IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly Bournemouth 13 million

Dynamite Red

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Started the season really strongly. Thought he was a cert for a top 6 club. Didn’t maintain that form so £13m looks a lot of money!

if we could get JDS I’d much rather have him than LK. 

I agree. Kelly on form is great but he certainly has bad games in him and when he’s bad he is full of errors and goes to pieces at times. I thought he had a great game at CB alongside Dasilva for England at AG though ( only watched on tv), maybe Bournemouth noticed this too. 

Yes I would be happy if we got Dasilva ( even better Kalas aswell) but it does now concern me we have to find a LB AND  a CB as he could play both, unless we can find someone just as adaptable. 

One more season with him would have been ideal but you can’t blame him for jumping to an established ( but small) prem team. 

He wasn’t a regular here but useful to have and had potential. The headache as I said is replacing him. That’s how I’m seeing his move.

18 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Indeed, it's been Eddie Howe's weakness imo. With the signing of Mepham and now Lloyd he is obviously trying to fix that.

They still need a decent keeper though.

Frankie's available!!!

:innocent06:

I agree, good business by city. I'm surprised we didn't start a bidding war for him, like James at swansea; as he has had a number of suitors apparently.

I reckon City has done a deal with a lb. As that would be the only reason to let LK go so early on in the summer.

Otherwise any transfer fee quoted now, would be inflated on the back of this deal as well.

So much money weve made past 3 years and less than 40% spent!!!!

Great business. But that is all it is. It wasnt long ago city. Academy players were in the team for years. The only reason for an academy now is money money money. Bristol city business club or bcbc. Lansdown is a money man.  Sad state of football.

20 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Good deal all round. Whilst it would appear a good signing, unless Kalas is available for a decent fee and without excessive wages, I’d be inclined to look elsewhere. Sometimes this Forum focuses too much on the familiarity of former loanees, rather than looking wider, and for value. 

Has the The forum obsession with signing Matt Smith ended yet?

?

3 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

So much money weve made past 3 years and less than 40% spent!!!!

Great business. But that is all it is. It wasnt long ago city. Academy players were in the team for years. The only reason for an academy now is money money money. Bristol city business club or bcbc. Lansdown is a money man.  Sad state of football.

It wasn’t long ago that City Academy players were only getting deals in the Conference.

Lansdown is a money man and anyone not happy with that in the world of FFP and points deduction or transfer embargo’s is delusional 

30 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Massive “if”.

Maguire was playing great in the Premier league and went for far less as well

Well if he's not good enough then 13m will look even better value won't it?

Yeah but look at what he is worth now, Man Utd couldn't get him for under £75m last year apparently. 

Great business for us. If the Liverpool rumor were true it might have been a better move for him - but from a club point of view, this is much better. If he struggles we have the money in the bank and if he does well then there's a good chance of a decent sell on from a 'bigger' club swooping in for him.

Think he'll do well, has bags of talent and a great attitude. 

Let’s face it he may well become an England international but he was our 2nd choice left back and 5/6th choice centre back this season and would probably not be a first choice in either position next season unless we are struggling.

LJ I think said 12/18 months away from converting to centre back and to get out of this division we need strength in depth now. For the same reason I would not expect to see O’Leary first choice for us next season. Good luck Lloyd,  so now use the money well and onwards and upwards.

40 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

A record transfer received for someone who has only played 48 games for our club. That is absolutely outstanding, take a bow the academy and coaching staff for giving him this chance and getting him this opportunity ?

And take a bow for generating us so much bloody money! We really do have an incredible academy.

5 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

And take a bow for generating us so much bloody money! We really do have an incredible academy.

Maybe some of the money could go towards upgrading the academy to cat 1, would be worth it for the entertainment value of drawing the gas in the checkatrade or whatever they call it these days trophy 

Fair play to the kid, think this was the right decision by him. Gets a chance to develop with first team football, something don't think he'd have gotten from one of the top six clubs. Softly softly catchy monkey and all that.

Think he'll iron out some of those lapses in concentration he tends to have, which I believe were in part to do with playing LB, not his natural position. 13mil for someone that is unproven at CB is a great deal personally, though would have preferred he was bought by a bigger club and loaned back to us.

Pressure is on for Lloyd though, he's now mentally out of the comfort zone which was academy progression. 

This feels like a good deal all round.

- As long as the £13m is guaranteed/up front, we’ve realised great money for someone who wasn’t a guaranteed starter. If you’d asked me who I’d not want to lose from our defence last season, Kelly would have been behind Webster, Kalas and DaSilva. As long as we can secure the latter two, then this is great - and the fee pays for them

- This makes JDS all the more likely. I could have seen a sticking point for Jay being whether he’d be first choice. Lloyd leaving for me nails that one on

- Bournemouth have, for the prem, a reasonably low cost (!) deal for great potential

- Lloyd will get to play more than likely under a good coach and a footballing side

Nothing not to like here - as long as JDS at least is incoming!

Interesting that Gregor mentions rumours that LJ is  not happy with next seasons budget as a factor in the sale.

Maybe SL told him if he needs extra funds for Kalas/Da Silva and a striker then money needs to be raised. Taking a bid early in the window gives LJ the chance to possibly meet their demands before they go elsewhere.

C£30m from our academy within 12 months. How the times have changed! Sure it will have a knock on effect of more kids wanted to join us to be well coached and have opportunities to break through.

Great deal for us and LK. Glad there's so few moans on here about a lack of ambition, it is often about what the player wants regardless, especially when the Prem comes calling. In this case though it works for all parties involved.

Option 1 invest the fee x 2  and build a title chasing squad.

Option 2 invest less than half the fee, and then say goodbye to Kalas, ODowda, Dsilvia and others = around and around we go.

?

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

This feels like a good deal all round.

- As long as the £13m is guaranteed/up front, we’ve realised great money for someone who wasn’t a guaranteed starter. If you’d asked me who I’d not want to lose from our defence last season, Kelly would have been behind Webster, Kalas and DaSilva. As long as we can secure the latter two, then this is great - and the fee pays for them

- This makes JDS all the more likely. I could have seen a sticking point for Jay being whether he’d be first choice. Lloyd leaving for me nails that one on

- Bournemouth have, for the prem, a reasonably low cost (!) deal for great potential

- Lloyd will get to play more than likely under a good coach and a footballing side

Nothing not to like here - as long as JDS at least is incoming!

Agree with all that. Sad to lose Kelly but it is good money for us,  good chance for him and, for his undoubted quality and potential, we are effectively moving on someone who was on the fringes of the team for a few that could allow us to get two first team defenders in.

Archived