IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly Bournemouth 13 million

Dynamite Red

Great post totally agree

also we won’t be getting players in on 30k a week   We Can spend a bit more on transfers and signing on fees etc but we won’t be giving 30k wages.  Imagine if the player doesn’t do well , it will cause unrest with players that give their all and only get 15k   Just look at Man U with the Sanchez problem.  

The higher turnover of our club will determine our “wage cap” (20-22k probably). Not one big fee 

in saying that we may be able to afford a bigger loan fee for the right player 

1 hour ago, Unan said:

A 20 year old that has started 26 games for us.

To put it in perspective (although I'm not sure that word and football finances should go in the same sentence)  Chelsea paid over £5m for a 16 year old with one first team appearance to his name. Tomas Kalas. 

One other positive in all this, is that if you were an early career professional looking to build your reputation and status in the game, why wouldn't you want to come to City?

Amongst the most number of first team minutes for under 25s in the division? CHECK!

Proven record in coaching and developing players? Ask, Bobby, ask Joe, ask Flint... CHECK!

Good working environment? CHECK!

Performing well and attracting interest, which leads to a return for the club and the next step in your career, but don't want the club to stand in your way? CHECK!

It will only be a matter or time before we finish in the top 6, with a combination of new, existing and self developed players.

Relax, we seem to be on a journey that, for once, appears to be going in the right direction.

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

One other positive in all this, is that if you were an early career professional looking to build your reputation and status in the game, why wouldn't you want to come to City?

Amongst the most number of first team minutes for under 25s in the division? CHECK!

Proven record in coaching and developing players? Ask, Bobby, ask Joe, ask Flint... CHECK!

Good working environment? CHECK!

Performing well and attracting interest, which leads to a return for the club and the next step in your career, but don't want the club to stand in your way? CHECK!

It will only be a matter or time before we finish in the top 6, with a combination of new, existing and self developed players.

Relax, we seem to be on a journey that, for once, appears to be going in the right direction.

I think this is key to our recruitment and I`m sure any potential young signings are told that we will not prevent them from progressing should the opportunity arise.

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

How do you know it was the first offer?

There MAY have been any number of offers but this was the best one for Lloyd and the club.

If you believe the reports that we put a price of £15m in Jan and we are accepting £13m (plus add-ons I’m sure) now then I’m convinced we could of got a higher price, especially if Kelly performs well in the U21 tournament coming up.

As for the best deal for him, then I’m not sure. Bournemouth?they’re hardly going to be challenging for Europe season on season. Just getting to 45 points is an achievement for them, no disrespect but the are the tiddler in a very big and expensive pond.

I feel we should have kept our powder dry on this one...

40 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

But, a bit like our 27000 seater, they never seem to get to 11000 !

Looking to build on their current position- new stadium and training ground in the offing. Believe already began work on the latter.

As for 11,000- don't know what % given over to segregation for example. Better % would be available tickets sold.

Excuse me if this has already been posted.....Joe Bryan moves for circa £6m while Lloyd Kelly realises circa £13m. Seems odd to me. Both are good players, JB that bit older and more experienced. I can not figure out why there was such a discrepancy in their transfer fees.

Discuss.

5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Excuse me if this has already been posted.....Joe Bryan moves for circa £6m while Lloyd Kelly realises circa £13m. Seems odd to me. Both are good players, JB that bit older and more experienced. I can not figure out why there was such a discrepancy in their transfer fees.

Discuss.

The price of potential.

Joe will likely be closer to the finished article, Lloyd is still developing physically as well as technically.

8 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Discuss.

Joe Bryan has never represented England at any age level.

Joe Bryan has never been invited to train with the England senior team.

Kelly's  potential has been recognised by the very highest in English football, Klopp, Emery, Pochettino, Southgate and the highly thought of , Eddie Howe - pretty shrewd judges of a players talent I would suggest

3 minutes ago, eastonboy said:

Joe Bryan has never represented England at any age level.

Joe Bryan has never been invited to train with the England senior team.

Kelly's  potential has been recognised by the very highest in English football, Klopp, Emery, Pochettino, Southgate and the highly thought of , Eddie Howe - pretty shrewd judges of a players talent I would suggest

Plus inflation and more tv money. ?

5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Discuss.

Because Kelly is way ahead of Bryan in ability and potential. Good though Bryan was and is, he has never generated the interest Kelly has.

Remember, he was picked by England having barely kicked a ball for us so the powers that be have been aware of him for a long time. He is now a regular U21 despite playing for an unfashionable Championship side. There is every chance he will play for the full side. Bryan has never got anywhere near all this.

The fee reflects his exceptional potential and we may be saying one day that it was not enough.

47 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Discuss.

As Bryan himself said, albeit perhaps slightly tongue in cheek, 'I needed to leave as I was about to lose my place to someone younger and better'

13 Million is a good bit of business. Yes the lad may have great potential but he was not a first team regular and was still far from the finished article in terms of consistency. Sure he is an athlete and may well turn out to be an England player in a few years to come - but its money in the bank for us that we can spend on the types of players we need. Namely a 20 goal a season striker and perhaps a new goalkeeper and a midfield workhorse. Personally id let COD go as well - especially if they can get 6 or 8 million for him.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Because Kelly is way ahead of Bryan in ability and potential. Good though Bryan was and is, he has never generated the interest Kelly has.

Remember, he was picked by England having barely kicked a ball for us so the powers that be have been aware of him for a long time. He is now a regular U21 despite playing for an unfashionable Championship side. There is every chance he will play for the full side. Bryan has never got anywhere near all this.

The fee reflects his exceptional potential and we may be saying one day that it was not enough.

Yes, it's a gamble ,but @ 13m could prove a snip .

20 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48140826

Well let's see what really occurs then Lee? 

Just like last summer.... 'Its started with a 'sale' ...

And guess what we improved the squad selling our best 3 players with the highest finish for 11 years our highest points total for the same amount of time

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

If you were to look at key qualities I would humbly state Bryan is more two footed, is a better crosser of a ball and his ability in tight spaces to play one and two touch at tempo exceeds Kellys by some way. The potential of both is different. 

Bournemouth I would expect will use Kelly in the manner they looked to use Mings who did not work out as his potential suggested. Both have similar skill sets.

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If you were to look at key qualities I would humbly state Bryan is more two footed, is a better crosser of a ball and his ability in tight spaces to play one and two touch at tempo exceeds Kellys by some way. The potential of both is different. 

Bournemouth I would expect will use Kelly in the manner they looked to use Mings who did not work out as his potential suggested. Both have similar skill sets.

The fact remains that Bryan was never fast tracked into the England set up when he had little or no experience and was never tipped for the kind of future Kelly is forecast to have. Having played under 50 games he is already ahead of Bryan.

Of course Kelly is a centre back who has been learning his trade at full back, as is often the case with young defenders, whereas Bryan is an out and out full/wing back so they are not really equivalent.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

The fact remains that Bryan was never fast tracked into the England set up when he had little or no experience and was never tipped for the kind of future Kelly is forecast to have. Having played under 50 games he is already ahead of Bryan.

Of course Kelly is a centre back who has been learning his trade at full back, as is often the case with young defenders, whereas Bryan is an out and out full/wing back so they are not really equivalent.

Yes. Players have differing abilities.  It was those abilities I commented on playing obviously away from CB. In those positions Kellys ability could be considered to  not far exceed Bryans.

I am disappointed that Kellys ability and potential at CB will not be progressed at Bristol City. 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Yes. Players have differing abilities.  It was those abilities I commented on playing obviously away from CB. In those positions Kellys ability could be considered to  not far exceed Bryans.

I am disappointed that Kellys ability and potential at CB will not be progressed at Bristol City. 

Me too.

Interestingly, not one player under 21 who played more than the equivalent of 12 games was a CB.  There are a few 21 year olds, Fry (Boro), Vyner - who played RB, Godfrey (Norwich).

Archived