IGNORED

Cup Final

Super

4 hours ago, Lucan said:

The 1970 FA cup final replay was watched by almost 29 million people

Last year was 7.9 million

Was at the first game. Wembley was a shit heap after staging the horse of the year show the week before.

Proper game that was, Eddie Gray tore David Webb ( Chelsea right back) a new one.

Leeds Pissed all over Chelsea that day but Gary Sprake managed to dive over a 30yd grubber from Hutchinson I think for Chelsea to snatch a 2/2 draw. No extra time back then replay at Old Trafford.

As for the viewing figures, The FA Cup final, the European cup final and maybe the FAIRS Cup final? were the only live games on TV.

Certainly was a different time.  Better?  Yes for me.

2 hours ago, Unan said:

You don't think we are the most supported team in Somerset, Gloucester & probably Wiltshire?

Not even close, I can guarantee in all those counties we have less fans than Man U and Liverpool to name but 2, I wouldn't be shocked if we were not even the best supported team in Bristol. 

4 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Not even close, I can guarantee in all those counties we have less fans than Man U and Liverpool to name but 2, I wouldn't be shocked if we were not even the best supported team in Bristol. 

Sadly I think your right. Bristol the only place we might come close.

Living in Gloucester for the last year the amount of shirts, jackets, badges supporting the rugby side is amazing. Now I know it's a massive rugby town but it outnumbers any top football side here 10/1.

44 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, because that’s where he is based now, 100% a Bristol City fan.

My son met him on a referee’s seminar last season, he couldn’t stop talking about City.

Yep, been seen at City away games, its just how the commentator inferred the Leicester connection, whilst we know different!

2 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

the population of bristol with surrounding areas is about half a million city get 20000 rovers get 10000 that leaves a lot of people  !

Exactly, and some City fans call plenty of other teams "tinpot", let's be honest most teams north of Birmingham would class us as tinpot, things have improved in the last few years to be fair but over the last 20 to 30 years we have only had a "good" and recognized reputation for one thing and its nothing to do with happenings on the pitch

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Their fanbase are the wettest of wet fannies.

Notwithstanding your username I think you should leave such comments to the real expert on these matters. 

Wass reckon Rudolph? 

4 hours ago, weepywall said:

Population of Watford is 120,000, 20k fans in a town of that size is not tin pot, nearly 20% of the town supporting local team !!!! 

Pretty good catchment area, though I get your point, they have a population of at least 12 million within 45 mins albeit with more competition, not sure how many glory hunters they have but a lot of their attendances are probably boosted by local derby's with a large premiership following.   

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, because that’s where he is based now, 100% a Bristol City fan.

My son met him on a referee’s seminar last season, he couldn’t stop talking about City.

Often seen in the away end at City matches, if he’s got reffing that day. 

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Hundreds of thousands of people in this country support teams they live hundreds of miles from. Why? because they win things, and r have done in the past, that’s it.

Most of the people I work with ( claim to!) support Man Utd,Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea, even though they have NEVER seen them play live, they are glory hunters.

I don't see how you can support Arsenal and be a glory hunter :laugh:

8 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Was at the first game. Wembley was a shit heap after staging the horse of the year show the week before.

Proper game that was, Eddie Gray tore David Webb ( Chelsea right back) a new one.

Leeds Pissed all over Chelsea that day but Gary Sprake managed to dive over a 30yd grubber from Hutchinson I think for Chelsea to snatch a 2/2 draw. No extra time back then replay at Old Trafford.

As for the viewing figures, The FA Cup final, the European cup final and maybe the FAIRS Cup final? were the only live games on TV.

Certainly was a different time.  Better?  Yes for me.

Was that the game where Mick Jones of Leeds dislocated his shoulder or was that in the replay ?

10 hours ago, Spud55 said:

It’s horrible to say but I think you are right. Man U and Liverpool “fans” probably outnumber City, Rovers, Forest Green, Cheltenham and Swindon fans combined.

I doubt they’ve been to many games though.

Archived