IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly Bournemouth 13 million

Dynamite Red

20 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Yes. Players have differing abilities.  It was those abilities I commented on playing obviously away from CB. In those positions Kellys ability could be considered to  not far exceed Bryans.

I am disappointed that Kellys ability and potential at CB will not be progressed at Bristol City. 

Me too. I was pleased when LJ talked about playing him there next season but we are in no position to to resist the money on offer.

I am certain that with a fair wind he will play for the full England side. Quite possibly our best home grown player for a generation or much longer.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Oh loving that you all have head in the sand regarding the finances. LJ and MA can spend millions again and you all think it is fantasy football. I will not bore you with the numbers (far too complex , but it will shake you to the bone) as you are all playing championship manager. BCFC should have been building a future around players like Reid, Bryan and Kelly. Instead they are selling them to pay for awful transfer policy and a multitude of wasted signings. How wonderfully gullible you all are. Makes the life of LJ and MA so much easier. 

Thanks for not confusing our little brains and pointing out how stupid we are.

Have another one...or two.

Oh loving that you all have head in the sand regarding the finances. LJ and MA can spend millions again and you all think it is fantasy football. I will not bore you with the numbers (far too complex , but it will shake you to the bone) as you are all playing championship manager. BCFC should have been building a future around players like Reid, Bryan and Kelly. Instead they are selling them to pay for awful transfer policy and a multitude of wasted signings. How wonderfully gullible you all are. Makes the life of LJ and MA so much easier. 

Correct ! Hooray... Some else who gets it... we are not alone billy, bit we are in the minority on this site maybe it is full of young hopefuls who have not seen enough to convince them yet... 

Isn't it funny that those who are so regularly anti LJ MA & SL, who vent their spleen after a loss ( often at just going a goal down- on here cos they don't actually go to matches) can find mega fault at selling a player who in all honesty hasn't really done much for us other than becoming our record transfer fee. 

We haven't really missed Bryan or Flint and I just can't think that Bobby would have made the difference between us getting into the Premier League which is ,in any event,increasingly looking like when not if.

Such an awful transfer policy has improved our league position/team season on season

which makes your post pretty much complete bollox 

I wouldn’t swap Webster for flint or Bryan for dasilva 

35 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

FFP prevents the billionaire from splashing the cash,

Although it does appear you can buy the ground for an inflated market valuation and lease it back to yourself for a pittance. ?

I am waiting for next year when Derby owner Mel Morris sells the ground (that Derby don’t own anymore) again, and Derby lease it back again....and the EFL ignore it. 

How is it "fair play" that Bournemouth can spend 13-17m on a player and we cannot ? and one more question how/why are the "likes of" Bournemouth/Brighton etc even in the Prem and we are not ?

13 hours ago, Monkeh said:

And guess what we improved the squad selling our best 3 players with the highest finish for 11 years our highest points total for the same amount of time

Chelsea loans achieved that as they did before, as that road may now be blocked which road do we choose now?

If you build something should you not try to keep the best bits of what you have built and add to them? we seem determined to be continuously selling our assets.

In the last 2 Jan windows it was very much in our hands, we dropped it and we failed to build and push on from good position, its like we don't want to make that last step and pay its cost.?

11 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

If you build something should you not try to keep the best bits of what you have built and add to them? we seem determined to be continuously selling our assets.

Sustainability right there. Who could genuinely turn down that kind of money and stand in his way of playing in the Prem?

1 hour ago, Bri Stool City said:

and one more question how/why are the "likes of" Bournemouth/Brighton etc even in the Prem and we are not ?

It works like this - you play 46 games in a season and points are awarded for a win or a draw.

If at the end of the season you have enough points you get "promoted" to the league above.

Here to help.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Sustainability right there. Who could genuinely turn down that kind of money and stand in his way of playing in the Prem?

I certainly understand what you are saying, but every season three teams get promoted and I’m sure that doesn’t happen by them selling off their best players year after year.

At some stage when creating our ‘pathways’ for our talent we have to keep them on OUR path and get them to believe that the promoted team this season will be us, with them onboard. Right now there seems to be dead ends and players allowed to make an easy choice of looking elsewhere for success ( and/or money).

Fans are often asked, even urged, to ‘stick with us’ and ‘get on board with the project’ and ‘look to the future with all the young talent coming through’ so why don’t the players get the same message, and if they are why are they not believing in the club. Is it all purely down to money, if so football have created monsters.

What’s the moan? We develop talent, and don’t stand in their war when they get the dream offer. After all, who on here would want to stay in their current job with somebody else offering you more than double current salary. It’s simple sustainability, attract young talent, use and develop it, sell on at right time. Additional income keeps the club solvent and allows money to invest in key players, to fill the gaps where you don’t have a home grown player.

13 hours ago, billywedlock said:

You can sell even good assets to reinvest and improve- this has been proven demonstrably true at a variety of clubs here and in Europe- but you must build flexibility in- now is the time for that flexibility, for a push in the market.

Whether we will or not- either in fees or taking a chance on wages part subsidised by the fees- well we'll see. Signs don't look great so far but we are only 20th May so there is still plenty of time to use sales to help fund growth. Now will we, there's the question?

3 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

How is it "fair play" that Bournemouth can spend 13-17m on a player and we cannot ?

Perhaps because Bournemouth get approximately £90m a year from being in the premier league? 

12 hours ago, Monkeh said:

FFP prevents the billionaire from splashing the cash,

There's none so blind that cannot see, Monkeh!

I still can't believe Bournemouth have bought Kelly for such a vast sum of cash.  I don't think he's as good as the hype suggests.

Wish him all the best and hope he does well next season, although I fear Bournemouth might be due a relegation scrap soon, and having a former City player in the squad doesn't seem to bode well!

Thank you Bournemouth for your valuable cash injection into the City coffers!

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I still can't believe Bournemouth have bought Kelly for such a vast sum of cash.  I don't think he's as good as the hype suggests.

Sounds familiar.... Dominic Solanke for £19m 

15 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I am disappointed that Kellys ability and potential at CB will not be progressed at Bristol City. 

Been thinking of posting just this myself. I get all the stuff about it being good business, we have to sell to progress, good move for Lloyd and so on.

But from a personal perspective, and as a City fan, one of the highlights of this season has been seeing Lloyd progress and watching his early Chamionship development. Just like Bobby Reid before him.

Local lads who've come up through the academy proper, not (much as I enjoy them too) players we've borrowed from another club's academy. I'd far rather we made our money from buying and selling the Kodjia's, and could look forward to a team of Bobby Reid's and Lloyd Kelly's taking us to the Premiership. 

Have Sat back and watched comments on Lloyd Kelly move to Bournemouth (and probably repeating some of the here) and while I don't begrudge the player from playing in the premier league (got to be the aim of any player surely) my sadness in the whole thing come from the fact that we have to sell him in the first place... we should be pushing boldly and sensibly for the prem not sit happily to just accepting we are going to sell any player that shows any ability, we should be keeping these players to help us get into the prem. it saddens me greatly that we all accept the situation, ok you could argue £13-17 mill is a daft figure to turn down for a young player (who some would say has really yet to prove himself fully!!!) but why are we not fighting to keep him to get us into the prem...

It has been a decent season better than I expected with all of the outgoings last summer, but lets make it our time to push for the prem. we have progressd over the last few seasons to a top halve team in the Championship (Norwich finished 7 points below us last season and Shef united only 2 points ahead!!! and look what happened to them this season) I have a feint hope we will go for it this season and get in the players we really need (LB, CB, RB, CM & prolific striker) I don't mean for one second go and spend ridiculous amounts of money for the sake of it, we have to spend it but wisely and on the right players if that's means paying more in wages to get the quality then so be it...

I'm sure many of you wont agree and some will... as said before I for one would like to see in my lifetime us get to the Promised Land of the premier league, not always be same the oh so close but not just quite enough for little Bristol City..

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Have heard this morning that the fee, with add-ons, is up to £21 million 

That’s obscene if true.

Although Kelly may have some faults,  he also has some fantastic attributes and I believe the Premier League will suit him just fine. 

I think he be will a success. It’s a cracking deal all round!

5 minutes ago, keflav said:

Have Sat back and watched comments on Lloyd Kelly move to Bournemouth (and probably repeating some of the here) and while I don't begrudge the player from playing in the premier league (got to be the aim of any player surely) my sadness in the whole thing come from the fact that we have to sell him in the first place... we should be pushing boldly and sensibly for the prem not sit happily to just accepting we are going to sell any player that shows any ability, we should be keeping these players to help us get into the prem. it saddens me greatly that we all accept the situation, ok you could argue £13-17 mill is a daft figure to turn down for a young player (who some would say has really yet to prove himself fully!!!) but why are we not fighting to keep him to get us into the prem...

It has been a decent season better than I expected with all of the outgoings last summer, but lets make it our time to push for the prem. we have progressd over the last few seasons to a top halve team in the Championship (Norwich finished 7 points below us last season and Shef united only 2 points ahead!!! and look what happened to them this season) I have a feint hope we will go for it this season and get in the players we really need (LB, CB, RB, CM & prolific striker) I don't mean for one second go and spend ridiculous amounts of money for the sake of it, we have to spend it but wisely and on the right players if that's means paying more in wages to get the quality then so be it...

I'm sure many of you wont agree and some will... as said before I for one would like to see in my lifetime us get to the Promised Land of the premier league, not always be same the oh so close but not just quite enough for little Bristol City..

I feel that the Kelly transfer money will be more important to the club than Kelly the player.  It will be the launch pad for promotion to the top tier.  Our accounts are healthy, we don't seem to have any serious debt, so should be able to invest a large percentage of that into a quality goal-scoring striker.  I hope that is the club's intention. 

12 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Isn't it funny that those who are so regularly anti LJ MA & SL, who vent their spleen after a loss ( often at just going a goal down- on here cos they don't actually go to matches) can find mega fault at selling a player who in all honesty hasn't really done much for us other than becoming our record transfer fee. 

We haven't really missed Bryan or Flint and I just can't think that Bobby would have made the difference between us getting into the Premier League which is ,in any event,increasingly looking like when not if.

Agree with you, and we certainly didn't miss Flint and Bryan (not so sure about Bobby) this season. But what worries me slightly is this. Flint and Bryan were half of a back four the shipped goals consistently over 2-3 seasons. This season we've had a much much solider looking back four, and if we don't keep Kalas or Dasilva then that's at least half of it gone. And just because we've successfully filled gaps like that one year doesn't mean we will again.

Archived