IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly Bournemouth 13 million

Dynamite Red

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I feel that the Kelly transfer money will be more important to the club than Kelly the player.  It will be the launch pad for promotion to the top tier.  Our accounts are healthy, we don't seem to have any serious debt, so should be able to invest a large percentage of that into a quality goal-scoring striker.  I hope that is the club's intention. 

yes agree with your point about the Kelly money, but I was not talking Kelly individually more the selling of any players who show any abilities is always frustrating as a supporter... I guess it makes us sustainable, but we really need to see this money invested in quality to compete with the top of the championship..    

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Not saying SL should splash the cash, but other clubs appear able to circumvent FFP with ease.

Some ideas on that.

Provided it's fair value and market rate...we could get each stand sponsored by an SL company or a company to which he is linked. Maybe HL one stand, his green energy interests another, his Botswana interests a further one.

Same could go for training ground, whatever else is being built on the Wickes site- basically make sure is legally watertight with fair market rate and I see no reasons for trouble- have it independently assessed if necessary. It's if we vastly inflate there would be problems, but all that cash would help- every pound counts in this FFP time. 

Of course then, the big one- naming rights for AG. Sell it, to the highest bidder- and with our profile growing in recent times, what with being a good club in a League that is seriously on the rise, that could bring in more cash.

If we want to go down that road that is- the tradeoff is it would be going down the total corporate road, dunno if we want that- what price success etc- but it's surely a path we could financially legitimately consider.

13 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Clubs that don't have a the luxury of having a multi billionaire owner 'fan'

The point is that we cannot keep a player at the club , expect him to perform at a hundred percent, week in week out if he wants to go .

There may be players who are content to stay at one club for all their career but most will want to improve their salary, perceived chances of glory and who can blame them ?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some ideas on that.

Provided it's fair value and market rate...we could get each stand sponsored by an SL company or a company to which he is linked. Maybe HL one stand, his green energy interests another, his Botswana interests a further one.

Same could go for training ground, whatever else is being built on the Wickes site- basically make sure is legally watertight with fair market rate and I see no reasons for trouble- have it independently assessed if necessary. It's if we vastly inflate there would be problems, but all that cash would help- every pound counts in this FFP time. 

Of course then, the big one- naming rights for AG. Sell it, to the highest bidder- and with our profile growing in recent times, what with being a good club in a League seriously on the rise, that could bring in more cash.

If we want to go down that road that is- the tradeoff is it would be going down the total corporate road, dunno if we want that- what price success etc- but it's surely a path we could financially legitimately consider.

If it massively helped the club, and Ashton Gate would still be part of the name, I would be ok with the club selling the naming rights for the stadium, or securing a new, lucrative stadium sponsor.

Of course, these pages and other internet pages would be full of complaint, but we would always refer to the ground as Ashton Gate, so I wouldn't see a problem.  It is the modern way of the game.

14 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Oh loving that you all have head in the sand regarding the finances. LJ and MA can spend millions again and you all think it is fantasy football. I will not bore you with the numbers (far too complex , but it will shake you to the bone) as you are all playing championship manager. BCFC should have been building a future around players like Reid, Bryan and Kelly. Instead they are selling them to pay for awful transfer policy and a multitude of wasted signings. How wonderfully gullible you all are. Makes the life of LJ and MA so much easier. 

Probably the most condescending post I’ve ever seen on OTIB. 

Congratulations.

Oh and please accept my humble apologies for apparently not possessing the wit to comprehend the complexity of the numbers to which you refer. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some ideas on that.

Of course then, the big one- naming rights for AG. Sell it, to the highest bidder- and with our profile growing in recent times, what with being a good club in a League that is seriously on the rise, that could bring in more cash.

I would like to think that has all been considered Mr P. Additionally, I can't recall whether it was definitively stated that the club couldn't trade in fixed assets (eg: property so for example Ashton Vale could have been transferred to Bristol Sport/BCFC and then sold for development.

SL has spent plenty already of course and he might not wish to piss tens of millions more against the wall on players when he knows he is unlikely to get any return on such "investment"

His perogative, and nobody should be too critical.

14 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Probably the most condescending post I’ve ever seen on OTIB. 

Congratulations.

Oh and please accept my humble apologies for apparently not possessing the wit to comprehend the complexity of the numbers to which you refer. 

I'd like to see those numbers and judge for myself whether they are "too complex" If they are, then we have several very savvy accountants on here who can translate it into layman's terms.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Agree with you, and we certainly didn't miss Flint and Bryan (not so sure about Bobby) this season. But what worries me slightly is this. Flint and Bryan were half of a back four the shipped goals consistently over 2-3 seasons. This season we've had a much much solider looking back four, and if we don't keep Kalas or Dasilva then that's at least half of it gone. And just because we've successfully filled gaps like that one year doesn't mean we will again.

Completely agree with back four dilemma. I suspect this is a point not lost on the coaching staff either. However, I think we ( BCFC) are in an entirely enviable position in that we can now compete on virtually every level with the top clubs in Championship.We're not in the Division to make up the numbers as we have been in the past so I think we'll be able to replace what we lose. Having said that, at some point we have to have a side which is not reinvented at every  transfer window!

14 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Oh loving that you all have head in the sand regarding the finances. LJ and MA can spend millions again and you all think it is fantasy football. I will not bore you with the numbers (far too complex , but it will shake you to the bone) as you are all playing championship manager. BCFC should have been building a future around players like Reid, Bryan and Kelly. Instead they are selling them to pay for awful transfer policy and a multitude of wasted signings. How wonderfully gullible you all are. Makes the life of LJ and MA so much easier. 

Thank God that there is someone out there with the intelligence and insight to assess our future so succinctly.......................unfortunately that someone is most definitely not you, as you have absolutely no idea of LJ n' MA's plans, and nor do I.  Your glib and arrogant assessment seems IMHO completely off target.  We need to trust and and put faith in a management team that has made significant progress over the past few seasons, with a profitable and sensible transfer policy and upwardly mobile league position, until it is proved not to be the case?  Your cheap sniping would be slightly more acceptable if you had waited until we had finished our recruitment for the coming season, but then you would be lacking your perceived ammunition to criticise?  If they fail to fulfil their promise of "bold transfers" then i am certain that they will get plenty of flak, but lets at least give them a chance to overhaul and strengthen the team?  Oh and thanks for not bewildering us lesser mortals with numbers that we wlll surely be unable to comprehend.  You earn one thing though, and that is, quite possibly the most pointlless and misguided post of this month [So far].

4 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

Chelsea loans achieved that as they did before, as that road may now be blocked which road do we choose now?

If you build something should you not try to keep the best bits of what you have built and add to them? we seem determined to be continuously selling our assets.

In the last 2 Jan windows it was very much in our hands, we dropped it and we failed to build and push on from good position, its like we don't want to make that last step and pay its cost.?

Exactly ..... you've sussed it out 

5 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

Chelsea loans achieved that as they did before, as that road may now be blocked which road do we choose now?

If you build something should you not try to keep the best bits of what you have built and add to them? we seem determined to be continuously selling our assets.

In the last 2 Jan windows it was very much in our hands, we dropped it and we failed to build and push on from good position, its like we don't want to make that last step and pay its cost.?

I don't think the club has to sell so can't agree they are "determined" to sell assets. I do though agree that our apparent reticence to splash the cash when we are definitely in with a shout of at least the playoffs the past 2 seasons might encourage players to seek moves and once that happens, they go in 90% of instances or the club has a demotivated player on their hands.

12 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Thank God that there is someone out there with the intelligence and insight to assess our future so succinctly.......................unfortunately that someone is most definitely not you, as you have absolutely no idea of LJ n' MA's plans, and nor do I.  Your glib and arrogant assessment seems IMHO completely off target.  We need to trust and and put faith in a management team that has made significant progress over the past few seasons, with a profitable and sensible transfer policy and upwardly mobile league position, until it is proved not to be the case?  Your cheap sniping would be slightly more acceptable if you had waited until we had finished our recruitment for the coming season, but then you would be lacking your perceived ammunition to criticise?  If they fail to fulfil their promise of "bold transfers" then i am certain that they will get plenty of flak, but lets at least give them a chance to overhaul and strengthen the team?  Oh and thanks for not bewildering us lesser mortals with numbers that we wlll surely be unable to comprehend.  You earn one thing though, and that is, quite possibly the most pointlless and misguided post of this month [So far].

Mmmm..., As you say in your post ... you have no idea. So please don't put down someone who clearly has more understanding than you do. 

1 hour ago, keflav said:

Have Sat back and watched comments on Lloyd Kelly move to Bournemouth (and probably repeating some of the here) and while I don't begrudge the player from playing in the premier league (got to be the aim of any player surely) my sadness in the whole thing come from the fact that we have to sell him in the first place... we should be pushing boldly and sensibly for the prem not sit happily to just accepting we are going to sell any player that shows any ability, we should be keeping these players to help us get into the prem. it saddens me greatly that we all accept the situation, ok you could argue £13-17 mill is a daft figure to turn down for a young player (who some would say has really yet to prove himself fully!!!) but why are we not fighting to keep him to get us into the prem...

It has been a decent season better than I expected with all of the outgoings last summer, but lets make it our time to push for the prem. we have progressd over the last few seasons to a top halve team in the Championship (Norwich finished 7 points below us last season and Shef united only 2 points ahead!!! and look what happened to them this season) I have a feint hope we will go for it this season and get in the players we really need (LB, CB, RB, CM & prolific striker) I don't mean for one second go and spend ridiculous amounts of money for the sake of it, we have to spend it but wisely and on the right players if that's means paying more in wages to get the quality then so be it...

I'm sure many of you wont agree and some will... as said before I for one would like to see in my lifetime us get to the Promised Land of the premier league, not always be same the oh so close but not just quite enough for little Bristol City..

Yes, yes, yes !!! You've almost sussed out the game plan by the owner... stay as we are and keep the lid on it 

14 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Isn't it funny that those who are so regularly anti LJ MA & SL, who vent their spleen after a loss ( often at just going a goal down- on here cos they don't actually go to matches) can find mega fault at selling a player who in all honesty hasn't really done much for us other than becoming our record transfer fee. 

We haven't really missed Bryan or Flint and I just can't think that Bobby would have made the difference between us getting into the Premier League which is ,in any event,increasingly looking like when not if.

Couldn't agree more.

Kelly struggled to maintain a spot in the starting XI. Made a number of costly mistakes. Bournemouth turn up with £13mil, happy days, daylight robbery. Let's just hope we spend it correctly this time.

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Perhaps because Bournemouth get approximately £90m a year from being in the premier league? 

one flaw with that argument, they weren`t always in the prem....., how did they get there in the first place, did they sell their best players to do so, if they did they would of had to buy better players than they sold or had a better manager and chairman who wanted it more?

3 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

one flaw with that argument, they weren`t always in the prem....., how did they get there in the first place, did they sell their best players to do so, if they did they would of had to buy better players than they sold or had a better manager and chairman who wanted it more?

No they got fined for breaking FFP rules, they took the gamble they'd make the premier league then screw the consequences because they did. If they had stayed down it would be a very different story.

18 hours ago, Monkeh said:

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Did anyone else find it odd that the piece City released on the OS failed to mention or give any indication about the money or length of contract?

Not at all, it’s the done thing in football. 

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

If it massively helped the club, and Ashton Gate would still be part of the name, I would be ok with the club selling the naming rights for the stadium, or securing a new, lucrative stadium sponsor.

Of course, these pages and other internet pages would be full of complaint, but we would always refer to the ground as Ashton Gate, so I wouldn't see a problem.  It is the modern way of the game.

Do you still call the Lansdown Stand the Grandstand and the Atyeo Stand the Open End? :dunno:

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Have heard this morning that the fee, with add-ons, is up to £21 million 

Wow, that is an eye watering sum if true. Personally I think we've let him go at a fantastic time as he is not yet irreplaceable and we have a couple of months to sort out a replacement. Bournemouth were obviously very keen to get him in quickly before Liverpool got in. 

23 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Do you still call the Lansdown Stand the Grandstand and the Atyeo Stand the Open End? :dunno:

I still call the South stand,the East end?

9 hours ago, eastonboy said:

It works like this - you play 46 games in a season and points are awarded for a win or a draw.

If at the end of the season you have enough points you get "promoted" to the league above.

Here to help.

Hey Sherlock, what if you spend to much during that season do the F.F.P mob come and get you, or does it depend on whether you are famous or not?

19 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Such an awful transfer policy has improved our league position/team season on season

which makes your post pretty much complete bollox 

I wouldn’t swap Webster for flint or Bryan for dasilva 

Whom you would 'swap Webster for may well be next..

Get yer 'thinkin cap on!

25 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

We might get some clarification tonight from LJ but if TKIR is right (pretty reliable as far as I can tell) then that's madness. And given his potential, it could well end up being the full £21m too.

I take your point but in the context of the hyper inflation in transfer fees in recent years it's pretty par.

Though I do expect, and hope, that the inflationary bubble will eventually burst.

Archived