the competition is treated by the fans and clubs with near disdain?

24 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Wish they would stick it back to 3pm and treat it properly with all day build up as Super said. I'd almost forgotten about the game today and thought this was the first football free Saturday of the summer. What a shame.

Completely agree. Maybe they should award a Champions' League place to the winners instead of the club finishing 4th -  at least the bigger clubs would take it seriously then.

1 hour ago, Super said:

I agree mate was always a big day in our house Dad brother nephew we had a few beers and a some cheese an biscuits with a few ciders skys ruined it with the five o clock kick off

I get less and less interested in the FA Cup final each year, used to love it years ago.

For me it used to feel like a special day and for some reason that has gone, i didn't know it was on today tbh.

Anyway i fancy Bernardo Silva to get MOTM and 7/1

What used to be a huge occasion has been turned into a nothing game these days. Ruined by FA greed. I can’t take a cup final kicking off at 5pm seriously tbh and won’t be making any special arrangements to watch it. Can’t remember the last final I watched tbh.

Archived